Author Topic: Supreme Court Rules 8-1 Against Warrantless Police Search in Important Fourth Amendment Case  (Read 764 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Fourth Amendment advocates scored a victory today when the U.S. Supreme Court ruled 8-1 against a warrantless police search that involved an officer entering private property for the purpose of examining a motorcycle stored under a tarp in the driveway near a home. "In physically intruding on the curtilage of [Ryan Austin] Collins' home to search the motorcycle," Justice Sonia Sotomayor wrote for the majority in Collins v. Virginia, the officer "not only invaded Collins' Fourth Amendment interest in the item searched, i.e., the motorcycle, but also invaded Collins' Fourth Amendment interest in the curtilage of his home."

http://reason.com/blog/2018/05/29/supreme-court-rules-8-1-against-warrantl

---------

Article is a couple of days old, delete if duplicate.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Wow... so who says the two "sides" cannot agree on anything these days?

Offline Suppressed

"The Fourth Amendment prohibits 'unreasonable' searches," Justice Alito maintained. "What the police did in this case was entirely reasonable. The Court's decision is not."

He makes a good point.

But courts will never go that way these days.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Hoodat

Alito is wrong here.  The target of the search was not a vehicle.  It was a tarp.  There was no assurance that a vehicle was underneath.

As for the leniency of vehicle searches, I am adamantly opposed to the current view that police can attach tracking devices to vehicles in public.  Seeing that police have been granted that right, I oppose leniency on any other grounds.
If a political party does not have its foundation in the determination to advance a cause that is right and that is moral, then it is not a political party; it is merely a conspiracy to seize power.     -Dwight Eisenhower-

"The [U.S.] Constitution is a limitation on the government, not on private individuals ... it does not prescribe the conduct of private individuals, only the conduct of the government ... it is not a charter for government power, but a charter of the citizen's protection against the government."     -Ayn Rand-

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
The ability of law enforcement to monitor, watch, & search people without first obtaining a warrant needs to be curtailed.  It is being abused on a daily basis.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author

http://reason.com/blog/2018/05/29/supreme-court-rules-8-1-against-warrantl

Article is a couple of days old, delete if duplicate.

If it's a duplicate I missed the original and Anything that strengthens Any part of the Bill of Rights is a major win that needs to be seen by Everyone.

888high58888
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline Fantom

Well yes, this is a no brainier.

The State cannot search private property without a warrant. End of story.

Now they can see what they can see on private property...I.E. Looking over a fence. If such lets them make a warrant ... all is good. Moving a tarp on private property to see... not so much.

An interesting fact about "Curtilage". In Ye Olde' Anglish lew... it was the "Bowshot distance from the front stoop." of a homestead. That was the property you controlled, as if a sovereign. Only the State had any domain over you.
Those who profess to favor freedom, and yet deprecate agitation, are men who want crops without plowing up the ground, they want rain without thunder and lightning, they want the ocean without the awful roar of its many waters.

Frederick Douglass

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
Alito is wrong here.  The target of the search was not a vehicle.  It was a tarp.  There was no assurance that a vehicle was underneath.

I am also of the opinion that since the vehicle was not running and that there was no fear of loss of evidence, it would have been a simple matter to post an officer at the location and wait for a warrant.

Offline Sighlass

• Didn't vote for McCain Dole Romney Trump !

Well it has been said in media that it wasn't completely covered, it had parts visible. So it wasn't exactly rocket science after the kid (funny can find no picture of the prep that stole the cycle and fellow that bought it, then tried to get papers by falsifying info). I had a Honda Goldwing, that had a tarp cover for it, it wasn't brain surgery to know what was under it.

There, on the driveway, the officer saw a white tarpaulin covering what looked like a motorcycle. From the parts of the motorcycle that were visible, the officer determined that it was likely the same motorcycle that was involved in the earlier evasions of police and that was stolen.

Source of quote: https://verdict.justia.com/2017/10/11/us-supreme-court-considers-scope-automobile-exception

That said, I have no informed opinion on this case to add, just wanted it stated that this was not exactly a completely hidden motorcycle that would require guesswork from the officer to id as a motorbike.

@Hoodat

« Last Edit: June 02, 2018, 02:54:49 pm by Sighlass »
Exodus 18:21 Furthermore, you shall select out of all the people able men who fear God, men of truth, those who hate dishonest gain; and you shall place these over them as leaders over ....

Oceander

Alito was wrong on this one.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
The ability of law enforcement to monitor, watch, & search people without first obtaining a warrant needs to be curtailed.  It is being abused on a daily basis.

I know a lot about law enforcement.  I've watched Law and Order and Blue Bloods for years.

I think part of the problem is that people don't know their rights. "Do you have a warrant?" is a simple question that a lot of folks don't know they can use.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.