Author Topic: Romney looks to lead GOP’s establishment wing  (Read 668 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Romney looks to lead GOP’s establishment wing
« on: June 10, 2018, 07:58:31 pm »
Mitt Romney is positioning himself to be a force in the Senate — and a potential counterweight to Donald Trump.

By ALEX ISENSTADT

06/10/2018 06:39 AM EDT

“I think he’s going to be a player, personally, in foreign relations,” retiring Tennessee Republican Sen. Bob Corker said of Mitt Romney. | Gene Sweeney Jr./Getty Images

By Jack Shafer

DEER VALLEY, UTAH — Mitt Romney is mapping out plans to become a major player in the Senate — positioning himself to be the spokesman of a listless Republican Party establishment that’s been steamrolled by President Donald Trump.

The failed presidential candidate turned Utah Senate hopeful has made it clear to senior party officials that he intends to make a splash with his all-but-certain arrival on Capitol Hill next year, according to nearly a dozen senators, major party donors and confidants who’ve spoken with him.

He’s conveyed a desire to be a loud voice on fiscal issues, railing against the ballooning federal deficit and how Congress approves last-minute spending bills. He’s expressed an interest in joining the foreign affairs committee, saying he wants to speak out on the importance of the country’s role abroad and the threat posed by Russia....

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/06/10/mitt-romney-senate-trump-635008

Not gonna work.

Offline dfwgator

Re: Romney looks to lead GOP’s establishment wing
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2018, 08:08:47 pm »

Online corbe

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2018, 08:22:53 pm »
   Laugh but there are at least 30 or 40 of them that would crown Romney a king, with no hesitation.   The Senate is already so f'd up it probably wouldn't make a difference.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2018, 08:44:08 pm »
"Mitt is the voice, the face of the Republican Party,” said Scott Keller, a Utah real estate executive who recently hosted a fundraiser for Romney. “I absolutely expect him to fill in for the folks that are leaving."

Among those Romney has spoken with has been the retiring Corker — who, like Romney, has at times found himself in open combat with Trump.

“I think he’s going to be a player, personally, in foreign relations,” said Corker, who has spent the past 3 1/2years holding the gavel of the powerful Senate Foreign Relations Committee. “I think he has an interest there, and I think that’s a place where he might make a mark.”

I know little about Utah politics, but I can't help wonder how the voters feel about Romney using them to launch a Presidential campaign against a President they voted for in 2016.

Maybe Mike Kennedy should look into this.

Online libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 09:22:44 pm »
GOPe =  L O S E R S!!!!    IF this is indeed what Mitt is going to campaign on, he will lose.  I like Mitt as a person but as a politician, not so much.
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2018, 09:35:45 pm »
I know little about Utah politics, but I can't help wonder how the voters feel about Romney using them to launch a Presidential campaign against a President they voted for in 2016.

Maybe Mike Kennedy should look into this.

Romney's supporters look to be a membership recruitment target group, for any anti-Trump site that is so inclined.

A chance to join the McMains and Flakes and Becks and McMuffins of the political landscape.

"The "Never Presidents"
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Online GtHawk

• I don't believe in Trump anymore, he's an illusion
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2018, 10:18:37 pm »
I understand he's gonna have patches, club jackets, license plate frames  and everything made up for  'Romney's RINOS" .