Author Topic: Your ears are cockroach heaven and that’s why they keep crawling in there  (Read 1024 times)

Online corbe

Your ears are cockroach heaven and that’s why they keep crawling in there

‘The smell that emanates from the ear is attractive to the cockroach.’

By Alessandra Potenza@ale_potenza    Jun 6, 2018, 9:00am EDT

The news seems to arrive every few months, sticking in your head like a nightmare that left you drenched in sweat: yet another person found a cockroach in their ear. It happened to a Florida woman just last month: a cockroach crawled inside her ear while she was sleeping, and she lived with the bug lodged there for nine days before it was removed. Then last week, another Florida resident went through the same ordeal. This time, the roach allegedly laid its eggs before dying. So, why does this keep happening? Why do cockroaches wriggle themselves inside people’s ears, where they’ll almost certainly meet their death?

First of all, cockroaches like to go around during the night, which coincidentally is when people sleep. So by virtue of just lying there motionless, we become likely victims. Cockroaches also like small, warm, humid places. And ears qualify as all of the above. “By going into the ear, that’s like a safe place to eat or rest,” says Coby Schal, an entomologist at North Carolina State University. That’s right: “a safe place to eat.” Roaches might wander inside our ears in search of a tasty snack.

See, cockroaches are attracted by certain types of chemicals called volatile fatty acids, which are released by fermented foods like bread and beer, Schal says. And just like cheese, our earwax radiates these cockroach-wooing chemicals as well. “The smell that emanates from the ear is attractive to the cockroach,” Schal tells The Verge.

<..snip..>

https://www.theverge.com/2018/6/6/17429138/cockroaches-crawling-inside-ears-infections
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Online mountaineer

Speak for yourself! I'm pretty sure my ears are cockroach free.

Hmm? What's that? Can't hear you.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Gross...now I fear another phobia I will suffer from...
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline endicom

I thought this would be about C-SPAN.

Online corbe

You're probably OK, @mystery-ak it seems to be isolated to Floriduh Briefers, whom, I am not going to name but they exhibit all the symptoms.   
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline RoosGirl

You're probably OK, @mystery-ak it seems to be isolated to Floriduh Briefers, whom, I am not going to name but they exhibit all the symptoms.

The spiders that live in my ears keep the roaches away.

Online corbe

I'm still trying to wrap my brain around kim kardashian sitting on me and crushing my hip.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Watch the 1990 film Mountains Of The Moon, if you want to see what happens when a bug gets into your ear.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.