Author Topic: What if Star Wars never happened?  (Read 2332 times)

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Re: What if Star Wars never happened?
« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2018, 03:18:07 pm »
I not only don't like modern animation, I don't like Pixar either. In fact, I detest Pixar.
I have no huge dislike for SWs or the sequels. I just couldn't get into it. However, I was a huge original Star Trek fan, so I have no inherent dislike for that genre/type of movie.
Modern westerns are a chore to get through. I've seen a number of remakes, like "3:10 to Yuma", and they stink.
I don't know if you could consider the original "Westworld" a western or just a science-fiction flick, but I liked it.  I rooted for Richard Benjamin's character to kill the Yul Brynner gunslinger-robot.
I like moves where there are good people and bad people. I do get the idea that not everything is either good or bad..the shades of gray thing.
But modern moviemakers just can't help themselves injecting their politics or sexual biases into their movies.
The wife and I tried to watch the new "Westworld" on HBO, but it is so irritating, I couldn't stand it midway through the first episode.  It is actually boring as h*ll even with all the fake blood and gore.
Once again Hollyweird takes something that worked and wrecks it.
I'm with you in that I like movies where the lines between good and evil are more in synch with Biblical good vs evil. The old epics of De Mille and movies like Spartacus and Ben Hur (I like the one with Charlton Hesston best) were good stuff, too. The last good 'western'was set in Australia, imho, (Quigley Down Under) although the Snowy River movies aren't bad (some great riding in those) and they, too are in Australia.
Some gore made a point, but too much and it's just a red lens. Keep in mind that the real spaltterflick classics, from Psycho to Night of the Living Dead and the Texas Chainsaw Massacres were all in black and white.

As for modern animation, well, cartoons people feel nostalgic for now were a step down from the old Loony Toons of the day, and from Roger Ramjet and Speed Racer, those went down hill. With current CGI capabilities, there is no excuse for slop. That said, the ability to do that CGI leaves the movie once again dependent on the story line, and that is the weakest point in Hollywood. The forcible injection of political themes, gender bias, and gratuitous (as in irrelevant to the plot) sexual deviancy completely unnecessary to the plot leaves so many stories sullied, like dog crap on a golf green. Who wants to watch that, much less pay to?

When Hollywood sticks with themes people can readily identify with without having to dust off and uncomfortably inflate their 'diversity' tolerances in defiance of their morals, the bottom line does better, all else being equal.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis