Author Topic: President Trump signs 'right to try' law to get experiment drugs for terminal patients  (Read 389 times)

Offline SirLinksALot

SOURCE: WFMY NEWS

URL: https://www.wfmynews2.com/article/news/nation-now/president-trump-signs-right-to-try-law-to-get-experiment-drugs-for-terminal-patients/465-c036ce19-f1be-4ba9-b70d-b1ed9e8479a6

by John Fritz

President Trump signed legislation Wednesday to give terminally ill patients the ability to access experimental drugs that have not won approval from the Food and Drug Administration.   

The "right to try" measure will let patients who have exhausted other options access drugs in early stages of FDA review. Trump has frequently noted his support for the idea, most recently during his State of the Union address in January.   

"For countless patients, time is not what they have," the president said. "With the right to try, patients with life-threatening illnesses will finally have access to experimental treatments that could improve or even cure their conditions."

Trump has sought several changes in FDA policy this year, most of which have been aimed at lowering the cost of prescription drugs or speeding their review. Hinting at the possibility of another announcement, Trump said that pharmaceutical companies would announce a “voluntary, massive” reduction in prices in coming weeks.

The "right to try" legislation gives terminally ill patients the ability to access drugs that have cleared the initial phase of review but have not been fully cleared by the FDA. The House approved a Senate-passed bill earlier this month on a mostly party-line vote.

Supporters said the measure gives a lifeline to patients who don’t have another option. Opponents are concerned about cutting the FDA out of the process and have questioned whether it would, in fact, give patients greater access to experimental drugs.

(EXCERPT) CLICK ABOVE LINK FOR THE REST...

Offline Maj. Bill Martin

• I'll make Mincemeat out of 'em"
A good idea that would be popular with most people.  So I predict it will get little coverage from the mainstream press.

Offline SirLinksALot

Some questions come up for me... what kind of treatment is allowed to be tried? if the answer is anything, then, you leave the desperate patient vulnerable to hoaxes out there ( and potentially beneficial cures as well ).

On the other hand, if the principle is LIBERTY ( i.e., Freedom to live and take risks as you see fit ), then this bill is totally compatible and with the spirit of the constitution.

As for this counter argument in the article: it will leave patients vulnerable to medicines that might not work or even be harmful

Well yes, isn't that the whole point? These patients are gravely ill already so they have nothing to lose, to be blunt, and there's always a chance that one of the experimental medicines WILL work, which would speed up the trial process.

Offline Suppressed

I'll take freedom and liberty to try things, thanks.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
I'll take freedom and liberty to try things, thanks.

You can believe there is a phone book sized waiver to be signed that gives away a lot of your rights.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.