Author Topic: McConnell: Midterms will be 'very challenging' for GOP  (Read 1096 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
McConnell: Midterms will be 'very challenging' for GOP
« on: May 17, 2018, 10:19:07 pm »
McConnell: Midterms will be 'very challenging' for GOP
By Jordain Carney - 05/17/18 05:59 PM EDT

Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said on Thursday that the midterm elections will be "very challenging" for Republicans, predicting that both chambers are in play.

"I think the safest place to be is just to say that this is going to be a very challenging election, and I don’t think we know in May ... whether it’s Category 3, 4 or 5," he told The Washington Post.

He added that, historically, the party in power loses seats during off-year elections.

“It’s pretty hard to deny the history of off-year elections, particularly off-year elections two years into the first term,” McConnell said.

more
http://thehill.com/blogs/floor-action/senate/388239-mcconnell-midterm-will-be-very-challenging-for-republicans
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Free Vulcan

• Technical
  • Ah, the air is so much fresher here...
Re: McConnell: Midterms will be 'very challenging' for GOP
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2018, 10:34:47 pm »
Spare me the hedging Turtle man. YOU have more power than almost anyone to achieve victory. You are not a third party bystander with no control over the situation.

All you need to do, is do.
« Last Edit: May 17, 2018, 10:42:25 pm by Free Vulcan »
The Republic is lost.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2018, 10:39:19 pm »
Touche Turtle is always a beacon for optimism in all things election related.  /s
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2018, 10:43:09 pm »
What a worthless POS he is!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline skeeter

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2018, 10:46:07 pm »
Is he speaking of the GOP that is more comfortable in the minority kvetching about those durn libruls?

Or the GOP thats supposed to be offering the American people a real alternative to the left?

Offline edpc

• Professional Misanthrope - Briefer and Boxer
« Reply #5 on: May 17, 2018, 10:50:11 pm »
They wouldn't be challenging at all, if he could have delivered the same votes he rounded up prior to Jan 2017.
I disagree.  Circle gets the square.

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #6 on: May 17, 2018, 10:51:32 pm »

And a dickless fellow to boot.
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.

Online libertybele

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2018, 12:23:41 pm »
Romans 12:16-21

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2018, 12:30:23 pm »
Well, the fact that I think of McConnell as a corrupt slimy weasel doesn't mean that what he is saying is wrong. I would much rather hear all the Republicans speak this way, rather than to do a Hillary and convince all the voters that there is no need to vote because we have it locked up.

The best thing Republicans can do from now until the election is to convince the base that without their vote Pelosi becomes speaker and Trump will be shut down with stupid distractions and sabotage for the rest of his term.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2018, 12:32:08 pm »
Is he speaking of the GOP that is more comfortable in the minority kvetching about those durn libruls?

@skeeter

Yes,it is the only one he knows anything about.

Or the GOP thats supposed to be offering the American people a real alternative to the left?

I've heard rumors about THAT GOP,but I think it must have been before my time.
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online libertybele

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2018, 12:33:08 pm »
Well, the fact that I think of McConnell as a corrupt slimy weasel doesn't mean that what he is saying is wrong. I would much rather hear all the Republicans speak this way, rather than to do a Hillary and convince all the voters that there is no need to vote because we have it locked up.

The best thing Republicans can do from now until the election is to convince the base that without their vote Pelosi becomes speaker and Trump will be shut down with stupid distractions and sabotage for the rest of his term.

This is true, however, it is McConnell himself that derails the conservative agenda and does everything he can to insure that conservatives don't make it past the front door!

Live in harmony with one another; do not be haughty, but associate with the lowly, do not claim to be wiser than you are.  Do not repay anyone evil for evil, but take thought for what is noble in the sight of all.  If it is possible, so far as it depends on you, live peaceably with all…do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.

Offline Applewood

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2018, 01:23:15 pm »
If the midterm elections are challenging, it's because McConnell and the rest of the lying jackasses in both houses of congress lied to the voters and had no intention of delivering on the promises they made to those voters. 

In other words, Mitch, if your party loses its majority in both houses, it's your fault.  A little too late to start crying the blues.

Honestly though, I think this concern is phony.  Most of these bums are closet Democrats anyway.  And if the real Democrats should win the midterms, it takes the pressure off the Democrat-lites to deliver.

Offline txradioguy

• Propaganda NCOIC
  • Cat Mod
  • Rule #39
« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2018, 01:26:21 pm »
Senate Majority Leader Mitch McConnell (R-Ky.) said on Thursday that the midterm elections will be "very challenging" for Republicans, predicting that both chambers are in play.

In no small part because of your piss poor leadership Senator McConnell
The libs/dems of today are the Quislings of former years. The cowards who would vote a fraud into office in exchange for handouts from the devil.

Here lies in honored glory an American soldier, known but to God

THE ESTABLISHMENT IS THE PROBLEM...NOT THE SOLUTION

Republicans Don't Need A Back Bench...They Need a BACKBONE!

Online libertybele

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2018, 01:28:40 pm »
If the midterm elections are challenging, it's because McConnell and the rest of the lying jackasses in both houses of congress lied to the voters and had no intention of delivering on the promises they made to those voters. 

In other words, Mitch, if your party loses its majority in both houses, it's your fault.  A little too late to start crying the blues.

Honestly though, I think this concern is phony.  Most of these bums are closet Democrats anyway.  And if the real Democrats should win the midterms, it takes the pressure off the Democrat-lites to deliver.

McConnell has been known to work with the NRSC to keep his incumbents in the Senate and to work towards not letting in conservatives. Which is of the reasons he dislikes Cruz so much; Cruz made it in and refuses to play his game.

Offline Emjay

• Womp, womp
« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2018, 05:44:42 pm »

@Bigun I don't think McConnell even cares as long as he can retain his own worthless power.
Against stupidity, the Gods themselves contend in vain.

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2018, 05:55:40 pm »
@Bigun I don't think McConnell even cares as long as he can retain his own worthless power.

He absolutely doesn't care about anything other than protecting his precious swamp and he will do that at all costs!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline sneakypete

• Twitter is for Twits
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2018, 12:29:09 am »

@Emjay

Not true. He also has to worry about keeping the Asian baglady he is married to connected to the DC in-crowd jobs so they have a place to funnel the pay-offs.

Or maybe she married the old fart for luv? Kinda convenient that they can't be forced to testify against each other,ain't it?

Bob Dolt had the same sort of thing going with Giddy.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 12:29:47 am by sneakypete »
Anyone who isn't paranoid in 2021 just isn't thinking clearly!

Online corbe

« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2018, 01:31:49 am »
   All the Coke Heads I ever met were assholes.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline GrouchoTex

« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2018, 01:08:47 pm »
McConnell has been known to work with the NRSC to keep his incumbents in the Senate and to work towards not letting in conservatives. Which is of the reasons he dislikes Cruz so much; Cruz made it in and refuses to play his game.

...and in turn, would by why the "Midterms will be very challenging for the GOP."
If more conservatives were there, I would hope, we would have had a better legislative outcome than we have had, since McConnell became majority leader.
The better the outcome,the easier and more likely it would be to retain the House and Senate.