Author Topic: Almost seven-in-ten Americans have news fatigue, more among Republicans  (Read 1126 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
By Jeffrey Gottfried and Michael Barthel

If you feel like there is too much news and you can’t keep up, you are not alone. A sizable portion of Americans are feeling overwhelmed by the amount of news there is, though the sentiment is more common on the right side of the political spectrum, according to a Pew Research Center survey conducted from Feb. 22 to March 4, 2018.

Almost seven-in-ten Americans (68%) feel worn out by the amount of news there is these days, compared with only three-in-ten who say they like the amount of news they get. The portion expressing feelings of information overload is in line with how Americans felt during the 2016 presidential election, when a majority expressed feelings of exhaustion from election coverage.

While majorities of both Republicans and Democrats express news fatigue, Republicans are feeling it more. Roughly three-quarters (77%) of Republicans and Republican-leaning independents feel worn out over how much news there is, compared with about six-in-ten Democrats and Democratic-leaning independents (61%). This elevated fatigue among Republicans tracks with them having less enthusiasm than Democrats for the 2018 elections....

http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tank/2018/06/05/almost-seven-in-ten-americans-have-news-fatigue-more-among-republicans/

« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 02:50:16 pm by Sanguine »

Offline Frank Cannon

Yup.

Offline Night Hides Not

As Lily von Schtupp would say, "I'm tired".

Up to a year ago, I was a news and politics junkie. Not any more, I'm simply burned out. I don't watch any news channels more than 10 minutes a month, and I find myself retreating from this great website, thanks to its predictability: most threads longer than two pages devolve into personal urinating contests starting on page three. Don't get me wrong, I love TBR, but it's too predictable. You can count on Trump supporters to bleat like sheep whenever Trump does something even remotely worthy of praise, twisting it into another reason to shout "MAGA!!!"

We have been lied to and let down by Pubbies in Congress that I tune them out as well.

Salem Radio, Fox News, and Rush have gone full-Trump, eradicating any potential for reasoned analysis of current events.

BTW, does anybody give a darn that today is the 74th anniversary of D-Day?

You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Offline LMAO

As Lily von Schtupp would say, "I'm tired".

Up to a year ago, I was a news and politics junkie. Not any more, I'm simply burned out. I don't watch any news channels more than 10 minutes a month, and I find myself retreating from this great website, thanks to its predictability: most threads longer than two pages devolve into personal urinating contests starting on page three. Don't get me wrong, I love TBR, but it's too predictable. You can count on Trump supporters to bleat like sheep whenever Trump does something even remotely worthy of praise, twisting it into another reason to shout "MAGA!!!"

We have been lied to and let down by Pubbies in Congress that I tune them out as well.

Salem Radio, Fox News, and Rush have gone full-Trump, eradicating any potential for reasoned analysis of current events.

I feel the same way you do. Mostly economic news and articles regarding  our fiscal situation interest me  but beyond that…

Someone posted here a few days ago that he/she believed that our debt was more important then the culture wars or immigrants and I happen to agree with that. Those stories that deal with economic and  fiscal Issues that members post here tend to be really good  and informative

But when I go to the gym and CNN or Fox News or MSNBC, you name it  is on, it tends to be more about what Trump did or didn’t do or who touched who
I have little interest in streamlining government or in making it more efficient, for I mean to reduce its size. I do not undertake to promote welfare, for I propose to extend freedom. My aim is not to pass laws, but to repeal them.

Barry Goldwater

http://www.usdebtclock.org

My Avatar is my adult autistic son Tommy

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I feel the same way you do. Mostly economic news and articles regarding  our fiscal situation interest me  but beyond that…

Someone posted here a few days ago that he/she believed that our debt was more important then the culture wars or immigrants and I happen to agree with that. Those stories that deal with economic and  fiscal Issues that members post here tend to be really good  and informative

But when I go to the gym and CNN or Fox News or MSNBC, you name it  is on, it tends to be more about what Trump did or didn’t do or who touched who

It's all Trump, all the time.  Britt Hume made a comment the other night about tweeting something about Kate Spade's suicide, and how people are fighting their own battles that we don't know about, and he said he got tons of comments about Trump.  Amazing.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Frank Cannon

What news?

I hear you. All we get is a deluge of spun out innuendo and rumors based on unnamed sources that end up never panning out.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
I hear you. All we get is a deluge of spun out innuendo and rumors based on unnamed sources that end up never panning out.

You said it, and Ain't it the truth.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline NavyCanDo

Up until the 2016 election I was a news junkie, and FOX News was typically what you would find our TV tuned to from 4PM to about 8PM with brief interruptions to view local news.  I do not watch FOX anymore after my favorite shows have been canceled, and local news is still limited.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline darroll

It's not news. It's propaganda from fake Republicans trying to save his/her skin from corruption suspicions.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

I was surprised by how little D-Day was mentioned in the morning news dump.

But there was this through the eyes of a millennial @Night Hides Not  :  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,319110.0.html

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Ya gotta learn to filter and discount, figure out what's important, immediate, and what is not. They love to clickbate and hype you to death.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Night Hides Not

I was surprised by how little D-Day was mentioned in the morning news dump.

But there was this through the eyes of a millennial @Night Hides Not  :  http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,319110.0.html

It's worse than that. I asked 3 supervisors at my part time job "what happened on this day 74 years ago?" The answers were staggeringly disappointing.
You can avoid reality, but you cannot avoid the consequences of avoiding reality.

1 John 3:18: Let us love not in word or speech, but in truth and action.

Online roamer_1

Up until the 2016 election I was a news junkie, and FOX News was typically what you would find our TV tuned to from 4PM to about 8PM with brief interruptions to view local news.  I do not watch FOX anymore after my favorite shows have been canceled, and local news is still limited.

Haven't paid any of it any mind since McCain't/Palin... Romney is where I left talk radio for good and for all, not that I'd been listening much anymore anyway. Trying to convince me that either one of those road apples were conservative was a bridge too far, not to mention the liberal POS that's in there now.

Nope. Back to country radio... whatever news I get through there and here at TBR is just about it.

Offline Applewood

I think much of the problem centers around not knowing just what is true and what is the figment of some reporter's or news outlet's imagination.  At one time I used to think Walter Cronkite, Huntley/Brinkley and the rest of the alphabet networks' news readers were trustworthy...till I found out they weren't.   Then Fox came along with its "fair and balanced" and "we report, you decide" slogans.  Turned out Fox was just as biased as all the rest.  Plus now Fox is a huge propaganda outlet for Trump.  Can't even trust the internet.  Who knows who is behind most of the news sites.  And many of the so-called news sites are little more than blogs of some individual with a lot of time on his or her hands and possessing a vivid imagination and a flair for interpreting current events to fit an agenda or bias. 

And I'm tired of presidents who have to be in the news 24/7.  The problem started with Obama and a fawning news media that had to cover his every burp.  Now we have a president who feels compelled to insert himself into every matter just so he is in everyone's face 24/7/365.  It smacks of a  dictatorship where every citizen is required to tune in to every pronouncement from Dear Leader. I just wish our presidents -- whether I like them or not -- would just shut up once in a while.  I didn't need to hear about Obama's March Madness picks and I don't need to hear about Trump's comments regarding "Roseanne."  Sure, the president is important, but there is other news out there.  A president's comments about a tv show or sports team really don't affect me. I'm just not interested.

Silver Pines

It's true in this house.  We haven't watched TV news in years, literally.  I get mine on Twitter and here at TBR.  The only political radio I listen to is Dana Loesch, but only because I like her humor.

Escapist entertainment is underrated.