Author Topic: Trump claims thousands had to be rescued after going 'out in their boats to watch' Hurricane Harvey  (Read 15488 times)

Offline RoosGirl

Not new ... just don't spend much time here. Carry on, then.  :beer:

Also, your avatar picture is a little blurry. You may consider fixing that.  ^-^

Offline GrouchoTex

Yeah, well you wouldn't have had to gone out and saved people if you didn't build a city in a swamp.

This part is true.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Also, your avatar picture is a little blurry. You may consider fixing that.  ^-^

It's "Artsy."
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline GrouchoTex

I saw what I saw and I heard what I heard, and as a Houston area native, it rubbed me the wrong way.

Still, I know he says stuff that isn't all there, all the time, so I'll just repeat what I'd said earlier (with one additions):

Now, we all know Trump says things like this.

If he was talking about people in boats offshore, trying to ride it out, he would have a valid point. (exception being larger ships will ride out storms in open waters, rather than docked, as it can be safer and cause less damage).
I like that.

Of course, he doesn't make his statements clear enough.

If he was talking about the rescue efforts by the citizens, he's wrong.
I do not like that

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I prefer swimming. I'll even refrain from shaving my legs so I'm less aquadynamic.  :smokin:

Disclamer.  This is not Roos.   Mearly an artistic representation of how shaving can make you "aero" and or Aqua ....
! No longer available
« Last Edit: June 07, 2018, 09:49:16 pm by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

A lot of brouha about nothing.

Trump made a statement that said that some of those who got into harm's way were spectators.  No doubt about it.  It always happens, whether a traffic accident or some weather phenomena.

Was it prudent to say this?  No.  Was it a stretch to say 'thousands'?  Likely.

So somebody give the punch line here.

That Trump is a jerk? Maybe.

That people should not be stupid and place themselves in harm's way? Absolutely.

No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline RoosGirl

Disclamer.  This is not Roos.   Mearly an artistic representation of how shaving can make you "aero" and or Aqua ....
! No longer available

I was just hoping to gross you out enough that you wouldn't chase me.  I don't want a whippin.

Offline RoosGirl

A lot of brouha about nothing.

Trump made a statement that said that some of those who got into harm's way were spectators.  No doubt about it.  It always happens, whether a traffic accident or some weather phenomena.

Was it prudent to say this?  No.  Was it a stretch to say 'thousands'?  Likely.

So somebody give the punch line here.

That Trump is a jerk? Maybe.

That people should not be stupid and place themselves in harm's way? Absolutely.

No, that is not what Trump said.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I was just hoping to gross you out enough that you wouldn't chase me.  I don't want a whippin.

Whatever bloats your float! :cool:
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline GrouchoTex

Fine, so he says "the Coast Guard rescued 16,000 people, most from Texas, who for whatever reason, were in their bots watching the hurricane. It didn't work out so well."

And, everyone here says no big deal, right?
Just Trump being Trump, okay?

I say, the man who is always hollering "fake news" just engaged in it, with this statement.

But, hey, MAGA, SCOTUS, economy, etc.....

He wrong here, and I am calling him out.

I'm sure he'll fix it.

In the next 72 hours, after he talks to Senator Cruz and others, this story will change.
He'll come out and say he didn't mean the brave men and women,etc.....

SSDD.

It gets tiring.

Offline RoosGirl

Whatever bloats your float! :cool:

Ugh, Gatorade does that to me.

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
"People went out in their boats to watch the hurricane. That didn't work out too well."

Uhhh.....

Not exactly.

In fact, not at all.
It didn't happen.

Boats in the flood water, going through neighborhoods, were there to pull people out.
Why?
The coast guard, or any other government entity, couldn't get enough people there to do it.
They didn't have the time or the resources.

If anybody can find me just one instance of someone out there in a boat, just "watching the hurricane", send it my way.

This has made a lot of noise here, and rightly so.
These are disparaging remarks, minimizing the role that 100's, perhaps 1000's, played in getting their fellow citizens, and in most cases, complete strangers, to safety.

Unless he's talking about some fool out in the Gulf on a boat trying to ride it out, I don't like this statement, not one bit.

As one who got to participate in  Harvey......    I sure wish this POTUS could go one week without saying something stupid.

Boats?????    Geeeeeez.......
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 01:00:34 am by catfish1957 »
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline roamer_1

The thing is, it wouldnt be an issue if he  were an honest person who took measure of his words and deeds.

Truth matters, character matters.

FACT.

Offline GrouchoTex

As one who got to participate in  Harvey......    I sure wish this POTUS could go one week without saying something stupid.

Boats?????    Geeeeeez.......

I wished he'd have gone through the same week we all did.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I wish we could go a week without the media covering every single minute thing Trump says. Isn't there any real news out there?
Countdown to Resignation

Offline GrouchoTex

I wish we could go a week without the media covering every single minute thing Trump says. Isn't there any real news out there?

Naw, he's okay with it.
He's been in a fishbowl most of his life.
He likes it.
He wants it.
He isn't naive enough to not know what he was getting into.
He just doesn't care.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member

There's a lot of Trump-free news posted here.  Thankfully.   ^-^

Offline roamer_1

I wished he'd have gone through the same week we all did.

@GrouchoTex
Well, not to diminish what all y'all went through...
But to watch not only Texas, but the whole South and much of the Desert SW descend with every sort of duck boat and john boat, and air boat and, and, and... THAT friend, was a thing of beauty.

There's a vid out there somewhere of mile after mile of pickups with boat trailers riding in with the rain still coming down.

Chokes me up just thinking about that.

That's still the story as far as I am concerned.

Offline skeeter

There is a market for it, unfortunately. As we can see.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@GrouchoTex
But to watch not only Texas, but the whole South and much of the Desert SW descend with every sort of duck boat and john boat, and air boat and, and, and... THAT friend, was a thing of beauty.

There's a vid out there somewhere of mile after mile of pickups with boat trailers riding in with the rain still coming down.

And, that's why this particular Trumpism really gets to us.

Offline GrouchoTex

@GrouchoTex

Pretty amazing.
I heard this week that someone is putting out a book about it all soon, that has first hand accounts, etc.

Offline GrouchoTex

Exactly.
This one hits a little close to home.

Offline roamer_1

That's right.

Offline roamer_1

Pretty amazing.
I heard this week that someone is putting out a book about it all soon, that has first hand accounts, etc.

My cuz couldn't go... but some of his friends did... all the way from Colorado, mind you...

Offline Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Pretty amazing.

There's the Houston Chronicle book

https://www.pediment.com/products/hurricane-harvey-by-the-houston-chronicle-hardcover-book

The Houston Chronicle is proud to present "Hurricane Harvey: by the staff of the Houston Chronicle," a hardcover book that captures Harvey's wide-reaching devastation and Houston's indomitable spirit.

This 200-page book will feature breathtaking photos and compelling stories from the award-winning staff of the Houston Chronicle. A portion of the proceeds from this book will go to help those impacted by the hurricane in Houston and across the Texas Gulf Coast, donating to the Greater Houston Community Foundation Hurricane Harvey Relief Fund and Rebuild Texas Fund.