Author Topic: House rejects farm bill as conservatives revolt  (Read 3427 times)

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Re: House rejects farm bill as conservatives revolt
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2018, 01:34:06 am »
"We had enough members that were willing to vote for the farm bill, that liked the farm bill, but a small group that wanted to extract some direct pledge on immigration that we could not simply fulfill under their time frame," he said.

This is why people are fed up with Washington.  If the bill is bad, loaded with poison pills, or not supported by your constituency, vote it down.  Holding it hostage for another, unrelated legislative agenda item is really weak.

It's called politics, @edpc .  The passage of this bill is not important enough to stop Congress from making a point about more important legislation.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2018, 01:37:14 am »

It's also how we got earmarks, pork projects, bloated budgets, and uniparty problems.

How about concentrating on the issue at hand.

Was the defeat of the farm bill a plain rebuke to Congress about failures on illegal immigration legislation?  And, if so, was it worth it, if it succeeds?

I say it was.

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2018, 01:48:12 am »
I think back in Reagan's day... you give me something and I'll give you something back ....worked as it had in Congress since the founding. The change is  today's  Congress critters view of "public service" as a once in  lifetime  shot to make themselves and their progeny financially secure. Their election is just a means to an personal end..

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:55:41 am by montanajoe »

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2018, 01:52:14 am »
I think back in Reagan's day... you give me something and I'll give you something back ....worked as it had since in Congress the founding. The change iis today's that the Congress critters view "public service" as a one in  lifetime  shot to make themselves and their progeny financially secure.

I think that you are spot on but there are a few (damned few) exceptions.  Probably not more than you can count with your fingers and toes in the whole place.
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2018, 01:52:46 am »
I think back in Reagan's day... you give me something and I'll give you something back ....worked as it had since in Congress the founding. The change iis today's that the Congress critters view "public service" as a one in  lifetime  shot to make themselves and their progeny financially secure.

There were some good things in Ryan's farm bill ... like making it tougher to get food stamps but this is what I read about the Freedom Caucus on Fox News:

"Freedom Caucus members said that they would not vote for the legislation unless Ryan brought forward their preferred bill on dealing with young adults who were brought to the United States illegally as minors. Their bill on the “DREAMers” probably could not pass the House and definitely could not pass the Senate. By forcing the vote, though, Freedom Caucus members hope to punish their fellow Republicans who take more moderate positions about those in the United States illegally.

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2018, 01:53:11 am »
How about concentrating on the issue at hand.

Was the defeat of the farm bill a plain rebuke to Congress about failures on illegal immigration legislation?  And, if so, was it worth it, if it succeeds?

I say it was.

Maybe you should read the article and see how happy Dems are to support the discharge petition.  You think that's good for immigration?  So, now, they have no farm bill, until maybe later, which will upset some heartland voters even though the bill largely had to do with SNAP.  Also, they'll most likely get passage of something much weaker than Goodlatte on immigration, which will upset more people on the right.  Doesn't seem like they've done themselves any favors.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 01:53:54 am by edpc »
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2018, 01:54:50 am »
There were some good things in Ryan's farm bill ... like making it tougher to get food stamps but this is what I read about the Freedom Caucus on Fox News:

"Freedom Caucus members said that they would not vote for the legislation unless Ryan brought forward their preferred bill on dealing with young adults who were brought to the United States illegally as minors. Their bill on the “DREAMers” probably could not pass the House and definitely could not pass the Senate. By forcing the vote, though, Freedom Caucus members hope to punish their fellow Republicans who take more moderate positions about those in the United States illegally.

I hope they succeed in outing the worthless pukes!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Online corbe

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2018, 02:11:42 am »
GOP revolts multiply against retiring Ryan

By Scott Wong and Melanie Zanona - 05/18/18 05:34 PM EDT

Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.) appears to be losing his grip on power over a restive House Republican conference just a month after announcing he would retire from Congress.

Members of the far-right Freedom Caucus teamed with moderate Republicans on Friday to sink the farm bill, a major legislative priority and legacy item for the lame-duck Speaker.

In a related development, a band of 20 centrist Republicans are revolting against Ryan, circumventing leadership by using a rare procedural tactic to force a series of immigration votes.

<..snip..>

http://thehill.com/homenew/house/388399-gop-revolts-multiply-against-retiring-ryan
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2018, 02:34:18 am »
They'll have to be ready for the next one:

In the wake of the House defeat, a different farm bill being crafted in the Senate will now be the center of attention. That bill is not riven by the same in-fighting that sank the House version—it is being prepared in a bipartisan fashion by the Senate Agriculture Committee—but that means it is unlikely to include any significant reforms to the subsidies, handouts, and corporate welfare that legislators and lobbysists have cultivated through the years.

---Eric Boehm, Reason

**nononono*

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2018, 03:24:20 am »

Maybe you should read the article and see how happy Dems are to support the discharge petition.  You think that's good for immigration?  So, now, they have no farm bill, until maybe later, which will upset some heartland voters even though the bill largely had to do with SNAP.  Also, they'll most likely get passage of something much weaker than Goodlatte on immigration, which will upset more people on the right.  Doesn't seem like they've done themselves any favors.

That's one point of view @edpc but this group of conservatives have not been able to persuade Paul Ryan to bring a bill to the floor regarding immigration and they are trying to get his attention.

I'm not sure if it will end up being a good thing or not.  We shall see.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2018, 09:32:07 am »
Good!  About time they asserted themselves and stood up to Paul Ryan!
Damn straight Bigun.  If the GOP majority never passes another piece of legislation it will be too soon.  Republicans - Coasting to 2018!
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:34:36 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Slide Rule

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2018, 11:59:57 am »
House rejects farm bill as conservatives revolt
By Juliegrace Brufke - 05/18/18 12:04 PM EDT

A five-year farm bill went down to defeat in the House on Friday in a stunning blow to GOP leaders brought about by conservative unrest about immigration.

In a 198-213 vote, GOP conservatives essentially joined Democrats in rejecting the measure, which would have introduced new requirements for the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program [SNAP] that were a priority for Speaker Paul Ryan (R-Wis.).

Conservatives in the House Freedom Caucus opposed the farm bill after leadership failed to deliver on their demand to hold a vote on a conservative-backed immigration bill crafted by Judiciary Chairman Bob Goodlatte (R-Va.) before the farm bill came to the floor.

more
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/388302-house-rejects-farm-bill-as-conservatives-revolt

So much for Paul Ryan's legacy.

:)
White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2018, 03:57:40 pm »
The Freedom Caucus is a gang of idiots.  If they had stuck with other Republicans,  the farm bill could have been passed with new work requirements for Food Stamps.  I guess that just isn't a conservative priority - because now the Farm Bill will be passed without those changes.   Instead, the FC wants an immediate vote on an immigration bill that represents bad policy and has no hope of passage.   And in retaliation, additional  moderate Republicans will stand up and support the discharge petition to bring a bipartisan immigration bill to the floor.

Screw the Freedom Caucus.   They sure aren't doing a damn thing for conservtives.   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2018, 04:00:42 pm »
The Freedom Caucus is a gang of idiots.  If they had stuck with other Republicans,  the farm bill could have been passed with new work requirements for Food Stamps.  I guess that just isn't a conservative priority - because now the Farm Bill will be passed without those changes.   Instead, the FC wants an immediate vote on an immigration bill that represents bad policy and has no hope of passage.   And in retaliation, additional  moderate Republicans will stand up and support the discharge petition to bring a bipartisan immigration bill to the floor.

Screw the Freedom Caucus.   They sure aren't doing a damn thing for conservtives.   

That's high praise, coming from you.   :beer:

Offline jpsb

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2018, 04:15:55 pm »
That's high praise, coming from you.   :beer:

:bigsilly:

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2018, 09:40:33 pm »

If you were truly a Conservative you would make such idiotic statements.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 09:43:04 pm by txradioguy »
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2018, 09:57:03 pm »

Supporting amnesty and illegal immigrants is not a moderate position.

It's quite radical and has been throughout history in every nation it's been used to further the leftist agenda.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online catfish1957

• FJB!!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2018, 11:32:00 pm »
The Freedom Caucus is a gang of idiots. 

So pray tell, who is carrying the conservative banner in DC?  And if you say DJT........ :thud:
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #43 on: May 21, 2018, 02:59:31 am »
So pray tell, who is carrying the conservative banner in DC?  And if you say DJT........ :thud:
He will never answer you.

He has moved on to pollute more conservative sites.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
« Reply #44 on: May 21, 2018, 02:34:06 pm »
It's called politics, @edpc .  The passage of this bill is not important enough to stop Congress from making a point about more important legislation.

The farm bill is very important legislation.  Not just because of the stability it provides to farmers - currently facing low prices and hard times - but because (through an historical quirk) it is the means of funding SNAP,  one of the biggest social welfare programs.

Getting a handle on runaway entitlement programs has traditionally been far more of a conservative concern than appeasing nativists.  If the FC had joined with other Republicans,  work requirements could have been imposed on SNAP recipients.   That could have emphasized the welfare-to-work culture while at least starting to rein in deficits caused by out-of-control entitlements. 

Instead, the FC has doomed these efforts, in favor of pushing their anti-immigrant pogrom that has the potential to nip economic growth in the bud.   Legal immigration is necessary to our continued prosperity;  statistics released just last week show American birthrates at their lowest rate ever.   American companies will soon be cancelling domestic expansion plans if Know-Nothings get their way and make it impossible for companies to predict how they will satisfy their future employment needs.     
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline montanajoe

« Reply #45 on: May 31, 2018, 02:18:37 am »
The farm bill is very important legislation.  Not just because of the stability it provides to farmers - currently facing low prices and hard times - but because (through an historical quirk) it is the means of funding SNAP,  one of the biggest social welfare programs.

Getting a handle on runaway entitlement programs has traditionally been far more of a conservative concern than appeasing nativists.  If the FCntr had joined with other Republicans,  work requirements could have been imposed on SNAP recipients.   That could have emphasized the welfare-to-work culture while at least starting to rein in deficits caused by out-of-control entitlements. 

Instead, the FC has doomed these efforts, in favor of pushing their anti-immigrant pogrom that has the potential to nip economic growth in the bud.   Legal immigration is necessary to our continued prosperity;  statistics released just last week show American birthrates at their lowest rate ever.   American companies will soon be cancelling domestic expansion plans if Know-Nothings get their way and make it impossible for companies to predict how they will satisfy their future employment needs.   
888high58888 The city Dims and the city Gophers have simply lost touch with us folks in fly over country.. :shrug:
« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 02:19:10 am by montanajoe »