Author Topic: Trump is a bully who thought Canada was weak. He was wrong about us  (Read 490 times)

Offline Suppressed

Trump is a bully who thought Canada was weak. He was wrong about us
The president’s temper tantrum shows Canada can’t trust its closest ally – and we’ll go to the wall for our overpriced cheese if it becomes a point of national self-respect
Jen Gerson    Mon 11 Jun 2018 02.00 EDT
https://www.theguardian.com/world/commentisfree/2018/jun/11/trump-canada-bully-trade-trudeau

It was, by all accounts, a tense conversation over trade and the economy. The US president called the Canadian prime minister an “asshole”. When the prime minister learned of it, he responded: “I’ve been called worse things by better people.”

[...]

Navarro’s comments seem crafted to test those traits. Trump may be a polarizing figure in the US, but he is turning out to be a great unifier of Canadians. Many of Canada’s most rabidly anti-Trudeau conservatives are striking a sympathetic tone with the prime minister. Former Conservative prime minister Stephen Harper even showed up on Fox News to talk trade in support of Trudeau, saying: “I don’t understand the obsession with the trade relationship with Canada.”

With respect to Harper, it’s not difficult to understand at all. Trump is a bully. Bullies pick on those they perceive to be weak. Criticizing Trudeau for seeming to be “meek” and “mild”, as Trump did, is telling language.

The problem, for Trump, is that he is wrong. Canada’s population and economy may be smaller than America’s, but that does not make us weak. Trump has focused his ire on Canadian dairy, where we maintain a “supply management” system that keeps foreign products out of the country. Many Canadians would like to see the back of it, and Trump could have pushed Canada closer to dismantling this system as part of ongoing Nafta renegotiations.

Best of luck with that now, Mr Art of the Deal. Canadians won’t consent to scrapping our supply management system if it becomes a point of national self-respect. We won’t be reduced to a simpering client state. If a few years of economic hardship is the cost of our pride, so be it.

[...]

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Re: Trump is a bully who thought Canada was weak. He was wrong about us
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2018, 08:08:46 pm »
If you have to tell us that you are not weak...yeah, you are weak.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2018, 08:12:39 pm »
Trump To Canada.  "We’re America, Bitch"

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2018, 08:24:21 pm »
America doesn't think Canada is weak.

Polite?  Yes
in love with Hockey?  oh yeah

However we do think Trudeau is weak and of spectacular bad judgement.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2018, 08:24:53 pm »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2018, 08:27:27 pm »
Germany is holding up the EU and hanging by a thread.   This move puts increased pressure on them and the globalists aren't pleased.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2018, 08:36:29 pm »
America doesn't think Canada is weak.

Polite?  Yes
in love with Hockey?  oh yeah

However we do think Trudeau is weak and of spectacular bad judgement.

Agreed, there.

A lot of Canadians would agree.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn