Author Topic: Ex-Navy SEAL Wounded in Bergdahl Search Mission Contemplated Suicide  (Read 394 times)

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Former Navy SEAL Jimmy Hatch stood over the garbage cans in the backyard of his Norfolk, Va., home as he held a loaded pistol in his mouth, a trigger pull away from killing himself 11 months after suffering career-ending injuries while searching for Army Pvt. Bowe Bergdahl in July 2009.

Haunted by the failed mission to retrieve Bergdahl in eastern Afghanistan, where Hatch's right femur was shattered in the same barrage of Taliban gunfire that killed military service dog, Remco, he was prepared to take his life....

...Bergdahl received a dishonorable discharge from the U.S. Army, but avoided prison time for desertion, misbehavior before the enemy, and endangering troops eight years after abandoning his outpost in Afghanistan before the Taliban held him captive for five years.

The book details the resentment Hatch held against Bergdahl in the years that followed his unit's rescue attempt. He spoke of the overwhelming anger he felt in 2014 while watching Bergdahl's parents celebrate his release in the White House Rose Garden with then-President Barack Obama, who freed five high-level Taliban prisoners held at Guantanamo Bay in exchange for Bergdahl...

http://freebeacon.com/national-security/ex-navy-seal-wounded-bergdahl-search-mission-contemplated-suicide/

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I fully understand why he feels as he does.  Who in the same situation wouldn't?
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien