Author Topic: Anne Boleyn: a 16th-century feminist?  (Read 977 times)

rangerrebew

Anne Boleyn: a 16th-century feminist?
« on: June 03, 2018, 02:39:33 pm »
Anne Boleyn: a 16th-century feminist?

Can Anne Boleyn be considered a feminist? While the word 'feminism' may not have existed in the 16th century, the concept of equality between the sexes was very much a subject of debate at the time, says historian Alison Weir

Here, the author of Anne Boleyn: A King’s Obsession considers Anne’s early years spent in Europe and the many influences on her, from female rulers and thinkers to cultural debates…

In recent years, Anne Boleyn has acquired almost celebrity status. Henry VIII’s second wife has become many things to many people, and, in the process, controversial. When I asked readers on Facebook why they admired her, the overwhelming response was that they revered her as a feminist icon. This rather surprised me, as feminism was an unknown concept in early Tudor England.

https://www.historyextra.com/period/tudor/anne-boleyn-a-16th-century-feminist/
« Last Edit: June 03, 2018, 02:40:26 pm by rangerrebew »

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Re: Anne Boleyn: a 16th-century feminist?
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2018, 02:44:30 pm »
Anne Boleyn was a "feminist" in the same sense that Hillary Clinton is called a feminist:  by virtue of who she was married to.  @CatherineofAragon was far more of a feminist that Anne ever was.  She had established a name for herself long before she met up with Henry VIII.

Want  a good read?  Read about her.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Silver Pines

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2018, 11:50:44 pm »
Anne Boleyn was a "feminist" in the same sense that Hillary Clinton is called a feminist:  by virtue of who she was married to.  @CatherineofAragon was far more of a feminist that Anne ever was.  She had established a name for herself long before she met up with Henry VIII.

@Cyber Liberty

Oh, I love you for that.  I don't understand the fascination with Anne Boleyn.  She was a social climber and an adulterer.  Catherine, on the other hand, knew damn well she was the real queen, and she kept her dignity to the moment of her death.

Off soapbox, lol.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2018, 12:30:50 am »
@Cyber Liberty

Oh, I love you for that.  I don't understand the fascination with Anne Boleyn.  She was a social climber and an adulterer.  Catherine, on the other hand, knew damn well she was the real queen, and she kept her dignity to the moment of her death.

Off soapbox, lol.

Ditto.....Anne was a conniving bitch along with her family...who over played her hand.

Catherine was the true Queen who still loved Henry until her death.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Silver Pines

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2018, 12:44:11 am »
Ditto.....Anne was a conniving bitch along with her family...who over played her hand.

Catherine was the true Queen who still loved Henry until her death.

@mystery-ak

Did you ever watch The Tudors?  Anne was probably the most popular figure on the show....my Lord, what a BITCH.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2018, 12:47:04 am »
@mystery-ak

Did you ever watch The Tudors?  Anne was probably the most popular figure on the show....my Lord, what a BITCH.

Yes..loved it.....like you I love reading/watching early English royalty..
Support the USO

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”

Offline jpsb

« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2018, 12:56:09 am »

She was also a better commander than Henry. I don't have anything against Ann, she played the
cards she was deal and got a s***ty deal from Henry. At least her daughter became a real queen.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2018, 01:23:25 am »
Support the USO

Silver Pines

« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2018, 01:30:02 am »
Yes..loved it.....like you I love reading/watching early English royalty..

@mystery-ak, Alison Weir's books are really great for Tudor history. 

It's been a few years since The Tudors....it might be worth a re-watch.