Author Topic: Customs and Border Protection seizes Ohio immigrant family's life savings at airport  (Read 348 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Customs and Border Protection seizes Ohio immigrant family's life savings at airport
CNN

Members of an immigrant family in Ohio say US Customs and Border Protection seized $58,100 of their life savings. Now they want it back.

Rustem Kazazi, 64, was headed to his native Albania to visit relatives in October, according to a federal lawsuit that he, his wife, Lejla, and son Erald filed this week in Ohio against the agency and others.

The suit alleges Customs and Border Protection used civil forfeiture laws to take the money without arresting or charging anyone with a crime.

Read more at: https://www.abc15.com/news/national/customs-and-border-protection-seizes-ohio-immigrant-familys-life-savings-at-airport

Civil forfeiture laws again.

Offline Applewood

I don't know, Tom.  There may be more to the story. 

My first reaction was why this fellow was carrying around his life savings in cash.  Normally, when withdrawing large sums of money in the US, it's safer to get a cashier's check.  Isn't there some similar instrument that can be used when taking the money out of the country? 

Maybe the feds are still suspicious of this guy and that's why they are holding onto the money.  Anyway, I'd like to know more before condemning Customs in this matter.

By the way -- not accusing this man, but -- there is an Albanian mob operating in the US, particularly in NY.