Author Topic: American Economy Just Went Off the Charts; “Never Before in History”  (Read 9545 times)

Offline roamer_1

Nothing's being "jacked up" -- nothing.  You've got to get out and live the change that's taking place in the private sector.  It's a great time to be a part of it!

I am self employed in the private sector, with strong regional (interstate) ties in Construction and Technology. How do you propose I 'get out and live it' any differently?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Why are you all arguing numbers?  Look them up:  http://www.macrotrends.net/1377/u6-unemployment-rate

And, if the numbers were calculated the same way during the 0bama administration as they are now, means that the numbers should be relevant.

Online Lando Lincoln

Nothing's being "jacked up" -- nothing.  You've got to get out and live the change that's taking place in the private sector.  It's a great time to be a part of it!

A little too anecdotal for me when the claim is “never before in history”.  I want to see what is prompting that claim. I’m not dismissing the gains. I just want to see the data.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
The only one ignoring the real numbers are you. Numerous times on these threads U6 numbers are dropped, but the devoted haters don't give a shit and are just around to crank off to an empty room.

:patriot:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline DCPatriot

A little too anecdotal for me when the claim is “never before in history”.  I want to see what is prompting that claim. I’m not dismissing the gains. I just want to see the data.

No!  Your post read like you just dropped in, only too happy to add some asterisk to the record claim.

Yeah...you did.  A little bit ...,little bit!     888blackhat

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online Lando Lincoln

No!  Your post read like you just dropped in, only too happy to add some asterisk to the record claim.

Yeah...you did.  A little bit ...,little bit!     888blackhat

No fooling you.
There are some among us who live in rooms of experience we can never enter.
John Steinbeck

Offline GrouchoTex

I can tell you in my little corner of the economic recovery, we're doing well.
We are a manufacturing company that went from 3 in 2015, soon to be 12 employees.
We figure we will need 15 by the end of the year.
Anecdotal?
Sure, but very real for us here in Katy, Texas, where our shop is.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I am self employed in the private sector, with strong regional (interstate) ties in Construction and Technology. How do you propose I 'get out and live it' any differently?

Well, in all candor I find it hard to believe this in light of your suspicious pessimism.  They're contradictions.

Offline InHeavenThereIsNoBeer

That has been my question from way back. Why include retired Senior Citizens in the labor force participation count?

The most relevant and important numbers are those who are of WORKING AGE.

Because it is a measure of the percentage of the population that is participating in the labor force.  Retired seniors are part of the population.  If you don't want them included, you're looking at the wrong metric.
My avatar shows the national debt in stacks of $100 bills.  If you look very closely under the crane you can see the Statue of Liberty.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

Aaaaaaaannnnnnnd Obama's drones said the nearly the SAME DAMN THING for nearly identical reasons when crowing about how great the economy was doing under His Heinous.

The only one ignoring the real numbers are you. Numerous times on these threads U6 numbers are dropped, but the devoted haters don't give a shit and are just around to crank off to an empty room.

Aaaaaaaannnnnnd Obama's sycophantic messiah-worshipping Leftist drones crowed about the U6 numbers back in 2014-15 to shout about how great the economy was under Obama:

U6 unemployment is now below 10%. The last time if was below 10% was May of 2008.
If people want a measure of how well the Obama administration has shouldred the responsibility of the economic recovery, they should consider how U6 has fared.

I find it so very fascinating that the very same charts, graphs, numbers, measurements, reporting agencies, metrics and so on that crowed about Obama's economic prowess was rightfully poo-poohed and regarded as bogus from the very same people who now tout the very same things as Gen-U-Ine and true, simply because it's Trump they herald as political and economic savior.

Amazing how easily a people are beguiled into hero worship simply because it's THEIR GUY in the office.

"Never before in history" my ass.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 01:36:44 am by INVAR »
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline roamer_1

Well, in all candor I find it hard to believe this in light of your suspicious pessimism.  They're contradictions.

No... because I live in the real world, and look at the sign on the ground. Not ginned up numbers and fairy dust farted out of some unicorn.

Is it picking up some? Yes. And it has been since somewhere in obummer's last year. But it ain't swinging a quarter of the 80's and 'historic, better than ever in history' is purely bullcrap. Most of the uptick here is due to goods moving through us to the Oil Patch, and has been for years.

Offline DCPatriot

Frankly, one would have to be blind or in a trance/coma...not to see the difference under Trump's leadership.

I don't give a fig what formula you use.   Apply the same one to the work force under Obama and then get back to us.

Offline RoosGirl

Why are you all arguing numbers?  Look them up:  http://www.macrotrends.net/1377/u6-unemployment-rate

And, if the numbers were calculated the same way during the 0bama administration as they are now, means that the numbers should be relevant.

That's a good point @Sanguine .  I would rather use the "real" number, but let's talk about the official unemployment rate.  Looks to me that from the chart it was 4.9% when Obama left office and it's  3.8% now.  Thanks for that link.  So, people are crowing about a 1.1% drop.  Jeez people, if you used the "real" number you could at least say there was a 2.0% drop.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
Apply the same one to the work force under Obama and then get back to us.

From Sycophantic Drones For Obama 2015:

U6 unemployment is now below 10%. The last time if was below 10% was May of 2008.
If people want a measure of how well the Obama administration has shouldred the responsibility of the economic recovery, they should consider how U6 has fared.

Same metrics you people are crowing about from the same source with the same spin for different rulers simply because of whom you're beholden to.

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline Right_in_Virginia

No... because I live in the real world, and look at the sign on the ground. Not ginned up numbers and fairy dust farted out of some unicorn.

I'm not the one fixated on numbers and twisting myself into a pretzel trying to prove them wrong.  *You* are.

I'm not the one saying I live in the real world but don't see the renewed energy, activity and optimism in the private sector. Again, *you* are.   

Maybe you should consider lifting your gaze from the ground.  Change your focus and you'll not only see the positive changes, you'll appreciate them.  And you won't give a damn about the numbers...you'll be too busy and productive to worry about them.

Offline roamer_1

I'm not the one fixated on numbers and twisting myself into a pretzel trying to prove them wrong.  *You* are.

I don't have to prove them wrong - Everyone KNOWS they're wrong.

I'm not the one saying I live in the real world but don't see the renewed energy, activity and optimism in the private sector. Again, *you* are.   

Actually I said it's better then it was. Just not 'The Best Economy Evah', and no where near it. That's what it is, here on Main Street, and every other Main Street I am in contact with in this region (Intermountain/PacNW).

Maybe not meh... but barely whee...

Maybe you should consider lifting your gaze from the ground.  Change your focus and you'll not only see the positive changes, you'll appreciate them.  And you won't give a damn about the numbers...you'll be too busy and productive to worry about them.

Riiight. Ignoring the local economy for undue optimism over falsified or misleading numbers. There's a great business plan.  *****rollingeyes*****

Offline Frank Cannon

American Economy Just Went Off the Charts; “Never Before in History”

Know what else is off the charts? The new Drake song "Nice For What". 2nd week at #1 on Billboards Hot 100!

! No longer available

Offline RoosGirl

American Economy Just Went Off the Charts; “Never Before in History”

Know what else is off the charts? The new Drake song "Nice For What". 2nd week at #1 on Billboards Hot 100!

! No longer available

So next week, when it drops to number 2, that'll be a 1% drop also, just like the unemployment rate since Trump has been in office?

Offline roamer_1

So next week, when it drops to number 2, that'll be a 1% drop also, just like the unemployment rate since Trump has been in office?

Yabutt... Yabutt... The BEST 1% EVAH!!!!

Offline Frank Cannon

Yes, and just like a 1% drop in unemployment is good because more people are working, a 1% drop in this song on the charts is good because there is less of a chance of hearing it........this song really blows. 

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits

Amazing how easily a people are beguiled into hero worship simply because it's THEIR GUY in the office.

@INVAR

Not as amazing as how easy it is for SOME people to ignore or completely dismiss good news because it ISN'T "their guy" in the office.

BTW,which of the losers was it that you supported?
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 11:53:35 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Offline Suppressed

Yes, it was already trending downward under Obama.

Look closely, and you'll see that the U6 was dropping slightly faster under Obama than it has since Trump took office.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Suppressed

Civilian Labor Force Participation Rate, Jan 2017:   62.9%
Civilian Labor Force Participation Rate, May 2018:  62.7%

+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
@INVAR

Not as amazing as how easy it is for SOME people to ignore or completely dismiss good news because it ISN'T "their guy" in the office.

Well first of all Pete, I think the "news" is as bogus and spun as it was when Obama was touting how great and wonderful his economy was.

To be plain: I do not trust a freaking word or stat that comes from the mouth of a government agency. 

Secondly, I've already explained that I am honoring the demand from ForeverTrump's® that those who were not on Trump's train from the beginning are not permitted to 'ride his coattails of victory' when good news is announced' and applaud it.

So Trump gets no public acknowledgement in the affirmative from me per request.

BTW,which of the losers was it that you supported?

Those who came closest to matching the principles that I am beholden. 

I'm not into applying team sport fandom to the bulwarks of what remains of our liberty.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2018, 01:21:18 pm by INVAR »

Offline Frank Cannon

Civilian Labor Force Participation Rate, Jan 2017:   62.9%
Civilian Labor Force Participation Rate, May 2018:  62.7%

Yeah, and the average between 1950 and now is 58.1%. It's a meaningless number now because we have a massive generation retiring at higher numbers by the day. That doesn't mean these people are sitting at home on welfare. It means they are retiring.