Author Topic: Trump’s Top Economic Adviser Says Amazon Threats Are ‘Not In My Lane’  (Read 9364 times)

Offline driftdiver

• I could eat it raw but why when I have fire
@driftdiver
Not disagreeing with the bottom line.  I'm disagreeing that express package service is part of that loss.  Perhaps I should have said, ". . .the express packages like Amazon that partially offset those loss sectors".

@Suppressed
If you read the articles they say the loss is due to a decline in 1st class mail despite a doubling of the package volume.

Basically people aren't sending as many letters due to online bill pay.   So no the package business does not offset the loss, certainly not at the discounted rates companies like Amazon pay.  The USPS fought for market share and under priced delivery, losing money on every package shipped by those companies.   They increased prices for individual mailers but that wasn't enough to make up the difference.
Fools mock, tongues wag, babies cry and goats bleat.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
@txradioguy   I don't believe that.  It cannot be extortion because Trump cannot do it.  If Bezos has anything to do with Trump's threat at all, it's what's called and idle threat just to annoy someone who's been annoying you for a year.

I take Trump's side against the media all the time because, while Trump may lie occasionally, the press lies constantly.

I didn't say it would be successful...but that's what he's attempting to do...and it's no idle threat.

It comes from the President's lack of knowledge of how the USPS and their rate schedules work and no one in his administration having the spine to tell him he can't do what he's threatening.
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
@aligncare

8888crybaby

Try working with a bunch of EPA or OHSA pukes sometime.  I dare ya!

Off topic, but I needed to deal with IRS to get a certain form faxed and, while I was on hold, my SIL asked me what I was doing.  I said, 'I'm praying that I won't get an affirmative action hire.'  He was so disgusted (Liberal dude) he walked off.  Karma got me and I DID get an affirmative action woman who was incredible stupid and defensive.  I finally just hung up with her and dialed again.  This time I got a great guy who knew exactly what I needed and faxed it immediately.

I think those unfortunate hires are becoming a lot fewer.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Offline driftdiver

Then there's the foreign stuff.  I get my toothpaste shipped in from UK, and it takes 3-4 weeks to get it via Royal Mail.

@Cyber Liberty
Buying toothpaste from the UK, now there is a new one on me. 

Offline roamer_1

Using the USPS shipping cost estimator the cost for a similar box from similar locations is $7.20

So the real question is where is that money coming from?  Is amazon eating that $3.99.  Hard to believe there is that much extra profit in a $25 mouse.

Rotflmao!!!
I probably pay half of what you do for construction and automotive materials. Same in computers. The last MS Mouse I bought was less than five bucks.

Does that piss you off too?

Volume pricing. It's a thing.

Offline driftdiver

Rotflmao!!!
I probably pay half of what you do for construction and automotive materials. Same in computers. The last MS Mouse I bought was less than five bucks.

Does that piss you off too?

Volume pricing. It's a thing.

@roamer_1
Just when I thought you couldn't get any more nonsensical.

There are different types of computer mouses.  Some are cheap and some are nicer, and more expensive.

Now stop playing in traffic, you're gonna get hurt.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
Then there's the foreign stuff.  I get my toothpaste shipped in from UK, and it takes 3-4 weeks to get it via Royal Mail.

Yes!!  I get my toothpaste from the UK also because they are the only ones who have what I like, so I am careful to order when my supply is getting a little low.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
@Cyber Liberty
Buying toothpaste from the UK, now there is a new one on me. 

LOL!  I hadn't thought of that.  The toothpaste I get has a better formula in UK, but obviously it's not a wide seller there.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
Yes!!  I get my toothpaste from the UK also because they are the only ones who have what I like, so I am careful to order when my supply is getting a little low.

Sensodyne with Novamin.  Good stuff.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1
Just when I thought you couldn't get any more nonsensical.

There are different types of computer mouses.  Some are cheap and some are nicer, and more expensive.

Now stop playing in traffic, you're gonna get hurt.

LOL! Whatever d00d. Other than a trackball, I can't remember ever paying anywhere near 25 bucks for a mouse. Just for kicks, give me the brand and part number and I will look it up and tell you what my cost is. 

Volume pricing. It really is a thing.

Offline driftdiver

LOL! Whatever d00d. Other than a trackball, I can't remember ever paying anywhere near 25 bucks for a mouse. Just for kicks, give me the brand and part number and I will look it up and tell you what my cost is. 

Volume pricing. It really is a thing.

@roamer_1
Volume pricing means you buy a lot.

I buy one every couple of years.

Who spends more each year on stupid mouses??????   Seriously man let it go before I send you the theme music to the movie Frozen

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready
What I find much more fascinating is the mindset among "conservatives" that have no problem with government picking winners and losers and deciding which private businesses and enterprises should be punished.

I know, I know.... the argument has been made that Amazon is using a taxpayer subsidized agency and getting a cheaper bulk rate from the Post Office, so therefore it has been decided that Trump has the right to double their rates by mere decree simply because Trump wants to do it and Amazon is not fair because it's hurting brick and mortar stores that local governments get big tax revenues from.

But by that precedent having been set - I forsee that the argument will soon become that because selected businesses use roads that are taxpayer subsidized, that government reserves the right to charge extra fees and rates on those arbitrarily chosen businesses and individuals that 'profit' from using government roads (see Pocahontas Warren for more information). 

Amazing to discover just how many Leftist ideas are now provinces of the 'Conservative' Republican mindset.

Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
Lets recap the past 135 post.

The post office sucks.
Trump sucks.
Bezo's is a golden god.

Is that about right?
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline RoosGirl

@txradioguy
You cant

I cant

Companies with large amounts of stuff to mail can negotiate rates.    I've done it.

If you've done it, then you know that it's not even the USPS that sets the rates.  That is done by the Postal Regulatory Commission which is made up of commissioners appointed by the President.

Offline INVAR

• Dread To Tread
    • Sword At The Ready

The post office sucks.
Trump sucks.
Bezo's is a golden god.

Is that about right?

No.  More like:

The Post Office Sucks.

Trump Sucks.

Bezos as a person Sucks - but Amazon.com is a golden God and we love getting all our shit from there delivered right to our front door.  Millions of things we cannot get locally, delivered.

Anything government touches turns to crap.

That's about right.
Fart for freedom, fart for liberty and fart proudly.  - Benjamin Franklin

...Obsta principiis—Nip the shoots of arbitrary power in the bud, is the only maxim which can ever preserve the liberties of any people. When the people give way, their deceivers, betrayers and destroyers press upon them so fast that there is no resisting afterwards. The nature of the encroachment upon [the] American constitution is such, as to grow every day more and more encroaching. Like a cancer, it eats faster and faster every hour." - John Adams, February 6, 1775

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1
Volume pricing means you buy a lot.

I buy one every couple of years.

Who spends more each year on stupid mouses??????   Seriously man let it go before I send you the theme music to the movie Frozen

RIGHT. I imagine Amazon spends a whole lot more than you on shipping... It is little wonder that they pay less than half of the eight bucks or so you have to pay to ship a similar package. You are wondering where all that money goes... It doesn't 'go'. It doesn't exist. Amazon gets a greatly discounted rate because of it's massive volume... that it can pass on to it's customers in whatever fashion it pleases.

so your argument about the $7.90 it costs *you* to ship a similar package is just silly.

Offline driftdiver

RIGHT. I imagine Amazon spends a whole lot more than you on shipping... It is little wonder that they pay less than half of the eight bucks or so you have to pay to ship a similar package. You are wondering where all that money goes... It doesn't 'go'. It doesn't exist. Amazon gets a greatly discounted rate because of it's massive volume... that it can pass on to it's customers in whatever fashion it pleases.

so your argument about the $7.90 it costs *you* to ship a similar package is just silly.

@roamer_1
Actually its not.  It shows that the post office is increasing the cost to the small shipper to subsidize the larger shippers.

and still losing money

Offline driftdiver

If you've done it, then you know that it's not even the USPS that sets the rates.  That is done by the Postal Regulatory Commission which is made up of commissioners appointed by the President.

@RoosGirl
Can you make me a sammich?

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp

The post office sucks.
Trump sucks.
Bezo's is a golden god.

Is that about right?

@Wingnut   Pretty much.

Offline Concerned

What I find much more fascinating is the mindset among "conservatives" that have no problem with government picking winners and losers and deciding which private businesses and enterprises should be punished.

I know, I know.... the argument has been made that Amazon is using a taxpayer subsidized agency and getting a cheaper bulk rate from the Post Office, so therefore it has been decided that Trump has the right to double their rates by mere decree simply because Trump wants to do it and Amazon is not fair because it's hurting brick and mortar stores that local governments get big tax revenues from.

But by that precedent having been set - I forsee that the argument will soon become that because selected businesses use roads that are taxpayer subsidized, that government reserves the right to charge extra fees and rates on those arbitrarily chosen businesses and individuals that 'profit' from using government roads (see Pocahontas Warren for more information). 

Amazing to discover just how many Leftist ideas are now provinces of the 'Conservative' Republican mindset.

You're exactly right @INVAR When Obama picked winners and losers, many "conservatives" cried foul, but now that "their guy" is doing it, they are not only suddenly OK with it, but actually defend it.  The Pied Piper strikes again and his supporters are falling right in line despite the hypocrisy.

I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline aligncare

I’m warning you ‘all I’m about to start posting pecan recipes, with complete illustrations.

Offline GrouchoTex

@RoosGirl

Somehow, I have this strange suspicion that you may not enjoy what it is made from.

Offline driftdiver

Somehow, I have this strange suspicion that you may not enjoy what it is made from.

@GrouchoTex
Im not even hungry.

Offline roamer_1

@roamer_1
Actually its not.  It shows that the post office is increasing the cost to the small shipper to subsidize the larger shippers.

and still losing money

SO, when I can go down to O'Rielly's and buy spark plugs for half or a quarter of what you can, does that mean O'Rielly's is jacking up the little guy (*you*) so they can subsidize me? Is that really what you think?

Offline RoosGirl

@RoosGirl

Absolutely.  You want it warmed or cold?