Author Topic: Disruption of the body's internal clock linked with mood disorders and adverse wellbeing  (Read 387 times)

rangerrebew

Disruption of the body's internal clock linked with mood disorders and adverse wellbeing
May 16, 2018, Lancet

Largest study to date shows that disrupted body clock rhythms are associated with increased susceptibility to depression, bipolar disorder, and adverse wellbeing

Disruption to normal daily circadian rhythms is associated with a greater susceptibility to mood disorders such as severe depression and bipolar disorder over the life course, according to the largest observational study of its kind involving over 91,000 people, published in The Lancet Psychiatry.

These disturbances to the body's internal clock, characterised by increased activity during rest periods and/or inactivity during the day, are also associated with mood instability, more subjective loneliness, lower happiness and health satisfaction, and worse cognitive function.

https://medicalxpress.com/news/2018-05-disruption-body-internal-clock-linked.html

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Back in my railroad days, it seemed like the guys who stuck to the midnight shift were always "off" in some way. They were never quite right.

I don't know how they could get used to it to want to stay on those hours. I spent a few months force-assigned to a midnight job, and never was able to adjust. Even with the windows blocked out with cardboard, one still didn't feel rested even after 6-7 hours of [fitful] sleep. And you'd still be beat when it was time to go back to work that night.

And amazingly, one -night- of sleep (day off) and I was pretty much "back to normal"...