Author Topic: Crisis at the National Archives  (Read 4858 times)

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

Re: Crisis at the National Archives
« Reply #75 on: June 11, 2018, 08:10:54 pm »
Exactly!

There's some question about whether electronic document management will improve this problem or not.

If the documents make it into the right electronic system, it should.

There are relatively high end storage devices which are specifically designed to NOT allow you to delete anything for exactly such cases as this ("exactly such"???).  They also almost always keep multiple copies on multiple (remote) systems, with processes running in the background checking checksums on files so that if anything is corrupted it can be recovered from one of the other copies.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #76 on: June 11, 2018, 08:15:51 pm »
The problem in the original topic is the documents aren't anywhere to be found in order to get them into a digital management system.  They disappeared somewhere between the White House and the Archive.

Understood. 

But for future problems...
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #77 on: June 11, 2018, 08:16:22 pm »
If the documents make it into the right electronic system, it should.

There are relatively high end storage devices which are specifically designed to NOT allow you to delete anything for exactly such cases as this ("exactly such"???).  They also almost always keep multiple copies on multiple (remote) systems, with processes running in the background checking checksums on files so that if anything is corrupted it can be recovered from one of the other copies.

Yup.  Bare minimum for optimum data retention.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #78 on: June 11, 2018, 08:17:50 pm »
Understood. 

But for future problems...

Yes.  And, as for electronic retention, ripped and taped documents are the next best thing as not retained at all.  How the heck are you supposed to run OCR on that to create searchable docs?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #79 on: June 11, 2018, 08:21:24 pm »
Yes.  And, as for electronic retention, ripped and taped documents are the next best thing as not retained at all.  How the heck are you supposed to run OCR on that to create searchable docs?

The software will do wonders these days.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #80 on: June 11, 2018, 08:37:14 pm »
The software will do wonders these days.

Could be.  I'll admit I'm a bit behind the times.
I will NOT comply.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #81 on: June 11, 2018, 08:39:55 pm »
Outside the missing documents, the biggest problem I see here is in allowing any one person the power to decide what is, or is not,  a government document.   How the hell did THAT happen?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #82 on: June 11, 2018, 08:48:14 pm »
Outside the missing documents, the biggest problem I see here is in allowing any one person the power to decide what is, or is not,  a government document.   How the hell did THAT happen?

:thumbsup:

Good catch, @Bigun!
I will NOT comply.

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #83 on: June 11, 2018, 09:53:33 pm »
The article isn't about the bleep Tony awards either.  Like I said, I think both the information in the article by the OP and the one posted by Supressed are important. I get that you don't care about Trump trashi g docs he's supposed to archive. What is the big damn deal about us disagreeing?
@RoosGirl
Is there a way to inject Cruz into this thread and make it go nuclear? I understand that people disagree about Trump, hell there are days I really like him and days I am really disappointed in him (to put it as diplomatically as I can). But multiple threads have degenerated into a childish my dogs better than your dog theme.

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #84 on: June 11, 2018, 10:32:46 pm »

Bigun said, "Outside the missing documents, the biggest problem I see here is in allowing any one person the power to decide what is, or is not,  a government document."

@Cyber Liberty, see my post 31 where I brought up this problem. 
« Last Edit: June 11, 2018, 10:33:58 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
« Reply #85 on: June 11, 2018, 10:40:24 pm »
Bigun said, "Outside the missing documents, the biggest problem I see here is in allowing any one person the power to decide what is, or is not,  a government document."

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #86 on: June 11, 2018, 10:49:54 pm »

@Victoria33

You did.  I missed in the conflagration started by the attempt to turn this into just another Trump War thread.  Sorry.
I will NOT comply.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #87 on: June 11, 2018, 10:49:59 pm »
It is unclear, the article says the men thata were taping things back together so that they couod be archived as required were fired. So, is anyone doing that job now or are things just remaining ripped up and tossed away?

@RoosGirl

Beats the hell out of me. I'm not even going to bet we ever hear the true story.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #88 on: June 11, 2018, 10:53:57 pm »
@RoosGirl

Beats the hell out of me. I'm not even going to bet we ever hear the true story.

I'd guess, from that article, they got canned for complaining about it, and then they leaked it.
I will NOT comply.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #89 on: June 11, 2018, 11:01:07 pm »
@RoosGirl
Is there a way to inject Cruz into this thread and make it go nuclear? I understand that people disagree about Trump, hell there are days I really like him and days I am really disappointed in him (to put it as diplomatically as I can). But multiple threads have degenerated into a childish my dogs better than your dog theme.

Hah, I don't get people getting worked up about Cruz either.  If you look at what happened on this thread though, someone didn't like that an article that explained that it appears that Trump also is ditching docs that are supposed to be archived.  It is absolutely related to the original article; Obama era tricks, like using private email, to circumvent a program that he put in place to archive docs.  This wasn't all about files being removed that were there previously.  The original article explains that they think what Sandy Berger was stealing out of the archives were originals that had margin notes in it.  It wasn't about the original doc being gone, but what had been written in the side margins by the administration that he was getting rid of.  Same thing that the article posted by Suppressed was talking about with Trump. He writes things, highlights things, etc. on the original docs and then decides to rip them up.  I doubt he's doing it because there's some incriminating evidence he's trying to get rid of.  Sounds like it's habit, but that doesn't cut it anymore.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #90 on: June 11, 2018, 11:02:11 pm »
I'd guess, from that article, they got canned for complaining about it, and then they leaked it.

Yeah, and they should have complained about it.  Sounds like what Trump was doing was illegal.

Offline MOD8

« Reply #91 on: June 11, 2018, 11:17:41 pm »
They all suck, especially @MOD8

Anarchy rules, long live ANARCHY!

Thank your lucky stars that i'm in a good mood today @driftdiver 

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #92 on: June 11, 2018, 11:18:22 pm »
Yeah, and they should have complained about it.  Sounds like what Trump was doing was illegal.

Yup.  It's the same mentality that had Hillary Clinton using private servers for her State Department correspondence.
I will NOT comply.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #93 on: June 11, 2018, 11:24:42 pm »

Un hitch your horse and GTFO. 

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #94 on: June 11, 2018, 11:40:51 pm »
Un hitch your horse and GTFO.
Get The Fringe Off?  I thought cowboy shirts were supposed to have fringe.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #95 on: June 11, 2018, 11:48:11 pm »

@MOD8

So in response to a joke you had to say that.  Effin ban me bitch
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #96 on: June 11, 2018, 11:51:20 pm »
@MOD8

So in response to a joke you had to say that.  Effin ban me bitch

Well shit, don't make them ban you.  You're fun to pick on.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #97 on: June 12, 2018, 12:09:58 am »
Get The Fringe Off?  I thought cowboy shirts were supposed to have fringe.

You ain't no cowboy.  But you are on the fringe

Online corbe

« Reply #98 on: June 12, 2018, 12:26:32 am »
    Mod8 must be an NT'er cause all the Trumpers really seem to hate her/him/it.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #99 on: June 12, 2018, 01:33:11 am »
    Mod8 must be an NT'er cause all the Trumpers really seem to hate her/him/it.

AI, artificial intelligence, no doubt.