General Category > Immigration/Border

We’ve Lost Sight of the Plot in the Immigration Debate

(1/4) > >>

rangerrebew:
   We’ve Lost Sight of the Plot in the Immigration Debate
By Jonah Goldberg

May 30, 2018 6:30 AM

U.S. Border Patrol agents detail illegal immigrants near Roma, Texas, May 11, 2017. (Carlos Barria/Reuters)
There are legitimate policy arguments on all sides, but the story of immigration is getting slaughtered in the crossfire.

As the immigration debate hit another low last week, I received the news that my favorite immigrant died: my father-in-law, Paul Gavora.

I don’t want to politicize Paul’s story too much, or really at all. For me, the man wasn’t a talking point; he was a hero.

https://www.nationalreview.com/2018/05/immigration-policy-debate-good-arguments-on-all-sides/

Oceander:
Let the flaming start. 

skeeter:

--- Quote from: Oceander on May 31, 2018, 01:45:48 pm ---Let the flaming start.

--- End quote ---

Goldberg's point is that because some immigrants were/are a benefit to America, all immigrants (legal and illegal and in whatever numbers, presumably) are and forever will be a benefit to America.

Big on emotion, small on rationality.

Oceander:

--- Quote from: skeeter on May 31, 2018, 01:56:52 pm ---Goldberg's point is that because some immigrants were/are a benefit to America, all immigrants (legal and illegal and in whatever numbers, presumably) are and forever will be a benefit to America.

Big on emotion, small on rationality.

--- End quote ---

Actually, it’s not.  Try reading it without your ideological blinders on.

driftdiver:

--- Quote from: Oceander on May 31, 2018, 02:27:53 pm ---Actually, it’s not.  Try reading it without your ideological blinders on.

--- End quote ---

@Oceander

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version