Author Topic: Trump signs the biggest rollback of bank rules since the financial crisis  (Read 763 times)

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
President Donald Trump signed the biggest rollback of bank regulations since the global financial crisis into law Thursday.

The measure designed to ease rules on all but the largest banks passed both chambers of Congress with bipartisan support. Backers say the legislation will lift burdens unnecessarily put on small and medium-sized lenders by the Dodd-Frank financial reform act and boost economic growth.

Opponents, however, have argued the changes could open taxpayers to more liability if the financial system collapses or increase the chances of discrimination in mortgage lending.

"Dodd-Frank was something they said could not be touched. And honestly, a lot of great Democrats knew that it had to be done and they joined us in the effort," Trump said before he signed the bill, surrounded by lawmakers from both major parties. "And there is something so nice about bipartisan, and we're going to have to try more of it. Let's do more of it."

The measure eases restrictions on all but the largest banks. It raises the threshold to $250 billion from $50 billion under which banks are deemed too important to the financial system to fail. Those institutions also would not have to undergo stress tests or submit so-called living wills, both safety valves designed to plan for financial disaster.

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/05/24/trump-signs-bank-bill-rolling-back-some-dodd-frank-regulations.html
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Opponents, however, have argued the changes could open taxpayers to more liability if the financial system collapses or increase the chances of discrimination in mortgage lending.

Here's an idea, then:  Don't force institutions to lend money to high risk applicants, back them with the full faith and credit of the nation, and call them predatory lenders when it inevitably fails.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Offline Frank Cannon

Just more tangible evidence.....Trump is GOD!!!!!

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon

Here's an idea, then:  Don't force institutions to lend money to high risk applicants, back them with the full faith and credit of the nation, and call them predatory lenders when it inevitably fails.

Well that is just "rasssist" talk @edpc There will be no more of that if you please. Remember, It a banks duty to approve loans to people who will never be able to pay them back.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
Remember, it's a banks duty to approve loans to people who will never be able to pay them back.

They were very understanding with me, during the height of the financial crisis.  I think my loan officer's name was Paulie.

! No longer available
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Oceander

That wasn’t the driver for the 2008 financial crisis, and CRA doesn’t usually cause a bank to fail.  There are plenty of other reasons to object to such discriminatory lending, but bank failures aren’t one of them. 

Offline goatprairie

Tsk, tsk.........too much common sense in your statement. :nono: