Author Topic: With pardoned Alice Johnson shouting, 'I love you, President Trump!' – leftists stew at how Trump o  (Read 641 times)

rangerrebew

June 7, 2018
With pardoned Alice Johnson shouting, 'I love you, President Trump!' – leftists stew at how Trump outsmarted them
By Monica Showalter

Only on the left would we see the presidential pardon of a nonviolent drug offender, a cause that up until now has been a Sorosian shibboleth, greeted with grumbles.

Why?  Because President Trump took the initiative to get it done, hearing of the 63-year-old grandmother's plight from big-name celebrity Kim Kardashian.  The left loathes Trump more than it values that woman and the cause she represents, so a good deed suddenly becomes a bad deed.

Here's how the left and its media minions took it, starting with the Guardian:

Read more: https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/06/with_pardoned_alice_johnson_shouting_i_love_you_president_trump__the_left_stews_at_being_outsmarted_by_him.html#ixzz5HpgLnwN0

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
I was all for this pardon at first. Who wouldn't be when it involved a grandmother getting such a heavy sentence for a first offense of what seemed like her making a few extra bucks to help her balance her budget?

Then it is reported she was hooked into a drug cartel from Mexico as a distributor. Suddenly she isn't sounding so "small time granny",is she?
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
I was all for this pardon at first. Who wouldn't be when it involved a grandmother getting such a heavy sentence for a first offense of what seemed like her making a few extra bucks to help her balance her budget?

Then it is reported she was hooked into a drug cartel from Mexico as a distributor. Suddenly she isn't sounding so "small time granny",is she?

@sneakypete
IMO she did her time.   I'm not a big fan of the war on drugs and footing the bill to keep grannies in prison.  Dunno, no easy answers.

BUT it is fun to watch the left squirm.   They've been pushing sentencing reform for years and couldn't get it done, even under Obama.    Trump commutes the sentence for the poster child of prison reform and they just can't swallow it.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@sneakypete
IMO she did her time.   I'm not a big fan of the war on drugs and footing the bill to keep grannies in prison.  Dunno, no easy answers.

BUT it is fun to watch the left squirm.   They've been pushing sentencing reform for years and couldn't get it done, even under Obama.    Trump commutes the sentence for the poster child of prison reform and they just can't swallow it.

The Dems wanted her for a political football.  President Trump took it away from them.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

@driftdiver

I have mixed feelings now that I know she was part of a 50 million dollar a year drug ring from Mexico,but 21 years for a first offense may be reasonable if she was indeed "management" on the US distribution side. I just object her being portrayed as some sort of innocent grannie that was selling an occasional dime bag for grocery money.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
The Dems wanted her for a political football.  President Trump took it away from them.

@Cyber Liberty

No doubt about it,he is making fools out of them with pretty much everything he does. Who knows how many black votes this is going to get him now that Kanye and a Kardashian whore are praising him?

Offline driftdiver

@driftdiver

I have mixed feelings now that I know she was part of a 50 million dollar a year drug ring from Mexico,but 21 years for a first offense may be reasonable if she was indeed "management" on the US distribution side. I just object her being portrayed as some sort of innocent grannie that was selling an occasional dime bag for grocery money.

@sneakypete
I don't disagree but for all the harsh sentencing the availability of drugs hasn't been significantly effected.  These drugs do evil things to people.   I just don't think the answer is throwing more and more people in prison.   Roughly 50% of the people in federal prison are there for drugs.  We have the most people in prison of any industrialized nation.

Then there's the probability that the DA overcharged her.  Who knows, but I doubt she's going to be a major threat to society.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Most Presidents wait till the last days of their presidency to pardon people so as not to face backlash.  Like Clinton who pardoned 140 people in the final hours of his presidency including Marc Rich.

Trump doesn't care.  Don't like the pardon....  Too bad. 

Love it.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete

Then there's the probability that the DA overcharged her.  Who knows, but I doubt she's going to be a major threat to society.

@driftdiver

Not if she was management. They get the big bucks because they take the big risks.

Offline driftdiver

@driftdiver

Not if she was management. They get the big bucks because they take the big risks.

@sneakypete
I dunno, I'm more bothered that he allowed Kim Kardashian into the Oval office.   Heck they were just getting the Clinton stains out and then he went and did that.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
@sneakypete
I dunno, I'm more bothered that he allowed Kim Kardashian into the Oval office.   Heck they were just getting the Clinton stains out and then he went and did that.

@driftdiver

I can't argue with that. I'd be creeped out if I had to fly in the same airplane as a Kardashian.

Then again,Trump is playing at being a politician,and successful politicians have popular public figures speaking well of them if they want to get re-elected and not be shut down by the political opposition.

WHAT Dim politician is going to trash a Kardashian? Even one that says nice things about Trump?

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
@driftdiver I just object her being portrayed as some sort of innocent grannie that was selling an occasional dime bag for grocery money.

I know you probably didn't mean it this way, but it should be pointed that the article got it wrong -- she was not pardoned.  He only commuted her sentence, which means that she is still a felon with that conviction on her record.  So, Trump really didn't make her "innocent".  He just shortened her sentence.

That's different from the true pardons he gave to Jack Johnson, Dinesh D'souza, etc.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 01:46:18 pm by Maj. Bill Martin »

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
I know you probably didn't mean it this way, but it should be pointed that the article got it wrong -- she was not pardoned.  He only commuted her sentence, which means that she is still a felon with that conviction on her record.  So, Trump really didn't make her "innocent".  He just shortened her sentence.

That's different from the true pardons he gave to Jack Johnson, Dinesh D'souza, etc.

Good point.  Same thing with the President's possible action with respect to ex-Chicago mayor Blago - he is considering a commutation of a punitive sentence, not a pardon.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

@Maj. Bill Martin

Thank you for the correction! It might seem minor to some,but you can bet your bippy that granny got the message that if she is arrested again for dealing that she will be facing trial as a repeat offender. This is no minor thing.