Author Topic: Baker who refused to make cake for gay wedding: 'I don't create cakes for every message.'  (Read 529 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: NBC NEWS

URL: https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/baker-who-refused-make-cake-gay-wedding-i-don-t-n880061

by Adam Edleman

Jack Phillips maintains he would 'serve everybody that comes in my shop,' but that he wouldn't 'create cakes for every message.'

The baker at the center of a Supreme Court ruling that he cannot be forced to make a cake for a same-sex wedding told “Today” on Tuesday that he doesn’t “discriminate” against anybody and that he simply doesn't want to bake cakes “for every message” — saying that he would also refuse to create a dessert that insulted the LGBTQ community.

Jack Phillips, owner of Masterpiece Cake in Denver, had argued that his cakes are works of art and that requiring him to bake them for same-sex weddings would force him to express a view that violated his religious beliefs. And in a narrow 7-2 decision, the high court said legal proceedings in Colorado had shown a hostility to the baker's religious views.

Phillips, however, maintained during an interview with “Today,” that he would “serve everybody.”

“It's just that i don't create cakes for every occasion they ask me to create,” he said.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Offline SirLinksALot

Here is his key quote from the interview:

'I don't create cakes for Halloween, I wouldn't create a cake that would be anti-American or disparaging against anybody for any reason, even cakes that would disparage people who identify as LGBT,” he said.

"Cakes have a message and this is one I can’t create."

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
A man of principle surround by an ocean of liberal zealots.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline SirLinksALot

A man of principle surround by an ocean of liberal zealots.

Personal story -- NOT ALL GAYS ARE LIKE THIS LAWSUIT HAPPY COLORADO COUPLE.

I have a colleague who is gay and just "got married". She also voted for Trump.

When I asked her her opinion about this case, she told me bluntly : "If he doesn't want my business, I'll take it elsewhere."

When I followed up and asked her if she would asked him to make a cake that simply said : "Happy Birthday Dear Samantha."

She replied : " Sure why not? If he'll make it and the price and quality are right." ( and I am sure Jack Phillips would have no objection to that kind of cake ).

Offline thackney

... ( and I am sure Jack Phillips would have no objection to that kind of cake ).

yep.

He made it crystal clear, as Kennedy noted, that he was prepared to provide Craig and Mullins any goods from his shop for any other occasion, or indeed any standardized goods that they needed for their wedding celebration.

Symposium: The worst form of judicial minimalism — Masterpiece Cakeshop deserved a full vindication for its claims of religious liberty and free speech
http://www.scotusblog.com/2018/06/symposium-the-worst-form-of-judicial-minimalism-masterpiece-cakeshop-deserved-a-full-vindication-for-its-claims-of-religious-liberty-and-free-speech/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer