Author Topic: Stop Calling Men Deadbeats  (Read 517 times)

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Stop Calling Men Deadbeats
« on: June 05, 2018, 07:02:14 pm »
Stupid title but talks to the millennial boy problem

There is a interesting article in the New York Post by Karol Markowicz entitled, "Deadbeat son is a sign of America’s failure to raise boys" that discusses how our society is failing men:.

A Pew Research poll from 2016 showed that men age 18-36, exactly Michael Rotondo’s demographic, were more likely to be living at home with their parents than alone, with a roommate or with a partner. That’s a startling statistic, especially as the same isn’t true for women. We can’t blame this stagnation on the entitlement of the millennial generation when half of that generation is living their lives as intended.
Part of the problem is we’ve been encouraging girls at the expense of boys. The language of empowerment we use around girls is absent from how we talk to boys. The expectation that males will succeed just because they are male has been smashed, just like feminists wanted, but now what? To shrug our shoulders and not care what happens to a generation of young men is to produce a generation of Michael Rotondos, adrift and living at home as they enter their 30s.

https://pjmedia.com/drhelen/stop-calling-men-deadbeats/

"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: Stop Calling Men Deadbeats
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2018, 07:04:59 pm »
Stupid title but talks to the millennial boy problem

There is a interesting article in the New York Post by Karol Markowicz entitled, "Deadbeat son is a sign of America’s failure to raise boys" that discusses how our society is failing men:.

https://pjmedia.com/drhelen/stop-calling-men-deadbeats/

As the father of two boys its quite apparent to me they encourage girls at the expense of boys.   The education system has been tailored for how girls learn.  Boys are suppressed and condemned.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2018, 07:15:09 pm »
I moved home for a year after college as did my daughter as will my son. But just one year.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2018, 07:17:49 pm »
As the father of two boys its quite apparent to me they encourage girls at the expense of boys.   The education system has been tailored for how girls learn.  Boys are suppressed and condemned.

I haven't been in the education system in a long time, and I'm homeschooling my son.  Why do you say that the education system has been tailored for how girls learn?  In what way?  And how do girls learn differently from boys?  I may not be able to relate since I am in a male dominated degree/industry.