Author Topic: I was 21, Framed and Tortured in a Lebanese Prison  (Read 410 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
I was 21, Framed and Tortured in a Lebanese Prison
« on: May 30, 2018, 03:34:53 am »
A bit of a Midnight Express narrative about Lebanon, I'm glad he got out. In fact, the subject did no wrong, he is a diabetic and they accused him of having drugs.

I was 21, Framed and Tortured in a Lebanese Prison

Born and raised in Australia, 21-year-old Ahmed Allouche traveled to his parents' Lebanese village for a taste of cultural heritage. But when police mistook his friend’s insulin needles and calcium tablets for drug paraphernalia, he experienced the most harrowing ordeal of his life. The two young men were arrested and violently tortured over a five-day period that Ahmed describes as “the closest I’ve ever felt to death.”

Like many first generation migrants, Ahmed wanted to experience Lebanese culture as it was described to him throughout his childhood. The problem is that the place his parents left has itself moved on. Our parents often subconsciously suppress their memories of war and conflict, creating an unrealistic depiction of homeland that falls apart as soon as their children arrive.

With my own parents from Afghanistan, it's an issue I've faced too. So upon Ahmed's release and arrival back to Sydney, we got on the phone to discuss his experiences as an Australian with Lebanese parents, tortured in a Lebanese prison.

Read more at: https://www.vice.com/en_au/article/xwmybn/i-was-21-framed-and-tortured-in-a-lebanese-prison