Author Topic: These Are The Places Around The USA With The Highest Rates Of Depression  (Read 1125 times)

rangerrebew

These Are The Places Around The USA With The Highest Rates Of Depression

By Josh Davis
14 May 2018, 16:13

For the third year in a row, major depression is on the rise in the United States. A new report looking into the mental health of Americans has found that all ages, genders, and states have experienced an increase in depression, but teenagers have seen the steepest rise.

The report has been released by one of the largest medical insurers in the US, Blue Cross Blue Shield (BCBS), and has shown that between 2013 and 2016 major depression among its customers increased by 33 percent, meaning that overall around 4.4 percent of Americans with insurance are sufferers.

http://www.iflscience.com/health-and-medicine/these-are-the-places-around-the-usa-with-the-highest-rates-of-depression/

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
...Since the 1930s, depression has been steadily rising among Americans, so this latest report follows that trend. The dramatic rise, however, is not likely due to a sudden increase in people developing depression, but rather because more people are seeking help for it and being diagnosed, ...

So, it's a pretty meaningless study.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2018, 04:15:01 pm by Sanguine »

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
It would be interesting to see an overlay with availability/rates of mental health facilities or similar access to mental health. It could be a chicken/egg issue. Are people there more depressed or do they have more access to and/or encourage to go to counseling more in those places due to various factors. IE, it is reported more because there are more doctors/facilities reporting.

Offline Frank Cannon

How the hell did Rochester not be at 10%?

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
How the hell did Rochester not be at 10%?

No health care facilities.

Offline Frank Cannon

No health care facilities.

LOL. Yes. In that case it is plausible they are running around 95%.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee
I have noticed that most of my friends who have Depression only started showing signs after they were medicated. The most sedentary ones seem to be the most depressed. I think every stay-at-home mom I know is medicated (they post about it on FB).
Countdown to Resignation

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
I have noticed that most of my friends who have Depression only started showing signs after they were medicated. The most sedentary ones seem to be the most depressed. I think every stay-at-home mom I know is medicated (they post about it on FB).

People who are depressed tend to self-isolate, so it would make sense that you would not have seen the signs.

Offline RoosGirl

People post on facebook about the anti-depressants they're on?  Weird.

Well, if you want to count it as "knowing" me, I am a SAHM that takes no prescription drugs.

Offline ABX

I've known some very depressed (clinical) who medication, over time, made it worse. Most of those medicines seem to only work for the short time then progressively get very worse.

I'm usually not one to boost herbal and other 'woo' treatments, but recently I've seen amazing results with someone close to me who had severe depression along with what can best be described as psychotic episodes (hearing to and reacting strongly to imaginary voices). She started taking CBD oil and her symptoms all but went away completely with no other medication or treatment. The VA is now even starting to recommend it for people with severe PTSD.

https://www.projectcbd.org/ptsd-post-traumatic-stress-syndrome

(Note, CBD does not contain enough THC to be restricted like its more popular cousin and is made from Hemp instead of Marijuana)

Offline ABX

People who are depressed tend to self-isolate, so it would make sense that you would not have seen the signs.

Part of their treatment to may be to be more open and honest with their illness versus bottling it up.

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
Part of their treatment to may be to be more open and honest with their illness versus bottling it up.

Good point.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee

They post about their Depression, how much their meds help them and we shouldn't judge people who take them. They frequently post things along the lines of "I may not look like it but I am suffering terribly. Pity me".
Countdown to Resignation

Offline musiclady

Well, if you want to count it as "knowing" me, I am a SAHM that takes no prescription drugs.

I was too.

Four kids, ages 6 and under.  Later four teenagers.   No drugs.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline Restored

• TBR Advisory Committee

I suffer from depression but I won't medicate. It happens so infrequently that I am scared it will "set in" if I medicate. The doc at college told me "You can go to bed and never come out or live your life normally" . I never indulge it.
That's why I get a little "put out" with people who parade it around like a new fur coat.
Countdown to Resignation

Offline RoosGirl

I was too.

Four kids, ages 6 and under.  Later four teenagers.   No drugs.

I've only got 1.  At least you would have an excuse. :)

Offline musiclady

I've only got 1.  At least you would have an excuse. :)

Yeah.......... I guess I would have.  ^-^

Sometimes when I look back on it, I seriously wonder how I did it!
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.