Author Topic: Schumer wants image of North Korea’s ‘brutal dictator’ removed from souvenir summit coin  (Read 1877 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Schumer wants image of North Korea’s ‘brutal dictator’ removed from souvenir summit coin
Washington Times, May 22, 2018, Dave Boyer

Senate Minority Leader Charles E. Schumer of New York called on the White House Tuesday to remove North Korean leader Kim Jong-un’s image from a commemorative coin marking President Trump’s planned summit with Mr. Kim in Singapore.

“I urge the White House to take Kim off the coin,” Mr. Schumer said. “Challenge coins are a time-honored tradition and certainly appropriate in this situation, but Kim Jong-un’s face has no place on this coin.”

He called Mr. Kim “a brutal dictator ” and suggested that a more appropriate image would be the Peace House, a building located in the Demilitarized Zone between North and South Korea.

The White House military office and communications staff create challenge coins for foreign trips by the president. The coin for the North Korean summit refers to Mr. Kim as the “supreme leader,” with images of each man on either side.

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/22/schumer-remove-image-kim-jong-un-summit-coin/

Offline GrouchoTex

Dear Chuck.
I think there are a lot of bigger fish to fry here, but you go ahead.
Go ahead and bitch about a coin.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Dear Chuck.
I think there are a lot of bigger fish to fry here, but you go ahead.
Go ahead and bitch about a coin.

Obviously there are bigger fish to fry, but how is he wrong?  Kim is a genocidal maniac. There should be a Nuremberg type trial for this guy, not a souvenir coin.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Obviously there are bigger fish to fry, but how is he wrong?  Kim is a genocidal maniac. There should be a Nuremberg type trial for this guy, not a souvenir coin.

What are we Team America?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
This is Schumer.  I'm surprised he's not demanding Trump's face be removed.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline ABX

What are we Team America?

The irony of that post is hilarious.

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
The irony of that post is hilarious.

There is gold in all my post dear sir!   
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
Why is there a commemorative coin in the first place? What idiot greenlighted this?

Offline ABX

Why is there a commemorative coin in the first place? What idiot greenlighted this?

This ^^^^

(and I would bet we as taxpayers are footing the bill- if not us, taxpayers in whatever country is putting it out.)

Offline GrouchoTex

I don't know.
It doesn't seem to be that big of a deal to me.
I'd worry more about NK having nukes than someone minting a coin of the meeting.

Maybe they're going to try and hypnotize one another with them, like swaying a gold watch back and forth.

You are getting very sleepy...

Offline ABX

Here it is.. and guess what, we are paying for it (and by "We" I mean the American taxpayer).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44217116

Offline ABX

Unrelated I just thought this was funny when I was looking for the one above.

• Technical
Here it is.. and guess what, we are paying for it (and by "We" I mean the American taxpayer).

http://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-44217116

Looks like something you'd find in a Happy Meal.

Offline GrouchoTex

Looks like something you'd find in a Happy Meal.

Its one of those things you get at a convenience store to scratch off lottery tickets.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline ABX

Its one of those things you get at a convenience store to scratch off lottery tickets.

Or late night infomercials conning little old ladies out of their $19.95.

That gives me an idea, maybe a certain website owner can issue these as gifts for donations to his freepathon?

Offline GrouchoTex

Or late night infomercials conning little old ladies out of their $19.95.

That gives me an idea, maybe a certain website owner can issue these as gifts for donations to his freepathon?

The Franklin mint announces this rare addition coin, with .000009 oz of real 24 carat gold!

But wait, there's more!

act now, and we will send you an additional coin for no extra cost.

(Just pay shipping and handling......)

Offline ABX

The Franklin mint announces this rare addition coin, with .000009 oz of real 24 carat gold!

But wait, there's more!

act now, and we will send you an additional coin for no extra cost.

(Just pay shipping and handling......)

I see people trying to sell off these things at gun shows and online all the time. They get really angry when they are told the so called super-special coin they bought is worth about a dollar.

From the article:

White House deputy press secretary Raj Shah said the White House “did not have any input into the design” of the souvenir coin, of which only 250 were minted

If these 250 coins help get Kim to the negotiating table, do they really matter?  Will they not have served a higher purpose?

Why do so many continue to trip and twist over so little?   

Offline ABX

From the article:

If these 250 coins help get Kim to the negotiating table, do they really matter?  Will they not have served a higher purpose?

Why do so many continue to trip and twist over so little?

If you think they are so great, you can break out your checkbook and write a big check to the US Treasury for the cost to make these. I'm thinking $25,000 should cover it.

Be sure to post a picture of your check to show everyone that you do put your money where your beliefs are.

Just don't ask every other taxpayer in this country to cover it.. even if it is just pennies, all this crap adds up.

• Technical
Remember they made those commemorative coins in the 80's when the Statue of Liberty was refurbished? My grandpa gave me one for Xmas.

Offline ABX

Aaaaand Ebay snaps me back to reality:

https://www.ebay.com/bhp/statue-of-liberty-coin

Yep, big difference in what those coin retailers want and what they actually sell for. :)