General Category > Science, Technology and Knowledge

Something weird is happening to the Gulf Stream current And that could mean trouble.

(1/1)

rangerrebew:
Something weird is happening to the Gulf Stream current

And that could mean trouble.
Peter T. Spooner/The Conversation April 13, 2018

We know that at the end of the last major ice age, rapid fluctuations in the circulation led to extreme climate shifts on a global scale.

The ocean currents that help warm the Atlantic coasts of Europe and North America have significantly slowed since the 1800s and are at their weakest in 1,600 years, according to new research my colleagues and I have conducted. As we’ve set out in a new study in Nature, the weakening of this ocean circulation system may have begun naturally but is probably being continued by climate change related to greenhouse gas emissions.

This circulation is a key player in the Earth’s climate system and a large or abrupt slowdown could have global repercussions. It could cause sea levels on the U.S. East Coast to rise, alter European weather patterns or rain patterns more globally, and hurt marine wildlife.

https://www.popsci.com/slowing-atlantic-currents

MajorClay:
As we’ve set out in a new study in Nature, the weakening of this ocean circulation system may have begun naturally but is probably being continued by climate change related to greenhouse gas emissions.

I Stopped reading right there.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version