Author Topic: USDOJ: Climate lawsuits ‘violate constitutional principles’  (Read 438 times)

rangerrebew

USDOJ: Climate lawsuits ‘violate constitutional principles’
Anthony Watts / 5 days ago May 17, 2018   

From the “that’s going to leave a mark” department.

By SPENCER WALRATH

The U.S. Department of Justice (DOJ) last Thursday filed an amicus brief in the cases filed by San Francisco and Oakland against energy producers, slamming the lawsuits and asking the court for dismissal. The lawsuits seek financial “damages” from energy companies for the risks posed by climate change.

The Northern District Court of California invited the DOJ to provide its expert opinion on the cities’ claims and advise on relevant information the court should consider for the case, in which the cities allege that combustion of the companies’ products create a public nuisance.

https://wattsupwiththat.com/2018/05/17/usdoj-climate-lawsuits-violate-constitutional-principles/

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
Just pull the plug. SF and Oakland can cook over burning businesses.

The consumers should sue the cities over the increase in rates which will be inevitable if the power companies are to continue to operate, whether or not the suit goes through, just for legal costs.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline the_doc

Just pull the plug. SF and Oakland can cook over burning businesses.
I'm guessing that you know plenty about smoke, Joe.  (I love the cooking metaphor, by the way.)

Online Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
I'm guessing that you know plenty about smoke, Joe.  (I love the cooking metaphor, by the way.)
Only as a firefighter and from tobacco consumption years ago.

A lot more varieties have become popular since then, but I don't partake.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis