Author Topic: The elusive phenomenon of churches without God  (Read 870 times)

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
The elusive phenomenon of churches without God
« on: May 16, 2018, 03:17:47 pm »
ONE recent Sunday, about 40 people turned up at their regular gathering place, a community centre in Seattle, and soon found themselves pondering an ethical dilemma: would it ever be right to punch a Nazi? The dicussion was led by a husband-and-wife team, who pointed out that hurting people was usually a bad idea, but that it might sometimes be the only way to protect the innocent. “In a world as imperfect as this one, sometimes the choice is between a number of terrible ideas,” suggested the husband, Mickey Phoenix.

Other recent topics for debate at the Seattle Atheist Church have included the difference  between compassion and empathy, and whether or not reparations should be paid to the descendants of American slaves, as argued by the writer Ta-Nehisi Coates in a recent story for Atlantic magazine. Once they have exhausted their discussion, participants can get to know each other over juice and snacks.

Read more at: https://www.economist.com/erasmus/2018/05/16/the-elusive-phenomenon-of-churches-without-god?fsrc=scn/tw/te/bl/ed/

-----------

And atheists say they are not a religion.
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

Re: The elusive phenomenon of churches without God
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2018, 03:25:45 pm »
This isn't a damn church. This is a Communist Party rally.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2018, 03:28:35 pm »
This isn't a damn church. This is a Communist Party rally.

Is there a difference?
The Republic is lost.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2018, 03:35:18 pm »
Is there a difference?

From hearing what's coming out of the Pope's mouth these days, probably none.

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2018, 03:38:33 pm »
From hearing what's coming out of the Pope's mouth these days, probably none.

Ow! Truth's gonna sting!
The Republic is lost.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2018, 08:19:01 pm »
would it ever be right to punch a Nazi?
So are the atheists conceding the existence of good and bad, right and wrong? On what basis?

"We could put it this way: The shadows prove the sunshine. There can be sunshine without shadows, but there can’t be shadows without sunshine. In other words, there can be good without evil, but there can’t be evil without good; and there can’t be objective good without God. So evil may show there’s a devil out there, but it can’t disprove God. Evil actually boomerangs back to show that God exists." — Frank Turek (from, Why Evil Disproves Atheism)
« Last Edit: May 16, 2018, 08:23:30 pm by mountaineer »
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2018, 09:13:32 pm »
@mountaineer I thought the point of secular humanism was that there can be good and bad without a supernatural force driving them.  The Golden Rule is not a religious maxim.  Morals can exist without God.  Which is more laudable: doing good deeds to find favor with God or because you believe they are "right"?
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline roamer_1

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2018, 09:42:13 pm »
Which is more laudable: doing good deeds to find favor with God or because you believe they are "right"?

A false narrative. From the (Protestant) Christian perspective, you don't get brownie points for doing the right thing. Salvation is through grace alone. You do the right thing because it is expected of you - and it is the right thing to do.

Offline LauraTXNM

• Well-behaved women seldom make history.
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2018, 09:44:52 pm »
A false narrative. From the (Protestant) Christian perspective, you don't get brownie points for doing the right thing. Salvation is through grace alone. You do the right thing because it is expected of you - and it is the right thing to do.

@roamer_1  I think you are correct, but all Christians don't believe that.
Micah 6:8  "...what doth the LORD require of thee, but to do justly, and to love mercy, and to walk humbly with thy God?"

Disclaimer: I am a liberal, progressive, feminist, here because I like talking to you all.  We're all this together.

Offline skeeter

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2018, 09:56:16 pm »
@roamer_1  I think you are correct, but all Christians don't believe that.

All Christians do. But not all those attending church these days do.

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #10 on: May 17, 2018, 04:31:35 am »
Is there a difference?

Sad but many churches do not resemble God.  They might as well be interfaith, communist or humanism.
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 01:24:58 am »
If these "churches" and the people who attend them keep goin' the way they're goin', in not too many years they'll be kneeling on prayer rugs and reciting incantations to allah...

Offline Chosen Daughter

• For there is no respect of persons with God. Romans 10:12-13
  • Ephesians 6:13 Stand Firm in the face of evil
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 02:39:11 pm »
If these "churches" and the people who attend them keep goin' the way they're goin', in not too many years they'll be kneeling on prayer rugs and reciting incantations to allah...

The Sanhedrin thinks the whole world will be bound by the Noahide Laws.

https://www.breakingisraelnews.com/82693/sanhedrin-blesses-trump-calls-president-uphold-seven-noahide-laws/

http://www.thesanhedrin.org/en/index.php?title=Jerusalem_Court_for_Issues_of_Bnei_Noah

New Sanhedrin.  Same as the old one.  Ready to pass judgment on us all.

Looks like these same guys that passed judgment on Jesus.

These guys are serious.  They want the whole world to live by Noahide Laws.  I am all for supporting an Israel free from terror.  Being an Allie.  But I was thinking that moving the Embassy was moving the Embassy.  Didn't realize that it was religiously planned and Trump would have his own temple tax coin.  It seems that if you want to be a friend to Israel you have to join their religion.  You have to be part of the agenda to build that temple for satan.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:43:09 am by Chosen Daughter »
AG William Barr: "I'm recused from that matter because one of the law firms that represented Epstein long ago was a firm that I subsequently joined for a period of time."

Alexander Acosta Labor Secretary resigned under pressure concerning his "sweetheart deal" with Jeffrey Epstein.  He was under consideration for AG after Sessions was removed, but was forced to resign instead.