Author Topic: 'Net neutrality' ends, your internet provider can change how you use the internet  (Read 2176 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Weird.  I read the WacoTrib earlier this morning and just got the WacoTrib.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Weird.  I read the WacoTrib earlier this morning and just got the WacoTrib.

You were probably connecting from within the US.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
You were probably connecting from within the US.

Yes, I was.  I assumed that you were too.

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Yes, I was.  I assumed that you were too.

It is the World Wide Web, isn't it?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
It is the World Wide Web, isn't it?

So I've heard. But, with this net neutrality going away, who knows?

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
So I've heard. But, with this net neutrality going away, who knows?

Its a double whammy with Net Neutrality and GDPR hitting simultaneously.

General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR)

GDPR is a regulation that requires businesses to protect the personal data and privacy of EU citizens for transactions that occur within EU member states. And non-compliance could cost companies dearly.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
dfw wrote:
"The "Net Neutrality Act" made the Net Neutral, like the "Affordable Health Care Act" made health care affordable..."

And that's the post of the day, folks !!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Its a double whammy with Net Neutrality and GDPR hitting simultaneously.

GDPR is a regulation that requires businesses to protect the personal data and privacy of EU citizens for transactions that occur within EU member states. And non-compliance could cost companies dearly.

GDPR effects companies all over.  If you collect data from the EU then it impacts you.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online The_Reader_David

Let the damn free market work it out.  The Gubbermint needed to GTFO and it did.   Lets rock.

The free market only sorts things out when there is effective competition. Internet connectivity in any given place is provided by at best an oligopoly, and in some places a monopoly.  With things like the AT&T - Time/Warner merger creating vertical trusts combining internet connection and content provision, ISPs will start providing incentives to buy/use the content they own (or have agreements with) and dissuade users from accessing content that doesn't add extra to their bottom line.  This can also affect access to news by making favored news sources easier to access.  If you think that would be good for the right, think again.

Net neutrality was a regulation that like anti-trust laws represented a pro-market intervention, rather than a pro-business (pick winners and losers) intervention, or a the sort of drag on the market that pointless regulations make (favoring large incumbents with big legal departments).   I commend to your attention Luigi Zingales' "A Capitalism for the People" which explains the difference between pro-market and pro-business regulation, along with the concept of regulatory capture (which is what just happened in the repeal of net neutrality -- the industry regulated gaining effective control of the regulations so that they favor large incumbents in the market).
« Last Edit: June 13, 2018, 12:50:48 am by The_Reader_David »
And when they behead your own people in the wars which are to come, then you will know what this was all about.

Offline Drago

• "Life is a Journey"

Haven't read any EU "GDPR" regs yet...."it's a wacky EU thing"...not really worth hours of reading...but what is the definition of "transactions that occur within EU member states"?  "BH Media Group" (Waco, "TX Tribune") lawyers must think this includes EU citizens accessing US websites as they now state "This website is intended for U.S. residents only" on the bottom of their website, and their "TOS" (Terms of Service) nows states:
"Prohibited Uses
This Site is not intended for use by persons located within the European Economic Area (EEA). We do not request or accept personal information concerning or supplied by persons who are located within the EEA at the time they access this Site. If you have accessed this Site from within the EEA, you should immediately discontinue your use. If you have supplied personal information to us in violation of this provision, whether through the registration of new user accounts or otherwise, please contact us via e-mail."

Wouldn't the local EU ISP be responsible for "blocking" (your "451 Error"?) any "non-GDPR" compliant sites?  Sounds like a mess....especially for EU ISP's.