Author Topic: Rice grown in desert, using seawater with over double the global average yields  (Read 756 times)

Offline endicom

Next Big Future
Brian Wang
June 3, 2018

One day large sections of desert could be turned into rice paddy fields. Chinese scientists have successfully grown and harvested rice in the deserts of Dubai after developing a strain that allows the crop to grow in saltwater.

China’s “father of hybrid rice” Yuan Longping, has already grown rice in diluted sea-water and is now bringing the technique to the Middle East. In the Middle East fresh water is too precious to use for growing water-intensive crops.

The high yield reported – 7,500kg per hectare compared with the global average of 3,000kg per hectare – has encouraged scientists to expand the project.

They now plan to set up a 100-hectare experimental farm later this year, put it into regular use next year and then start expanding after 2020.

More... https://www.nextbigfuture.com/2018/06/rice-grown-in-desert-using-seawater-with-over-double-the-global-average-yields.html

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
When it gets humid will they put salt water grown rice in the salt shakers to absorb the moisture?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Oceander

If this holds up and scales commercially, it could be world-changing. 

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
When it gets humid will they put salt water grown rice in the salt shakers to absorb the moisture?

That sir, is indeed the most pressing and important question that came to my mind when reading the excerpt.

Indeed.  This is the most important thing I can think of regarding this possible technology.

Because at this time of year, the air is soup in the South and there is nothing more frustrating than having to unscrew the salt shaker to loosen up the caked mass of salt at the bottom of the shaker just to season your fries.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline endicom

If this holds up and scales commercially, it could be world-changing.

I agree. And if it can be done with rice then why not other crops?

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
That sir, is indeed the most pressing and important question that came to my mind when reading the excerpt.

Indeed.  This is the most important thing I can think of regarding this possible technology.

Because at this time of year, the air is soup in the South and there is nothing more frustrating than having to unscrew the salt shaker to loosen up the caked mass of salt at the bottom of the shaker just to season your fries.

true.  maybe this rice salt crap will replace salt altogether.   grind it up and put it on your fries. my guess is the crop will taste like crap and be inedible.  if eaten it will lead to hyper tension an death. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2018, 12:57:12 am by Wingnut »
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline goodwithagun

I agree. And if it can be done with rice then why not other crops?

Because there’s probably already a native edible crop that can be used but a new non-native species gets billions of tax dollars for “research.” It’s like golden rice: The answer to Africa’s prayers. Except it cost billions to create and still doesn’t produce the calories per acre that the native yam produces with similar nutrients.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

What the Rochester! Were you raised in a barn? It’s called a salt mill and I’d post a pic but knowing some of this crowd they’d think it’s a Dan of the steely variety.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
It wasn't sea water.

But although Longping's experimental planting, which was conducted at the Qingdao Saline-Alkali Tolerant Rice Research and Development Center on the Yellow Sea, showed the rice was able to grow in sea-like water, the salt concentration was diluted.

"It's still only maybe 10% the level of salt in sea water," Wang said, cautioning that the rice is still "quite far" from any practical application for farmers.

http://www.businessinsider.com/yuan-longping-chinese-rice-scientist-growing-saltwater-rice-2017-11

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
Genetically modified rice

India's scientists aren't waiting for markets to develop. Nor are they relying on just the halophyte garden to offer up new options.

They're scouring coasts for wild grain species that might naturally tolerate some salinity, and using arduous breeding methods to create new salt-tolerant strains.

The foundation has also developed genetically modified rice using genes from mangrove trees. It says the resulting plant can tolerate salt concentrations of 12-15 grams per litre. Seawater is typically two to three times saltier, but that's still a major improvement from currently cultivated rice varieties, which can handle only up to three grams per litre.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/technology/saltwater-plants-1.3193535