Author Topic: How to get a splinter out  (Read 990 times)

rangerrebew

How to get a splinter out
« on: May 22, 2018, 02:19:25 pm »
How to get a splinter out
Last reviewed Mon 21 May 2018
By Jenna Fletcher   
Reviewed by Elaine K. Luo, MD   

Splinters occur when a small, thin fragment of wood or other material punctures the skin and becomes embedded. In most cases, it will be possible to remove the splinter at home. However, anyone attempting this should always wash their hands and any equipment they will use first. If the area becomes infected, it may be necessary to see a doctor.

In this article, we cover simple methods to remove a splinter and explain when a person should seek medical attention.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/321876.php

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Re: How to get a splinter out
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 05:44:53 pm »
Splinters. 

I started educating my feet as soon as I was old enough to run wild over the countryside around our little farm. In those days, it seemed as if the whole earth were carpeted with rusty nails, and stepping on nails and running them into bare feet was a common occurrence among my associates and me. I could have built a small house with all the nails I ran into my feet, which at that early stage of my life were still dumb as the stones they stubbed their toes on.

A rusty nail bites into your foot with a sharp pain, which then fades into a dull, throbbing ache, followed by blood poisoning and possible death. My mother found this degree of torment suffered by her young son to be insufficient. As soon as she detected that I’d run a rusty nail into my foot, she would haul me into the house and add to the torture. She kept a bottle of concentrated liquid fire in the medicine cabinet. I do not recall all the details, but I suppose she first donned an asbestos suit and gloves and then, grasping the bottle of liquid fire with tongs, doused the wound thoroughly. I would then be allowed to ricochet freely about the house and awaken any person who happened to be napping within three miles of our farm. A few such treatments taught my feet to detect a rusty nail at 300 yards. Their education had begun.

Slivers were another important element in the education of my feet. When I was about eight, I ran a huge slab of a sliver into my left foot. From then on, my only mode, of locomotion was the “right-sided hop.” The sliver festered away there for a week or more. My mother came at me repeatedly with a needle, tweezers and her bottle of liquid fire, but she was less strong and less fleet by then, and I could escape-her grasp by means of high-speed hopping.

One Sunday, we went to a loggers picnic. Mom mentioned to one of the loggers that I had a huge sliver in My foot and that I refused to let her operate on it. The logger took out his jack-knife, held a lighted match to the blade and announced to the assembled Picnickers, “I can take out that sliver in nothing flat.”

“Nothing flat” wasn’t quick enough. My first hop toward escape covered a good 10 yards, but it was executed from a dead stop and is hardly worth mentioning, compared with what I accomplished in the next few moments. Observing my flight, a kangaroo would have been embarrassed by its own feeble efforts at hopping. Eventually, some loutish offspring of the loggers ran me down and gleefully hauled me back to the operating table, which by then had been cleared of picnic residue. A crowd soon gathered around the table to observe the operation, there being little entertainment in people’s lives back then. As I recall, the removal of the splinter was relatively painless, obviously a great disappointment to the audience. But then Mom appeared in her asbestos suit with the bottle of liquid fire. She took a couple of bows. The audience broke into applause.

-Patrick McManus - The Bear in the Attic 2003
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2018, 05:54:27 pm »
hmmm in the 8th grade I had a piece of wood go through my palm in shop class.   I pulled most of it out but there is a piece still in there.

Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Smokin Joe

• I was a "conspiracy theorist". Now I'm just right.
« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2018, 05:57:01 pm »
Sawzalll. Works every time. Just bring it out and the splinter disappears.
How God must weep at humans' folly! Stand fast! God knows what he is doing!
Seventeen Techniques for Truth Suppression

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2018, 06:15:42 pm »
Sawzalll. Works every time. Just bring it out and the splinter disappears.

You sound like the doctor, he said amputation was the only way to fix it.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #5 on: May 22, 2018, 07:36:22 pm »
You sound like the doctor, he said amputation was the only way to fix it.
Too many country doctors over the years. My wife's uncle went to the doc, and said "Doc, it hurts when I move my arm like this."

The doctor's response?

"Well, don't move it like that."

Of all tyrannies, a tyranny sincerely exercised for the good of its victims may be the most oppressive. It would be better to live under robber barons than under omnipotent moral busybodies. The robber baron's cruelty may sometimes sleep, his cupidity may at some point be satiated; but those who torment us for our own good will torment us without end for they do so with the approval of their own conscience.

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 07:48:20 pm »

Offline Smokin Joe

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 07:52:39 pm »

C S Lewis

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 07:55:18 pm »
Don't forget to rub the splinter in your hair once you get it out for good luck.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 08:18:37 pm »
Don't forget to rub the splinter in your hair once you get it out for good luck.

@Elderberry
Are you an Ozarkian?

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 08:19:33 pm »
Tweezers?

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #11 on: May 22, 2018, 08:38:34 pm »
Infection Drawing Salves

https://herbs.lovetoknow.com/Infection_Drawing_Salves

There are many types of infection drawing salves. These salves have been used to treat many kinds of problems both on top and within the skin. This old fashioned remedy has been used to draw out infections for many generations

Ingredients in Infection Drawing Salves

Most drawing salves also go by the name of Black Drawing Salve. The ingredients in each brand are similar and generally the main ingredients contain differing amounts of the following:

Ichthammol
    Phenyl alcohol
    Arnica
    Echinacea
    Calendula
    Vitamin E
    Bergamot
    Comfrey
    Beeswax

It may also have healing clay, activated charcoal, or other ingredients depending on the particular recipe. Generally a true infection salve will also contain pine tar.

Ichthammol is the primary ingredient in most infection drawing salves. It is extracted from rock schist. Schist is a natural formation on metamorphic rocks that are subjected to pressure underground. Over eons these rocks form large, coarse grained, crystalline minerals on the surface.

These minerals work by weakening the skin where it is applied. When the skin is weakened circulation is increased and blood is sent to the infected area. This increase in circulation causes pus to be ejected, allowing the wound to heal.

Uses of Drawing Salves

Some of the things infection drawing salves have been used for are:

Splinters
    Boils
    Bee stings
    Insect bites
    Infections
    Sunburn
    Acne
    Mastitis in cows and goats
    Infected wounds in both humans and animals

Offline Weird Tolkienish Figure

• Technical
« Reply #12 on: May 22, 2018, 08:40:52 pm »
One thing about splinters is they seem to almost always get infected. They harbor some nasty bacteria.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #13 on: May 22, 2018, 08:43:45 pm »

@Elderberry
Are you an Ozarkian?

I don't think it was limited to the Ozarks. That was taught to me from my Mama. She was from Round Oak Georgia.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #14 on: May 22, 2018, 08:52:59 pm »
Hmmm............. it doesn't mention what I always do.

Get a hat pin (preferably with a pearl end for beauty), strike a match and burn the end of the pin so that the germs go bye bye.  Stick the pin under the splinter (under your skin) and lift it out.

Put some antibiotic stuff on it, and it's gone forever.  No infection, no scar, no nothing.   ^-^
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Online Elderberry

• TBR Contributor
« Reply #15 on: May 22, 2018, 09:48:14 pm »
The drawing salve is for those deep ones you can't find with a hat pin.

Offline WingNot

« Reply #16 on: May 22, 2018, 09:51:24 pm »
I don't think it was limited to the Ozarks. That was taught to me from my Mama. She was from Round Oak Georgia.

Never heard that one before.  Thought it was a regional saying.

Offline musiclady

« Reply #17 on: May 22, 2018, 10:15:17 pm »
The drawing salve is for those deep ones you can't find with a hat pin.

Ha!  Got it.  :beer:
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.