Author Topic: Somehow, Trout still brings shock value  (Read 1307 times)

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Somehow, Trout still brings shock value
« on: May 27, 2018, 06:17:38 pm »
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.blogspot.com/2018/05/somehow-trout-still-brings-shock-value.html

Mike Trout, laying the Yankees to waste
Saturday night.

Sometimes it gets to the point where you take Mike Trout's greatness for granted. The best all-around player in the game? Wake me when he isn't, never mind it might be another several years, yet. Busting games wide open? Been there, done that. Yanking the Angels from behind? Big deal. He's in the Most Valuable Player Award conversation? C'mon, he's in it routinely every season, almost.

Even hitting an earlier-season 1-for-22 slump didn't have anybody worried. They just knew that, for anyone else, that's a portent for disaster, but for Trout it's just a temporary traffic jam.

Then he does something that even he's never done before, prompting you to shake your head and try to remind yourself that he's been there, done that, often enough that it's as natural as coffee at your breakfast table. Except that, until Saturday night, even Trout hadn't done what he did to the Yankees in the Yankees' playpen.

Every time you think the Jersey boy's lost his capacity for shock value, he finds it.

Four extra base hits, one infield single letting him remind you he's got some speed, four runs batted in, eleven total bases, and a 5-for-5 night. One bomb and three doubles. It was almost an afterthought that he'd tied the Red Sox's Mookie Betts for the major leagues' home run lead at 17, making what one writer said was the home run race as a mirror of the league MVP race.

And this was on a night Aaron Judge---beating Ryan Howard by two games as the fastest man in baseball ever to get to 70 career homers---put the Angels in a 2-1 hole in the first inning with a mammoth rip into the right center field pavilion. After Trout opened the game putting the Angels on the board, 1-0, with an RBI double banging off the left field wall.

Next time up, Trout shot a liner the other way into the right field corner to set up second and third. Next time up, with a man on third, he hit one out to put the Angels up 5-4. Next time up, Trout drove one into the left center field gap for an RBI double. Next time up, he grounded one so deep in the hole behind third base that Yankee shortstop Didi Gregorius could have fired to first with a cannon and missed Trout by a step and a half.

When the Angels finished the Saturday night massacre, 11-4, people probably rubbed their eyes learning it was the first 5-for-5 game of Trout's career. Including maybe Trout himself, who'd only been 7-for-34 lifetime against Yankee starter Sonny Gray before he checked in at the plate for the first time.

"I just felt like I was seeing a good pitch to hit and not missing it," he told Fox Sports's Ken Rosenthal at one point during the evening. "I faced him a lot when he was in Oakland. I kinda knew all his pitches, he's a tough pitcher. I went to bat every time out there against him."

Gray hasn't exactly been as tough as advertised this season, and he knows it. "I think the stuff was good, just the results weren't," he said after the game ended. "I don't think I got a leadoff hitter out all night, and that can make for a long game for a starter. He's an unbelievable player, and I think he kind of showed that tonight."

Yankee manager Aaron Boone admitted he was overwhelmingly tempted to walk Trout in the fourth, when Trout stepped in with first base open and Kole Calhoun (leadoff walk) on third after a followup single. (Angels rookie catcher Jose Briceno got himself thrown out trying to stretch it to second.) He probably should have given in to temptation. The only thing making it palatable was that this wasn't Tommy Lasorda letting Tom Niedenfeuer pitch to Jack Clark with first base open and the Dodgers one out from a World Series.

"Yeah," he said. "But I just felt like at that point in the fourth inning, they're starting to turn the lineup over again, and if we walk him he probably ends up at second. So we're basically at that point putting the go-ahead run on second. So not really. If we had gone to like 3-0 or something we would have put him on, but otherwise, no."

Just as Jack the Ripper ruined Lasorda and Niedenfeuer with a three-run homer for which the Dodgers had no answer and an early winter vacation start, Trout ruined Boone and Gray. Gray fed him a 2-1 slider toward the low outside corner, and Trout fed it into the left field bleachers. All for the love of the Yankees trying to duck second and third on a possible stolen base. Angels manager Mike Scioscia's only regret might have been that it didn't mean the pennant in the end.

After hitting Justin Upton with a pitch, Gray's night was over and, two innings later, the Angels decided Yankee reliever Tommy Kahnle was ripe for immediate use, misuse, and abuse.

First, Briceno, playing in his first major league game ever, wrung out a leadoff walk after falling into the 0-2 hole early. Zack Cozart might have forced him out at second, but Yankee second baseman Gleyber Torres committed an error that would cost the Yankees big, on a night his streak of four straight games with a home run ended.

Up stepped Trout. And home came Briceno, who would hit a two-run homer in the seventh to seal the scoring. After a walk, Albert Pujols singled home Cozart and Trout, before Chris Young scored while Shohei Ohtani whacked into a double play.

All this on a night rookie Angels starter Jaime Barria had to shake off back-to-back first inning homers by Judge and Brett Gardner just prior. He gave the Angels five decent innings before handing off to a bullpen that threw one-hit ball at the Yankees the rest of the night.

But nobody else really cared about that. Or, about Briceno's splendid game after labouring eight long enough years in the minors. Or, even, about Judge's milestone mash. Or, even, about Greg Bird returning to the Yankees from the disabled list, forcing the Yankees into the dubious decision to send their super utility man Ronald Torreyes down to Triple-A Scranton.

The Yankee clubhouse wasn't exactly in a great mood when Torreyes proved the sacrificial lamb. Then Trout came out and made lamb chops out of them while having a career night in a career loaded enough with them. Or so everyone thought.

What's next for Trout? The projections have him on pace for---read carefully---fifty home runs, 140 runs scored, maybe 105-110 runs batted in, a .461 on-base percentage for the season (that's his OBP right now, and it leads the league, as do his 48 walks), and maybe finishing the season with the .687 slugging percentage he now has.

Trout already has 4.9 wins above a replacement level player, too, and that leads the league. For anyone else, that's a season, and a respectable one at that. He could end up with 12 WAR or better, maybe even enough to tie Babe Ruth's 14.1 in 1923; he's easily on pace to lead the league in WAR for the fifth time in his seven-season-and-counting career.

At this writing, Baseball Reference figures the most similar batter to Trout through his age 26 season is Hall of Famer Frank Robinson. The next three to whom he's most similar are three more Hall of Famers: Ken Griffey, Jr., Mickey Mantle, and Hank Aaron.

Betts through his age 25 season isn't traveling in company quite that distinguished: BR says his most-similar hitter through age 25 is Grady Sizemore, with Hall of Famer Duke Snider right behind, followed by Del Ennis and Jack Clark. That's not exactly ugly company, unless you count the injuries that killed Sizemore's career, but that's not a four-pack of Hall of Famers, either.

Every time you think Trout can't get any better than he already is, he finds ways to disabuse you. The only thing missing on his resume is a 5-for-5 day or night on which all five hits are home runs. But would it shock you if he does that before his career is over?
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
@Polly Ticks
@Machiavelli
@Bigun
@catfish1957
@Cyber Liberty
@DCPatriot
@dfwgator
@flowers
@Freya
@GrouchoTex
@Mom MD
@musiclady
@Right_in_Virginia
@Slip18
@TomSea
@truth_seeker
@WarmPotato

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
Re: Somehow, Trout still brings shock value
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2018, 06:19:07 pm »
You can write, man
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2018, 06:21:45 pm »
You can write, man
@Freya
And you're a kind lady.

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Offline LucasWhite

• IMDEX.org - Image-based Encyclopedia
« Reply #3 on: May 30, 2018, 10:26:38 pm »
He needs to acknowledge his dad and get some cool glasses.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #4 on: May 30, 2018, 10:31:43 pm »
He needs to acknowledge his dad and get some cool glasses.
@LucasWhite
He's actually no relation to that Trout family, not even a distant cousin.

Steve Trout, of course, is the son of one-time major league pitcher Dizzy Trout---whose biggest claim to fame with me was the remark he was quoted as making when he learned of Yogi Berra's nuptials: Hey, Yogi, I hear ya got married. How does your wife like living in a tree?

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2018, 10:46:47 pm »
I hear those Electric Catfish pack quite a wallop also.

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2018, 11:16:36 pm »
I hear those Electric Catfish pack quite a wallop also.
@RoosGirl
They did, once upon a time . . .

! No longer available

Offline LucasWhite

• IMDEX.org - Image-based Encyclopedia
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2018, 02:53:00 pm »
@LucasWhite
He's actually no relation to that Trout family, not even a distant cousin.

Haha, yeah, that's what they claim.  Only his mother really knows.  :nometalk:   :rolling:

Offline Slip18

• idiot savant
« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2018, 07:46:09 pm »
Late for the soiree, but wanted to let you know that your writing of baseball scenarios are the best I have ever read.  I do hope you get paid loads of dinero for your gift.

Wonderful read!  Thank you, @EasyAce!

I have been watching Trout for a few years myself.  He appears to be a great example for the kiddos, too. Try to get an autographed anything of his, though.  Impossible!  The kids probably have all of his autographed cards, balls, bats, shirts and caps.

I also remember when Mike Scioscia was an outstanding catcher for the Dodgers.  I am sure I have his autograph on something somewhere.  LOL!

888high58888
"It's fun; baseball's fun."  Yogi Berra

Offline EasyAce

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2018, 07:49:53 pm »
Late for the soiree, but wanted to let you know that your writing of baseball scenarios are the best I have ever read.  I do hope you get paid loads of dinero for your gift.
@Slip18
Put it this way---I work hard for what I don't make. ;)

I have been watching Trout for a few years myself.  He appears to be a great example for the kiddos, too. Try to get an autographed anything of his, though.  Impossible!  The kids probably have all of his autographed cards, balls, bats, shirts and caps.
From the look of it, you've got to get him at the ballpark before game time. He's known to stand in the dugout autographing whatever the kiddos toss his way, from balls and shirts to cards and caps and back.

Online andy58-in-nh

« Reply #10 on: June 03, 2018, 08:18:57 pm »
By Yours Truly
https://throneberryfields.blogspot.com/2018/05/somehow-trout-still-brings-shock-value.html

Finely, written, as always.

I love Mookie Betts, for sure. I saw him play in AA, right here in NH when the Portland Sea Dogs took on the NH Fisher Cats and he was wearing the Mick's old number 7.  His reputation had already preceded him. I pointed him out to my father-in-law, who grew up admiring Ted Williams. "Watch this guy's swing, dad. Yeah, he's not that big, but look at the power he generates!"

Yet I have to agree: Mike Trout is in a league of his own. 
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn