Author Topic: Stemming the flow of plastic waste  (Read 549 times)

rangerrebew

Stemming the flow of plastic waste
« on: June 09, 2018, 04:13:19 pm »

Environment
    8th June 2018

Stemming the flow of plastic waste

Article by Amanda Doyle

EUROPE has proposed a law banning or restricting single-use plastics, the UN has released a policy roadmap on how to restrict the use of plastic, and there have been a wave of pledges from people and companies worldwide to phase out the plastic that is causing extreme damage to the environment.

Plastic is undeniably a useful and convenient commodity, however of the 9bn t of it that has been produced since the 1950s, only 9% has been recycled. Around 12% has been incinerated, and the remaining 79% is either dumped in landfills or in the environment. If humanity continues this trend, there will be 12bn t of plastic in landfills and the environment by 2050.

https://www.thechemicalengineer.com/news/stemming-the-flow-of-plastic-waste/

Offline catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
Re: Stemming the flow of plastic waste
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2018, 04:23:54 pm »
Funny the enviro-whackos who choose to attack plastic as a viable use for containers, totally forget to recycle.

I am old enough to remember where almost everything consumable was in a box or in glass.  I sure don't want to return to those days.

Oh and btw  enirowhackos .... I guess empty glass containers  won't take up landfill space either.  /s   9999hair out0000
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2018, 04:30:40 pm »
Packaging can be made from "biodegradables" like soy.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2018, 04:52:43 pm »
And, packaging can be much more simple and use less material.  I think the trends to cut down on shoplifting and product tampering combined with using attractive packaging to sell stuff has made for some seriously overpackaging. 

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2018, 06:47:53 am »
Just quit eating plastic food.

(Okay, I'll go back and read the article... :shrug:)
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis