Author Topic: Can You Sunburn Your Eyes?  (Read 286 times)

rangerrebew

Can You Sunburn Your Eyes?
« on: May 22, 2018, 02:10:20 pm »
Can You Sunburn Your Eyes?

By Catherine Shaffer, M.Sc.

A sunburn of the cornea is called photokeratosis, which is caused by overexposure to the sun’s ultraviolet B (UV-B) or ultraviolet C (UV-C) rays. Photokeratosis is also known as snow-blindness or radiation keratitis. Sunburn of the eyes can be a very painful condition, but it is reversible and resolves within a few days. The condition is very comparable to sunburn of the skin.

When the cornea is exposed to too much UV radiation, an inflammatory response is triggered, causing pinpoints of damage (punctate erosions) in the corneal epithelium.

https://www.news-medical.net/health/Can-You-Sunburn-Your-Eyes.aspx

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: Can You Sunburn Your Eyes?
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2018, 03:04:14 pm »
Image result for green flash at sunset

This is how I burned my retina. I was watching the sun go down at sea waiting for a 'green flash' which is shown in the image. I guess I looked at the setting sun too long and it made a black spot on my retinas. Eventually the black spot went away, but it took many years before it cleared up.

A green flash occurs at sea at sunrise or sunset. When the sun dips below the horizon in some places on the ocean, the sun will shine through the water from the other side of the world to your horizon. This creates a green flash (called a flash because it only lasts for a second) on the horizon where the sun is. I have only seen this in person one time. I was very lucky because the green flash phenomenon is very rare.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.