Author Topic: US calls for emergency Security Council over Gaza rocket attacks  (Read 1505 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

US calls for emergency Security Council over Gaza rocket attacks
Israel National News, May 29, 2018

This afternoon, the United States called for an emergency meeting of the UN Security Council to discuss the latest attacks on Israel out of the Gaza Strip by Hamas and other militants. The meeting is expected to take place later Tuesday afternoon.

“The recent attacks out of Gaza are the largest we have seen since 2014. Mortars fired by Palestinian militants hit civilian infrastructure, including a kindergarten. The Security Council should be outraged and respond to this latest bout of violence directed at innocent Israeli civilians, and the Palestinian leadership needs to be held accountable for what they’re allowing to happen in Gaza,” said US Ambassador to the UN Nikki Haley.

More:  http://www.israelnationalnews.com/News/News.aspx/246651

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
Re: US calls for emergency Security Council over Gaza rocket attacks
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 09:01:03 pm »
Allowing to happen.  I'd wager they directed the attacks.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 09:04:13 pm »
And do what, exactly, Haley?

Give Israel cover to bomb the Gaza Strip?  They're doing it.
Close off all exit routes in Gaza?  That's the norm.
Blockade Gaza?  Already done.
Send in UN peacekeeping forces?  Israel's against this.
Round up Hamas members?  If past is prologue, this is next on Israel's "to do" list.
Destroy the "homes" of Hamas members?   Already done.
Implement sanctions?  There's no economy to sanction.
Condemn Hamas?  Done and done.

The only thing left to do is to sit down and talk.  Maybe you can take this opportunity to invite Jordan and Egypt to the table along with Israel and Hamas, Haley.

Then, if the mood so strikes you, walk out.

« Last Edit: May 29, 2018, 09:56:39 pm by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 10:41:27 pm »

Round up Hamas members?  If past is prologue, this is next on Israel's "to do" list.

The only thing left to do is to sit down and talk. Maybe you can take this opportunity to invite Jordan and Egypt to the table along with Israel and Hamas, Haley.

No it's not.

Just take back the land.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline aligncare

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 10:52:51 pm »
Palestine and Palestinians are a relatively recent invention set in motion by Arab forces opposed to the presence of a Jewish state in the Middle East. Terrorism is their tool of choice for achieving the goal of pushing the Jews into the Mediterranean.

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 11:43:50 pm »
No it's not.

Just take back the land.

Israel can do this in a heartbeat.  The pesky little problem is what to do with the people living there.  Hence, the need to talk ... and to involve Egypt and Jordan.

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 11:48:18 pm »
Israel can do this in a heartbeat.  The pesky little problem is what to do with the people living there.  Hence, the need to talk ... and to involve Egypt and Jordan.
they handled it before and they can do it again.  Pesky?  Maybe.  But better than getting its citizens killed by rocket attacks.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

« Reply #7 on: May 30, 2018, 12:02:05 am »
they handled it before and they can do it again.  Pesky?  Maybe.  But better than getting its citizens killed by rocket attacks.

How did they handle it before?  Do you mean when they "gave up" Gaza?

Offline endicom

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2018, 12:10:55 am »

I think she's doing what. The UN keeps condemning Israel so she's interjecting some reality.

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2018, 12:30:08 am »

I think she's doing what. The UN keeps condemning Israel so she's interjecting some reality.

I get that's what she's doing... but at what point do leaders come to the table and fix this.  Why can't Haley demand this?

This war after war after war has been happening for far too long, too many damn years.  I'm almost at the point where I don't care who sends off the first firecracker any more.  It's starting to sound like a really subpar plot for "Groundhog Day".

Seriously.  End this for all parties involved.  End it.  If it's not ended, then it's because no party wants it to.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 12:48:19 am by Right_in_Virginia »

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2018, 12:20:56 pm »
How did they handle it before?  Do you mean when they "gave up" Gaza?
They pushed a 'No go zone" like the Muslim areas of Europe under the erroneous thinking that if one removes elements supposedly causing hostility problems will go away.

Instead and predictably, removing the Jewish population from Gaza introduced Hamas which fomented added anger toward the Jewish state.

Led by Hamas, productive land and infrastructure was destroyed, and greatly decreased the quality of life in Gaza, not to mention the increased terrorism threats from rocket attacks, and the sea access to resupply the terrorists.

Unlike your 1,2,3 analysis, this remains an alternative course of action, as it was for the 50 years it was held by Israel.

« Last Edit: May 30, 2018, 12:22:23 pm by IsailedawayfromFR »

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2018, 01:42:52 pm »
They pushed a 'No go zone" like the Muslim areas of Europe under the erroneous thinking that if one removes elements supposedly causing hostility problems will go away.

Instead and predictably, removing the Jewish population from Gaza introduced Hamas which fomented added anger toward the Jewish state.

Led by Hamas, productive land and infrastructure was destroyed, and greatly decreased the quality of life in Gaza, not to mention the increased terrorism threats from rocket attacks, and the sea access to resupply the terrorists.

Unlike your 1,2,3 analysis, this remains an alternative course of action, as it was for the 50 years it was held by Israel.

I'm sorry and am not trying to be deliberately obtuse, but what remains an alternative course of action?  An expanded (?) no go zone?

Thanks.

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2018, 03:02:04 pm »
I'm sorry and am not trying to be deliberately obtuse, but what remains an alternative course of action?  An expanded (?) no go zone?

Thanks.
On your list of alternatives under

The only thing left to do is to sit down and talk.  Maybe you can take this opportunity to invite Jordan and Egypt to the table along with Israel and Hamas, Haley.

You need to add 'take back the land'.

« Reply #13 on: May 30, 2018, 04:17:48 pm »
On your list of alternatives under You need to add 'take back the land'.

Oh, thanks.  I did address this separately.  Taking back the land is easy peasy.  Figuring out what to do with the people living there is the sticking point.  Figuring out what to do with the elected Hamas "leadership" is even messier.

Do the Gazans remain occupied people into perpetuity?  Do the Israeli's annex the land and the people making them full Israeli citizens?  Are the Gazans "simply" killed off?  Or is there a solution to be found among the leaders of Israel, Jordan, Egypt and, yes, Hamas?

« Reply #14 on: May 30, 2018, 05:07:12 pm »
Oh, thanks.  I did address this separately.  Taking back the land is easy peasy.  Figuring out what to do with the people living there is the sticking point.  Figuring out what to do with the elected Hamas "leadership" is even messier.

Do the Gazans remain occupied people into perpetuity?  Do the Israeli's annex the land and the people making them full Israeli citizens?  Are the Gazans "simply" killed off?  Or is there a solution to be found among the leaders of Israel, Jordan, Egypt and, yes, Hamas?
the people of Gaza lost a war during 1967 when Israel defeated a massed Arab army.  History proliferates with examples of conquered peoples.  In this case, like the Golan Heights, defense should be prioty, not the people in the conquered territory, period.

« Reply #15 on: May 30, 2018, 06:06:39 pm »
the people of Gaza lost a war during 1967 when Israel defeated a massed Arab army.  History proliferates with examples of conquered peoples.  In this case, like the Golan Heights, defense should be prioty, not the people in the conquered territory, period.

What matters now is what happened in 2005.

« Reply #16 on: May 30, 2018, 07:14:43 pm »
What matters now is what happened in 2005.
How so?  Are you suggesting there can be no reversals such as Iran remaining a mullah state instead of one an ally of the US?

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
« Reply #17 on: May 30, 2018, 07:30:13 pm »
I recommend artillery.
Countdown to Resignation

« Reply #18 on: May 30, 2018, 08:27:34 pm »
How so?  Are you suggesting there can be no reversals such as Iran remaining a mullah state instead of one an ally of the US?

I truly don't know what you're referring to here.  But I was referring to Israel relinquishing the Gaza Strip in 2005...an act that makes the 1967 military victory irrelevant.

« Reply #19 on: May 30, 2018, 10:06:55 pm »
I truly don't know what you're referring to here.  But I was referring to Israel relinquishing the Gaza Strip in 2005...an act that makes the 1967 military victory irrelevant.
You seem to be advocating that once done, there is not turning back.

Israel relinquished Gaza in 2005 under certain assumptions.  Those may now be irrelevant.

Iran embraced the philosophy of radical Islam 40 years ago.  That does not mean it still must remain radical. 

You see no way that Iran's condition can change?

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #20 on: May 30, 2018, 10:38:10 pm »
I sailed wrote:
"You see no way that Iran's condition can change?"

I see "a way":
Bombs.
LOTS of bombs.
(and I'm serious about that).

Gaza?
Either the Israelis must "disappear"... or... the palestinians.

I prefer ... the latter.

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2018, 12:05:41 am »
I see "a way":
Bombs.
LOTS of bombs.
(and I'm serious about that).

Gaza?
Either the Israelis must "disappear"... or... the palestinians.

Oh, palease.  The Israelis are not going to "disappear" because of the Palestinians, most especially those in Gaza. Israel is the power in the neighborhood.  No one doubts this.  And the cherry on the parfait is Israel is backed by the world's superpower.  So Israel "disappearing" is not an issue--no matter how often it's said.

If Israel chooses your preferred route @Fishrrman --- to use "lots of bombs" as the solution to this --- it won't be because Israel fears for its survival.

« Last Edit: May 31, 2018, 12:06:49 am by Right_in_Virginia »