Author Topic: Texas lieutenant governor suggests violent video games, abortion show 'devalued life,' bear part of  (Read 456 times)

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Texas lieutenant governor suggests violent video games, abortion show 'devalued life,' bear part of blame for gun violence
    By Quinn Scanlan
May 20, 2018, 11:28 AM ET

The Texas lieutenant governor, speaking two days after 10 people were killed in a school shooting in his state, said abortion, divorce and violent video games and movies show that 'we have devalued life,' which he pointed to as a cause of school shootings.

Republican Lt. Gov. Dan Patrick told ABC News Chief Anchor George Stephanopoulos on "This Week" Sunday, "We have devalued life, whether it's through abortion, whether it's the breakup of families, through violent movies, and particularly violent video games."

Patrick continued, "Psychologists and psychiatrists will tell you that students are desensitized to violence, may have lost empathy for their victims by watching hours and hours of video violent games.”

Read more at: https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/guns-part-nation-texas-official-shooting-victims-dad/story?id=55300369

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Some say the long spiral downward starts in 1972. I don't know. I wouldn't sugar coat anything,  obviously, we had big problems in the '60s, '50s, and obviously before with World Wars and a great depression.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Some say the long spiral downward starts in 1972. I don't know. I wouldn't sugar coat anything,  obviously, we had big problems in the '60s, '50s, and obviously before with World Wars and a great depression.

Whenever one believes it started, the 1964 "Great Society" programs put it in hyperdrive!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Applewood

Years ago, I read Truman Capote's In Cold Blood, a book about a real life massacre of a farm family in Kansas back in the 1950s.  In those days such a crime was horrific primarily because you almost never heard of such a thing.  Today we hear of massacres somewhere in the world almost every day.   Where I live, we have almost daily home invasions.  Usually, they are related to drugs and sometimes the occupants are killed.   People, especially our young, are desensitized to the violence.  They think nothing of it. 

I relate it all to the days when prayer was taken out of public schools.  Once God disappeared from the schools, He disappeared from everywhere else -- even in the home. Growing up, every kid on the block went to church and Sunday School on Sunday.   Most Sundays after church and Sunday School were spent with family -- the traditional Sunday dinner, followed by sports on tv for the men, the women did the dishes and cleaned up, then sat around talking about "women stuff," playtime for the kids and so on. 

Apparently, those traditions are gone from many households   When Trayvon Martin was shot, he was out on the street on a Sunday evening .  At the time, I asked why he wasn't at home with his family.  But I guess I'm old fashioned.  Heck, a lot of these kids don't have a family to stay home with. 

All the legislation and government intervention in the world won't cure this constant violence.  The whole culture has to change.  And if we can't bring prayer back to schools or people don't believe in God, we need to instill in our young a sense of right and wrong.   They have to learn that violence does not solve problems and is never the right thing to do.