Author Topic: The Latest: Trump confirms NKorean official headed to NY  (Read 471 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

The Latest: Trump confirms NKorean official headed to NY
« on: May 29, 2018, 11:37:33 am »
The Latest: Trump confirms NKorean official headed to NY
ABC News, May 29, 2018, Associated Press

The Latest on preparations for a possible summit between President Donald Trump and North Korea's Kim Jong Un (all times local):

7:40 p.m.

President Donald Trump has confirmed that top North Korean official Kim Yong Chol is heading to New York for talks on an upcoming summit between Trump and North Korean leader Kim Jong Un.

Trump tweeted early Tuesday: "We have put a great team together for our talks with North Korea. Meetings are currently taking place concerning Summit, and more. Kim Young Chol, the Vice Chairman of North Korea, heading now to New York. Solid response to my letter, thank you!"

Read more:  https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/wireStory/latest-senior-north-korean-reportedly-heading-us-55497618

Offline aligncare

Re: The Latest: Trump confirms NKorean official headed to NY
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2018, 12:49:28 pm »
So, NYT, CNN and all the “smart” foreign policy pundits they employ, I guess the world didn’t end when President Trump “recklessly” pulled out of the summit last week. 

Offline Concerned

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2018, 02:24:26 pm »
So, NYT, CNN and all the “smart” foreign policy pundits they employ, I guess the world didn’t end when President Trump “recklessly” pulled out of the summit last week.

I didn't read that the world was going "to end" when Trump said he'd pull out. Got a link to those statements by the NYT, CNN, and others? 
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2018, 02:40:33 pm »
I didn't read that the world was going "to end" when Trump said he'd pull out. Got a link to those statements by the NYT, CNN, and others?

Have you been living under a rock?  Seriously ... how did you miss all of this?

Here is just one "report" from NYT .... alternately celebrating the President's misadventure and predicting everything from renewed, heightened nuclear tensions to the end of China's cooperation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/24/world/asia/north-korea-trump-summit.html

Offline Concerned

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2018, 03:04:13 pm »
Have you been living under a rock?  Seriously ... how did you miss all of this?

Here is just one "report" from NYT .... alternately celebrating the President's misadventure and predicting everything from renewed, heightened nuclear tensions to the end of China's cooperation.

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/05/24/world/asia/north-korea-trump-summit.html

No, I have not been "living under a rock".  I read your link with great interest to see where the NYT said that the world would "end" since Trump announced he was pulling out yet I didn't see it.   :shrug:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2018, 03:43:08 pm »
It's liable to equal the productivity of the Vice Chairman Jo Myong Rok visit to the US in 2000.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2018, 03:46:01 pm »
@Concerned Are you unfamiliar with using hyperbole to drive home a point?

But, trust me folks all the news networks and usual suspects were on a 24-hour doom-and-gloom binge at the announcement last week that Trump was canceling the summit.

Offline Concerned

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2018, 07:05:28 pm »
@Concerned Are you unfamiliar with using hyperbole to drive home a point?

But, trust me folks all the news networks and usual suspects were on a 24-hour doom-and-gloom binge at the announcement last week that Trump was canceling the summit.

@aligncare

I am definitely familiar with "using hyperbole to drive home a point" but when specific media sources are cited along with specific words put in quotes, I'd consider that "untruthful hyperbole" (to modify the President's term).  YMMV.