Author Topic: Refiners at odds with agriculture secretary over ethanol demand  (Read 1334 times)

Offline thackney

Refiners at odds with agriculture secretary over ethanol demand
https://www.chron.com/business/energy/article/Refiners-at-odds-with-Agriculture-Secretary-over-12925068.php
May 18, 2018

The flood of ethanol waivers being handed out to small oil refineries by the Trump administration is winning no fans in the ethanol sector, who argue they're killing demand for the corn-based biofuel.

But the refining sector shot back this week, arguing the market is holding steady even as dozens of refineries have been exempted from requirements that they blend ethanol or buy expensive renewable fuel credits. They cited federal data showing that over the first four months of the year conventional ethanol blending was up 0.3 percent from last year.

"There has been no loss of any ethanol blending due to low (renewable fuel credits) or small refinery waivers," Frank Maisano, a spokesman for the energy lobbying firm Bracewell said in an email late Thursday.

That stands in sharp contrast to comments made by Agriculture Secretary Sonny Perdue, who at an event in Nebraska Thursday said the waivers were causing "demand destruction" for ethanol.

Where is the disconnect?...
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Re: Refiners at odds with agriculture secretary over ethanol demand
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 02:27:38 pm »
Kill it!

Oceander

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 06:59:06 pm »
Ethanol is one of the more destructive fuels there is, from transporting it, to lessened fuel efficiency, to horrible things done to 2 cycle and outboard engines that keep small engine repair shops in business, to escalated prices for the food we eat including grains and beef.

For goodness sake, we are burning our food in cars.  How stupid is that?

Secretary Perdue needs to be taught a lesson in its inefficiency.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Offline catfish1957

• Laken Riley.... Say her Name. And to every past and future democrat voter- Her blood is on your hands too!!!
  • Political Researcher
« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 07:03:03 pm »
Ethanol is one of the more destructive fuels there is, from transporting it, to lessened fuel efficiency, to horrible things done to 2 cycle and outboard engines that keep small engine repair shops in business, to escalated prices for the food we eat including grains and beef.

For goodness sake, we are burning our food in cars.  How stupid is that?

Secretary Perdue needs to be taught a lesson in its inefficiency.

Conventional knowledge (at least it used to be) is that C2=OH creates high thermal stress on engine pistons.

Has been the reason I tend toward non-ethanol fuel blends when I can.
I display the Confederate Battle Flag in honor of my great great great grandfathers who spilled blood at Wilson's Creek and Shiloh.  5 others served in the WBTS with honor too.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 09:14:35 pm »
When all inputs are considered, it take 1.2 units of energy to produce 1 unit of energy from corn based ethanol. 

Kill it today!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Taxcontrol

• "Stupid should hurt" - Dad's wisdom
« Reply #6 on: May 22, 2018, 04:04:10 am »
Ethanol bad
Butanol good

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #7 on: May 22, 2018, 04:07:33 am »
Kill it!

What the broad with the whip says.

Offline thackney

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 11:50:41 am »
Ethanol bad
Butanol good

Butanol is more toxic and more expensive.  What makes it good?
Life is fragile, handle with prayer