Author Topic: Cruz Opens Lead Over O'Rourke in Texas Senate Race  (Read 1142 times)

Online cato potatoe

Cruz Opens Lead Over O'Rourke in Texas Senate Race
« on: May 30, 2018, 06:50:11 pm »
With a big boost from men, Republican incumbent Sen. Ted Cruz leads U.S. Rep. Beto O'Rourke, his Democratic challenger, 50 - 39 percent in the Texas Senate race, according to a Quinnipiac University Poll released today.

This compares to the results of an April 18 survey by the independent Quinnipiac (KWIN-uh-pe-ack) University, showing the race too close to call with Sen. Cruz at 47 percent and O'Rourke at 44 percent.

Today, Cruz leads 57 - 35 percent among men, up from 51 - 40 percent April 18. Women go 44 percent for Cruz and 42 percent for O'Rourke, compared to last month when women went 47 percent for O'Rourke and 43 percent for Cruz.

Cruz gets 46 percent of Hispanic voters, with 44 percent for O'Rourke. White voters back Cruz 62 - 28 percent and black voters go to O'Rourke 70 - 15 percent

https://poll.qu.edu/texas/release-detail?ReleaseID=2542

Online cato potatoe

Re: Cruz Opens Lead Over O'Rourke in Texas Senate Race
« Reply #1 on: May 30, 2018, 06:50:30 pm »
Some breathing room may be opening for Ted.

Offline corbe

« Reply #2 on: May 30, 2018, 07:00:23 pm »
   Hopefully, the GOP will have become just another footnote in history just as their predecessor the Whigs by the time 2020 rolls around.

Ted, come on over, the water's fine and bring your Friend Mike Lee.

No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 07:21:47 pm »
   Hopefully, the GOP will have become just another footnote in history just as their predecessor the Whigs by the time 2020 rolls around.

Ted, come on over, the water's fine and bring your Friend Mike Lee.

The Green Party has more legitimacy as a real party than that bullshit.

Offline corbe

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 07:40:10 pm »
   I respectfully disagree @Frank Cannon and unlike what Trump bought the GOP for, one SHINY silver dime, the Constitution Party has Principles, in concrete, that are more closely aligned to those of US that have moved on or were never associated with the kim kardashian model of politics.

* Do you honestly believe Ross Perot and years later the Tea party didn't have an impact on the Elections? 
   Yes Ross got Bill elected BUT the Tea party delivered US the House and 2 years later the Senate in what proved a futile effort all around. 

I refuse to write off third party candidates, it's an 'Art of the Deal' kinda thing and somehow keeps my political philosophy relevant and feared, at least by some here.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 08:10:23 pm »
   I respectfully disagree @Frank Cannon and unlike what Trump bought the GOP for, one SHINY silver dime, the Constitution Party has Principles, in concrete, that are more closely aligned to those of US that have moved on or were never associated with the kim kardashian model of politics.

* Do you honestly believe Ross Perot and years later the Tea party didn't have an impact on the Elections? 
   Yes Ross got Bill elected BUT the Tea party delivered US the House and 2 years later the Senate in what proved a futile effort all around. 

I refuse to write off third party candidates, it's an 'Art of the Deal' kinda thing and somehow keeps my political philosophy relevant and feared, at least by some here.

Blah blah blah. That's all we get from you 3rd party types. Right here are the pathetic and insignificant results of the Con Party in the '16 elections:

https://www.constitutionparty.com/elections/2016-national-results/

Couldn't even win a dog catcher race and you think that some how people are all of a sudden going to abandon a large nationwide party? Are for real? I know the party you are pimpin' for isn't real because there are no elected officials anywhere under their banner.

Offline MajorClay

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 08:23:23 pm »
We always knew it wasn't a tossup

Offline corbe

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 08:26:44 pm »
Blah blah blah. That's all we get from you 3rd party types. Right here are the pathetic and insignificant results of the Con Party in the '16 elections:

https://www.constitutionparty.com/elections/2016-national-results/

Couldn't even win a dog catcher race and you think that some how people are all of a sudden going to abandon a large nationwide party? Are for real? I know the party you are pimpin' for isn't real because there are no elected officials anywhere under their banner.

True Dat, @Frank Cannon we (the Constitution/Federalist Party) just lack effective Leadership right now, not unlike the GOP wondering around in the desert till Reagan brought back some solid Goldwater idealism. 
   The weakness of the GOP has been on full display since GHWB and Trump bought the whole shitty circus for a penance and a song.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 08:38:25 pm »
   True Dat, @Frank Cannon we (the Constitution/Federalist Party) just lack effective Leadership right now, not unlike the GOP wondering around in the desert till Reagan brought back some solid Goldwater idealism. 
   The weakness of the GOP has been on full display since GHWB and Trump bought the whole shitty circus for a penance and a song.

Yeah right. The GOP is so weak it controls all levels of govt' federally and in most of the states, yet there is a movement in the country for a party that can't even organize itself enough to get on the ballot in all 50 states.

Offline corbe

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 08:52:07 pm »
                  Patience, Young Grasshopper.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 08:56:37 pm »

Right. That's what the Prohibition Party and 58 other splinter political groups tell each other. At least the Prohibition Party gets a candidate elected to local office now and again.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 09:09:09 pm »
We always knew it wasn't a tossup

Thanks, @MajorClay

For a minute there, I had thought the topic had changed. /s

Offline corbe

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 09:11:53 pm »
   I apologize for the Thread Jack @cato potatoe

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2018, 01:57:39 am »
Some breathing room may be opening for Ted.

I never thought Cruz would have a problem with Beto.  I do hope the democrats poured a ton of money into this though.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2018, 02:10:25 am »

I will give Darrell Castle credit for curing my insomnia.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2018, 02:11:37 am »
I never thought Cruz would have a problem with Beto.  I do hope the democrats poured a ton of money into this though.

I'm glad to see that Cruz has a larger lead over Bozo, but IMHO, it's way too early to feel comfortable with this lead. 
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline corbe

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2018, 02:23:15 am »
   @edpc   

Ted Cruz's stated policy positions are more aligned with the Constitution/Federalist party platforms than the GOP, at this point in time, IMHO. 
    Just as the GOP welcomed Trump into their open, trembling arms, so shall the aforementioned parties welcome Cruz and/or Lee, hopefully bringing organization, momentum and money. 
    Sure it's a long shot but this lessor of two evil shit has to stop somewhere and incidentally I was surprised Darrell Castle was still alive at the time of his close loss. 
    I voted for the party platform not the ol ambulance chaser, himself.

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2018, 03:12:04 am »
   @edpc   

Ted Cruz's stated policy positions are more aligned with the Constitution/Federalist party platforms than the GOP, at this point in time, IMHO. 
    Just as the GOP welcomed Trump into their open, trembling arms, so shall the aforementioned parties welcome Cruz and/or Lee, hopefully bringing organization, momentum and money. 
    Sure it's a long shot but this lessor of two evil shit has to stop somewhere and incidentally I was surprised Darrell Castle was still alive at the time of his close loss. 
    I voted for the party platform not the ol ambulance chaser, himself.

Yes, Cruz's positions on issues are very much aligned with those of the Constitution Party.  He is indeed a constitutional conservative.

The fact still remains that the odds of a 3rd party win are slim to none.

I do still believe that if Cruz, Lee, Paul, Jordan, Meadows and others were to join the Constitution Party you just might see a shift in odds toward the positive side, but most importantly the voting populace would have to believe that a 3rd party win could be possible. I don't see people getting over that mind set, nor do I see Cruz abandoning the GOP unless he was absolutely certain he could win. 
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 03:14:22 am by libertybele »
I Believe in the United States of America as a Government of the people, by the people, for the people; whose just powers are derived from the consent of the governed; a democracy in a republic; a sovereign nation of many sovereign states; a perfect union one and inseparable; established upon those principles of freedom, equality, justice and humanity for which American patriots sacrificed their lives and fortunes.  I therefore believe it is my duty to my country to love it; to support its Constitution; to obey its laws to respect its flag; and to defend it against all enemies.

Offline corbe

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2018, 03:25:33 am »
   I agree with all your points @libertybele especially that slim to none stuff. 
   A boy can dream can't he?

Offline libertybele

• WE are NOT ok!
« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2018, 03:40:07 am »
   I agree with all your points @libertybele especially that slim to none stuff. 
   A boy can dream can't he?

I'm not saying that I don't think Cruz could pull it off, but a lot would have to happen.  First hurdle he has to clear the Senate.  Second hurdle he would have to convince his cronies and the Constitution Party that this is a viable and winnable idea.  Then there's the issue of $$$.  I don't think he'd lose his individual donors, but he would need tremendous capital to pull this one off.  Perhaps the biggest hurdle would be rewiring the mindset of voters that a 3rd party win could be feasible. 

All this before 2020?  Ya, I think your dreaming.  2024?  Hmmm....instead of Cruz's 'Imagine' speech ... I can see daring to dream 'The Impossible Dream'!!