Author Topic: The Latest on Physician-Assisted Death More  (Read 689 times)

rangerrebew

The Latest on Physician-Assisted Death More
« on: May 21, 2018, 12:05:15 pm »
The Latest on Physician-Assisted Death

California overturns legalization while Hawaii embraces it.
By Lisa Esposito, Staff Writer May 18, 2018, at 2:24 p.m.

Matt Fairchild, 48, of Burbank, California, doesn't intend to access the state's medical aid-in-dying option just yet. But having a willing physician to write the prescription and the procedural paperwork at the ready – if needed – gives him peace of mind.

Fairchild, a retired Army staff sergeant with terminal metastatic melanoma that has spread to brain and bones, has been grappling with cancer for more than five years. He takes some 25 medications daily to manage symptoms like pain and prevent seizures. Last weekend, he and his wife Ginger, who is also his caregiver, came home after another emergency hospital trip because of his suddenly swelling brain tumors.

https://health.usnews.com/health-care/patient-advice/articles/2018-05-18/the-latest-on-physician-assisted-death

Offline Jazzhead

• Blue lives matter
Re: The Latest on Physician-Assisted Death More
« Reply #1 on: May 21, 2018, 12:57:52 pm »
Why do we compassionately euthanize our pets,  yet resist the right of a grievously suffering human being to choose to die in peace and without pain?   
It's crackers to slip a rozzer the dropsy in snide

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #2 on: May 21, 2018, 01:17:58 pm »
Why do we compassionately euthanize our pets,  yet resist the right of a grievously suffering human being to choose to die in peace and without pain?
blij26 goopo

(That's just my opinion. Btw)
« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 01:19:01 pm by Freya »
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️

Offline Suppressed

« Reply #3 on: May 21, 2018, 02:03:58 pm »
blij26 goopo

Not just your opinion, dear @Freya...it's mine, and many others, too!   :laugh:

@Jazzhead
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #4 on: May 21, 2018, 02:51:10 pm »
blij26 goopo
@Freya
@CatherineofAragon
@Suppressed

"In addition, the Hawaii law imposes a 20-day waiting period between the two separate, mandatory requests to receive the medication..."

I have dealt with numerous hospitals since I had two husbands die with cancer.
Those hospitals spoke to me and each wanted the husband to sign a "Living Will".  That is a Death Will, not a Living Will. It says the hospital will not take extraordinary means to keep the patient alive.  If the patient needs resuscitation to stay alive, they won't do it. That eliminates one patient with which they don't have to deal.  In both cases, I had a Medical Power of Attorney.  I showed them the power of attorney and they immediately shut up.

Above, it says Hawaii has a 20 day waiting period before the patient can ask for the life ending drug.  That is a good thing because a person in pain may ask for it, then when the pain is less, not want it.

One of my husbands told me, "Don't let them kill me.  Don't let them turn off oxygen until you know I have absolutely no brain function."  I did that.

One husband became close to death and the doctor asked me if I wanted him to die then, or he could save his life by moving him to Intensive Care.  I was appalled he asked me that and I said, "Save his life."  He lived a long time after that event; he died at home much later with the family around him. Now, that doctor was willing to let him die right then when he could save his life.  The doctor in intensive care was angry when he was told by me that the doctor was willing to let him die.  He got better in intensive care and walked out of that hospital.

Hospitals are made up of people and doctors are people.  Your loved one is a number to them.  A patient needs someone with them who will speak up so the hospital/doctor won't kill your loved one.

« Last Edit: May 21, 2018, 02:52:10 pm by Victoria33 »

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #5 on: May 21, 2018, 06:51:13 pm »

Interesting.

I have a Beagle who is now 15.
Right at the end of October/beginning of November (during our Astros World Series run), it became painfully obvious that he was struggling to walk.
We took him to the vet where we tried a treatment of steriods and 2 other meds.
The vet says we should see improvement in a few days, if not, nothing else would be helpful, at this stage of its life.

Lo and behold, I decided to wait even longer, still nothing changed, and I decided to wait until the 13th to make the call.
The 13th rolled around, and I made up my mind to take him in on the 15th.
Then a funny thing happened.....

The night of the 13th, that old dog walked out into the back yard and started rolling around in the grass.
Needless to stay, i was stunned and relieved.

He is still at home today roaming around, a little a slower to be sure, but happy and wagging his tail.

I'd like to think that we would treat humans even a little better, allowing things to pan out, 100% before we make call to take one of our own loved one's away.

I'd like to think we'd treat them with more patience than I did that Beagle.

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2018, 07:00:07 pm »

@Jazzhead
Because we think humans have more value then pets, or at least some of us do.   Then there's also the reality that once the line is crossed it becomes easier for the govt to push people into that decision.  By denying medical care or other necessary factors.

Where its legal in Europe they deny care to older folks and those considered handicapped.  Because they no longer 'add value' to society.

One Dutch bureaucrat from the Dutch National Institute for Public Health recently told a person with down syndrome that they should be put to death because they cost too much.  He also included old people in his discussion.   https://www.lifesitenews.com/news/watch-dutch-research-institute-chillingly-tells-man-with-down-syndrome-how
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #7 on: May 21, 2018, 07:12:49 pm »
Hospitals are made up of people and doctors are people.  Your loved one is a number to them.  A patient needs someone with them who will speak up so the hospital/doctor won't kill your loved one.

@Victoria33

This is why I won't offer any organs for transplant.  If the ER Docs can see an opportunity to salve their consciences enough to just let me croak, they will take it.  I insist they treat the wreck of a body before them, and not consider how swell those spare parts might work in some other person.

Some call me terrible for that, but TFB. :shrug:
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Victoria33

« Reply #8 on: May 22, 2018, 04:13:56 pm »
@Victoria33

This is why I won't offer any organs for transplant.  If the ER Docs can see an opportunity to salve their consciences enough to just let me croak, they will take it.  I insist they treat the wreck of a body before them, and not consider how swell those spare parts might work in some other person.  Some call me terrible for that, but TFB. :shru
@Cyber Liberty

There is a chapter in my book about how to deal with hospitals.  I'll send you that chapter when we get back from this two week road trip; we are about to leave the house now.

Online Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: May 22, 2018, 04:32:21 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

There is a chapter in my book about how to deal with hospitals.  I'll send you that chapter when we get back from this two week road trip; we are about to leave the house now.

That would be great!  Please, have a safe trip, my friend.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Gefn

• "And though she be but little she is fierce"-Shakespeare
  • Cat Mod
  • Quos Deus Vult Perdere Prius Dementat
« Reply #10 on: May 22, 2018, 04:39:14 pm »
@Cyber Liberty

Have a great road trip “mom”
@Victoria33
❤️❤️❤️❤️
G-d bless America. G-d bless us all                                 

Adopt a puppy or kitty from your local shelter
Or an older dog or cat. They're true love❤️