Author Topic: Parkland Students’ Anti-NRA Protest Against Publix Backfires  (Read 755 times)

Online Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Publix Super Markets Inc. announced it’s suspending all political donations in the wake of a “die-in” boycott from anti-gun Parkland students and others opposed to its donation to a pro-NRA Florida political candidate.

The move presumably includes liberal politicians and causes, too. Some on Twitter pointed out that Publix has given plenty of money to left-leaning causes.

http://dailycaller.com/2018/05/26/parkland-student-anti-nra-protest-against-publix-backfires/
The Republic is lost.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Isn't the "die-in" where young Mr. Pigg demanded Publix give his leftist group a million bucks?
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

This is not really accurate reporting.

Here's a tally of Publix spending on politicians

Money to congressional candidates: 2016 Cycle
Dems:   Dems: $109,871   $109,871
Repubs:   Repubs: $539,674   $539,674
Others:   Independents: $0   $0
Incumbents:   Total to Members: $635,847   $635,847
Non-Incumbents:   Total to All Candidates: $13,698   $13,698

So the GOP is much more hurt by the cessation of political funding by Publix.

https://www.opensecrets.org/orgs/toprecips.php?id=D000028488&type=&sort=&cycle=2016
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
Look at the ratio of incumbents to outsiders. Over 40 to 1.

It's a perfect illustration of the bribery system that thrives in our government and corporate America.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵

It's a perfect illustration of the bribery system that thrives in our government and corporate America.

Yeah, that ratio struck me too.  I thought was a typo.  So, tell me something new about campaign contributions that are really bribes.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

You mischaracterize what those contributions represent.

They are mostly used to lobby for a particular bill being considered and are used to gain access to a congressman to relate their opinion on pending legislation.  As such, there is little need to consider paying for access to someone not yet a congressman.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
You mischaracterize what those contributions represent.

They are mostly used to lobby for a particular bill being considered and are used to gain access to a congressman to relate their opinion on pending legislation.  As such, there is little need to consider paying for access to someone not yet a congressman.
that's close to what i mean, but you are quite naive if you believe it is just for relating opinions as you put it. That money is to ensure favorable legislation. I live in the state of New York, where Andrew Cuomo is an expert at extorting campaign contributions that we way.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024