Author Topic: Wars and clan structure may explain a strange biological event 7,000 years ago, Stanford researchers  (Read 618 times)

Offline Suppressed

Wars and clan structure may explain a strange biological event 7,000 years ago, Stanford researchers find
Genetic data suggest there was a collapse in male, but not female, genetic diversity starting 7,000 years ago. The reason may be wars between clans structured around male ancestry.
BY NATHAN COLLINS   MAY 30, 2018
https://news.stanford.edu/press-releases/2018/05/30/war-clan-structubiological-event/

Starting about 7,000 years ago, something weird seems to have happened to men: Over the next two millennia, recent studies suggest, their genetic diversity – specifically, the diversity of their Y chromosomes – collapsed. So extreme was that collapse that it was as if there were only one man left to mate for every 17 women.

Anthropologists and biologists were perplexed, but Stanford researchers now believe they’ve found a simple – if revealing – explanation. The collapse, they argue, was the result of generations of war between patrilineal clans, whose membership is determined by male ancestors.

[...]
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Heck even I could get a date there
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.