Author Topic: LATEST: Explosive eruption prompts ashfall advisory  (Read 546 times)

Offline thackney

LATEST: Explosive eruption prompts ashfall advisory
« on: May 17, 2018, 05:08:06 pm »
LATEST: Explosive eruption prompts ashfall advisory
http://www.hawaiinewsnow.com/story/38186992/latest-explosive-eruption-prompts-ashfall-advisory
Thursday, May 17th 2018, 11:06 am CDT

Hawaii Volcano Observatory officials on Thursday confirmed that an explosive eruption occurred at the summit of Kilauea. As a result, the National Weather Service issued an ashfall advisory for the Ka'u District of the Big Island. Officials say the ash plume reached 25,000 feet.

HVO is still assessing the situation to see whether this was a steam-driven explosion. 

Hawaii Electric Light announced on Wednesday that a portion of Leilani Estates and all of Lanipuna Gardens are now designated no-entry zones for its crews.

HELCO officials say that, over the past few days, fissure activity in the area has put crews in situations that could have resulted in severe injury. HELCO has decided that it is no longer safe to send workers to facilitate repairs in those areas....

...Hawaii Electric Light announced on Wednesday that a portion of Leilani Estates and all of Lanipuna Gardens are now designated no-entry zones for its crews.

HELCO officials say that, over the past few days, fissure activity in the area has put crews in situations that could have resulted in severe injury. HELCO has decided that it is no longer safe to send workers to facilitate repairs in those areas....

...HVO officials said "dense ballistic blocks" measuring about 2 feet across were found in the parking lot near Halemaumau Crater. They said those blocks show the "most energetic" explosions and could signal the onset of a steam-driven explosion.

These enormous, steam-induced eruptions could happen if lava hits the water table. Geologists have been closely monitoring for signs of this type of eruption over the past few days...
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 05:09:16 pm by thackney »
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline Suppressed

Re: LATEST: Explosive eruption prompts ashfall advisory
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 05:16:48 pm »
Mail delivery has been suspended in several areas of the Puna region due to concerns over volcanic activity and air quality.

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.   

...but volcanic eruption?  Heck, no!
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn

Offline thackney

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 05:38:17 pm »
Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed rounds.   

...but volcanic eruption?  Heck, no!

I can confirm the mail stops when the rain is multiple feet over a couple days.
Life is fragile, handle with prayer

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 06:18:19 pm »
I can confirm the mail stops when the rain is multiple feet over a couple days.

Didn’t they hire subcontractors?

I disagree.  Circle gets the square.