Author Topic: What Adults Who Don’t Have ADHD Should Know About Adults Who Do  (Read 2946 times)

Offline goodwithagun

Bah, those kids just need to be spanked more.  :smokin:

Lol! An Advanced Placement public school teacher once told me that my son just needed more discipline. I told her that I couldn’t spank the autism out of him anymore than I could slap the ignorance out of her. Although that didn’t phase her, finding out that at 7 his IQ was higher than hers really was a nasty kick in her ego.
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline goodwithagun

It's a tough one.  I don't believe it's a disease.  I think it's a fairly normal condition that in a much more dangerous and less regulated world that we live in, it was very much a positive.  The ADHD kids were the ones who discovered new lands, killed the leopards trying to eat the band, and took care of the bad guys.  It becomes a problem when little kids have to sit in a desk 7 hours a day and do detail work.  Same with adults.

Omg, who has the black and white slow clapping guy .gif? You hit the nail on the head my friend!
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline RoosGirl

Lol! An Advanced Placement public school teacher once told me that my son just needed more discipline. I told her that I couldn’t spank the autism out of him anymore than I could slap the ignorance out of her. Although that didn’t phase her, finding out that at 7 his IQ was higher than hers really was a nasty kick in her ego.

LOL  That's awesome.

Offline goodwithagun

LOL  That's awesome.

She’s a Nathaniel Hawthorne “expert” and was none too pleased to discover that she’d been incorrectly pronouncing Sophia’s name, thanks to my son pointing it out  :silly:
I stand with Roosgirl.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Omg, who has the black and white slow clapping guy .gif? You hit the nail on the head my friend!

LOL, thank you!  I happen to be very familiar with ADHD. 

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
It's a tough one.  I don't believe it's a disease.  I think it's a fairly normal condition that in a much more dangerous and less regulated world that we live in, it was very much a positive.  The ADHD kids were the ones who discovered new lands, killed the leopards trying to eat the band, and took care of the bad guys.  It becomes a problem when little kids have to sit in a desk 7 hours a day and do detail work.  Same with adults.
It is one of he weird paradoxes of modern society. Not one of those who made major advancements in virtually any field is what we would all call "normal". Some passion, some driving force, the ability to integrate concepts drawn from thought across the spectrum, led to the discoveries (and a few accidents along the way) and the ongoing desire to do something out of the normal scope of most people's existence.

Yet the current educational system, for the most part is centered on some statistical "normal" and either pushing those who can't cope up to it or holding those who'd run roughshod over such a paltry standard back.

That McEducation will turn out McPeople, at a predictable standard of mediocrity, but mediocrity isn't what makes people or countries great. It's what happens when participation trophies take the place of 1st, 2nd, and 3rd.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Smokin Joe

Named from the phrase "the tall poppy gets cut down," an aphorism used in much of The Commonwealth of Nations to describe resentment of those whose accomplishments elevate them in prominence above their erstwhile peers. Tall Poppy Syndrome is in play when a character or characters act to achieve parity with another character who is presented or perceived as somehow "better", not by improving themselves but by bringing the other guy down to their level.

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/TallPoppySyndrome

Offline Hoodat

Don't know anything about ADHD, but I have a lifetime of experience with ADD.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Hoodat

@goodwithagun

Keep praying.  Pray every day over your son.  Pray that God's destiny for your child will be realized.  Pray for God to make the crooked places straight, and to mend the connections to restore him to what God intended.  Acknowledge His unlimited love.  Declare him a God of healing and restoration.

Do it.  It works.  it worked for my son.  Every day is a new miracle for my wife and I.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."

-Ayn Rand-

Offline Smokin Joe

@Sanguine
'
Time was when a teacher was proud of students who surpassed them. Not so much any more.

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline thackney

Don't know anything about ADHD, but I have a lifetime of experience with ADD.

ADD is an old term, now out of date, for the disorder we call ADHD

https://childmind.org/ask-an-expert-qa/what-is-the-difference-between-add-and-adhd/
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Do you have ADHD?  Or know well an adult who does?
A psychiatrist tried to diagnose me with ADHD as a kid. A different one suspected Asperger's as a teen. Judging by what I have read about both, I still don't think either diagnosis was correct.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
Although you cannot discipline the autism out, even Aspies know about consequences. I certainly did. I got enough azz beatings from peers that I learned what not to do. But it is definitely a "choose your battles" scenario. I am just thankful we didn't have computers, tablets and such that people use to "shut down" autistic kids. I was forced to assimilate and adapt.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Hoodat

ADD is an old term, now out of date, for the disorder we call ADHD

https://childmind.org/ask-an-expert-qa/what-is-the-difference-between-add-and-adhd/

But I'm not hyperactive.  Not at all.  I simply have a propensity for diving into a 120,000 row / 200 column spreadsheet for nine hours straight.  It is an unfair advantage I have over my peers at work.

Sure, it has it's downside too.  When it's time for my wife and I to leave the house to run some errand, I always find a million things to do before walking out the door.

-Dwight Eisenhower-

-Ayn Rand-

Offline thackney

But I'm not hyperactive.  Not at all.  I simply have a propensity for diving into a 120,000 row / 200 column spreadsheet for nine hours straight.  It is an unfair advantage I have over my peers at work.

Sure, it has it's downside too.  When it's time for my wife and I to leave the house to run some errand, I always find a million things to do before walking out the door.

The newest way of thinking about ADHD is actually to get rid of types altogether and just think about which symptoms present prominently. We still use the same clusters of symptoms (inattentive and hyperactive-impulsive), we just don’t consider them separate types. There are also adjustments to reflect new research on how ADHD symptoms present in adolescence or adulthood.

The bottom line is that the diagnosis of ADHD can still apply even if a child doesn’t have hyperactive or impulsive behaviors.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Smokin Joe

But you have turned what is considered a disadvantage by those who think everyone should be the same into an advantage. It is like an experience I had working with a guy who was a bit OCD in a warehouse. Everything was in its place, the place was clean, and a joy to work in.
What the people who want to define normal as a statistical point everyone should conform to ignore is that in a different context, such alleged disorders become valuable talents/abilities.

C S Lewis

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
But you have turned what is considered a disadvantage by those who think everyone should be the same into an advantage. It is like an experience I had working with a guy who was a bit OCD in a warehouse. Everything was in its place, the place was clean, and a joy to work in.
What the people who want to define normal as a statistical point everyone should conform to ignore is that in a different context, such alleged disorders become valuable talents/abilities.

And, that is the key - the world does not conform to us, we have to figure how best to adapt to the world.

Offline goodwithagun

Although you cannot discipline the autism out, even Aspies know about consequences. I certainly did. I got enough azz beatings from peers that I learned what not to do. But it is definitely a "choose your battles" scenario. I am just thankful we didn't have computers, tablets and such that people use to "shut down" autistic kids. I was forced to assimilate and adapt.

Thank God we have early diagnosis and therapies to help those on the high functioning end of the spectrum. I know that some can adapt and overcome, but my heart breaks for those who cannot and are in situations without support systems to help them through.
I stand with Roosgirl.