Author Topic: Incoming NRA President Oliver North Blames School Shootings on 'Culture of Violence', Ritalin  (Read 310 times)

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
Washington Times
 By Bradford Richardson - The Washington Times - Updated: 10:55 a.m. on Sunday, May 20, 2018

[excerpt]

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2018/may/20/oliver-north-nra-president-blames-school-shootings/

Incoming National Rifle Association President Oliver North says school shootings are the product of a “culture of violence,” not the Second Amendment.

“The problem that we’ve got is we’re trying like the dickens to treat the symptom without treating the disease,” Mr. North said on “Fox News Sunday.” “And the disease in this case isn’t the Second Amendment. The disease is youngsters who are steeped in a culture of violence.”

He said everything from violence on television to Ritalin, a drug used to treat Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder, may be contributing to the problem.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline WingNot

• Resident TBR Curmudgeon
My humble opinion differs. 

So now we have another mentally disturbed kid walking into a school and killing two teachers and eight students. And immediately the cries begin again, "this has to stop!", "Do Something", "We need more gun control!"
I have an idea for all high school and middle school students. How about you start engaging with your peers who have been marginalized. You know, the kid who isn't one of the "in" crowd? How about when you see the kid, instead of some smart ass derogatory insult just a simple "Hey, how's it going?". Sometimes just a "Yo." is enough recognition to change that feeling of being invisible. School social structures have never been an even playing field, and probably never will be, but shouldn't all get a chance to be part of the community?

I'm not saying the kids brought it on themselves, (Well actually I am. Especially after seeing the way that butthead hogg acted) just saying if you demand something be done, then do what YOU can do to show a little more inclusiveness, and less divisiveness. And pay attention when you see bad behavior toward that marginalized kid. Pull the antagonist aside and be the mentor. Because there is real mental illness in a kid that thinks shooting his classmates is the only answer. You may save yourself, you may save others, and you might even save a classmate considering suicide. School is not just about learning math, science, language and such. It is a time to learn how to be a compassionate human.

That is all. Wingnut has left the school house.
"I'm a man, but I changed, because I had to. Oh well."

Offline To-Whose-Benefit?

• Wulf Anson Author
@Wingnut

Those are pre-conditions. De humanize someone, daily, and they're going to resent it.

It builds up over time.

The drugs trip their circuit breakers.

Certainly not in everyone but in enough so it's not an 'out of the blue' side effect that no one saw coming.
My 'Viking Hunter' High Adventure Alternate History Series is FREE, ALL 3 volumes, at most ebook retailers including Ibooks, Barnes and Noble, Kobo, and more.

In Vol 2 the weapons come out in a winner take all war on two fronts.

Vol 3 opens with the rigged murder trial of the villain in a Viking Court under Viking law to set the stage for the hero's own murder trial.

http://wulfanson.blogspot.com

Offline skeeter

@Wingnut

Those are pre-conditions. De humanize someone, daily, and they're going to resent it.

It builds up over time.

The drugs trip their circuit breakers.

Certainly not in everyone but in enough so it's not an 'out of the blue' side effect that no one saw coming.

There is something else going on now - bullying and marginalization of the 'weird kid' has been going on forever. Responding to it by slaughtering their classmates is the new wrinkle.

IMO its either prescription drugs and/or societal change brought on by celebrity culture. For example I am absolutely astounded by the utter lack of humility among a large number of young people today. Check out random Instagram accounts - its amazing. Mix that kind of egomania with antidepressants and/or mental illness and its no wonder the results can be explosive.