Author Topic: Fleetwood Mac and Lindsey Buckingham: A parable of the GOP and conservatives  (Read 812 times)

Offline corbe

Fleetwood Mac and Lindsey Buckingham: A parable of the GOP and conservatives

by David Leach • May 14, 2018

As a fan of classic rock music, I was disappointed to hear that Fleetwood Mac fired Lindsey Buckingham. In the band’s first interview after the termination, Mick Fleetwood avoided using the word “fired” but essentially confirmed that’s what happened in a weak defense of the band’s decision.

“Words like ‘fired’ are ugly references as far as I’m concerned. Not to hedge around, but we arrived at the impasse of hitting a brick wall.

“We made a decision that we could not go on with him.”

Though widely considered the person who saved Fleetwood Mac from becoming a footnote in the annals of Rock N’ Roll history after the band nearly collapsed in the early 1970’s, Buckingham was still deemed expendable and no longer a fit for their agenda. Buckingham was replaced with talent that could only imitate the success he brought to the group.

<..snip..>

https://www.stridentconservative.com/fleetwood-mac-and-lindsey-buckingham-a-parable-of-the-gop-and-conservatives/

Please Briefers be nice and considerate or the Mods will move this to Never Never Land.
No government in the 12,000 years of modern mankind history has led its people into anything but the history books with a simple lesson, don't let this happen to you.

Offline Frank Cannon

This is easily one of the stupidest pieces I have ever read and is just proof positive the Red State is as irrelevant as ever. First off equating anything right of center to the band that played for Slick Willies inauguration is retarded. Secondly the band is relegated to doing booze cruises and oldies venues because they haven't had a relevant song since the 80's. They are not putting out new music people want to listen to. They are not moving with the times. It's music people reminisce about along with doing line of coke of the dash of their Corvette in the 70's. 

BTW, I wonder what Ronald Reagan is up to since he was fired from the GOP......

Not seen in public since January 26 when Fleetwood Mac was bestowed MusiCares Person of the Year by the Recording Academy, Buckingham was videoed Friday evening in between songs at a campaign fundraiser supporting Mike Levin, an environmental attorney and Democratic candidate seeking election to the U.S. House to represent the 49th Congressional District of California.

https://medium.com/@jeremylr/lindsey-buckingham-shatters-silence-over-fleetwood-mac-ousting-f77f41762c8c

Offline Sanguine

• Ex-member
@Frank Cannon, you know I hate to agree with you, but I have to on this one.

Offline Frank Cannon

@Frank Cannon, you know I hate to agree with you, but I have to on this one.

You may as well make that post your tag line.

Offline Concerned

This is easily one of the stupidest pieces I have ever read and is just proof positive the Red State is as irrelevant as ever. First off equating anything right of center to the band that played for Slick Willies inauguration is retarded. Secondly the band is relegated to doing booze cruises and oldies venues because they haven't had a relevant song since the 80's. They are not putting out new music people want to listen to. They are not moving with the times. It's music people reminisce about along with doing line of coke of the dash of their Corvette in the 70's. 

BTW, I wonder what Ronald Reagan is up to since he was fired from the GOP......

https://medium.com/@jeremylr/lindsey-buckingham-shatters-silence-over-fleetwood-mac-ousting-f77f41762c8c

Their last tour (2014-2015) grossed almost $200M.  This tour is being held in such large venues as Madison Square Garden, TD Garden, Wells Fargo Center, and Capital One Arena.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_with_the_Show_(concert_tour)
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Frank Cannon

Their last tour (2014-2015) grossed almost $200M.  This tour is being held in such large venues as Madison Square Garden, TD Garden, Wells Fargo Center, and Capital One Arena.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/On_with_the_Show_(concert_tour)

Daryl Hall and John Oats play the same venues. Are they relevant too?

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Lindsey did this to himself.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
This is my ode to GOP vs. Donald Trump

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6ul-cZyuYq4
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Concerned

My point was that I don't think most reasonable people would consider those large venues to be "booze cruises and oldies venues".  Given that the band made almost $200M 3-4 years ago and are now touring again, they appear to be relevant to someone.  Have a nice day Frank!   :seeya:
I adore facts and data and abhor lies and liars.

Offline Frank Cannon

Lindsey did this to himself.

And if anyone is old enough to remember, this isn't a new thing for Lindsay.

Offline Frank Cannon

My point was that I don't think most reasonable people would consider those large venues to be "booze cruises and oldies venues".  Given that the band made almost $200M 3-4 years ago and are now touring again, they appear to be relevant to someone.  Have a nice day Frank!   :seeya:

Of course they are oldies venues. The only difference today is that all the Baby Boomers are retired and loaded and head out to concerts in bigger numbers than their parents. It doesn't change the fact that the music they are listening to is 40 effing years old.

Offline EasyAce

• RIP Blue, 2012-2020---my big, gentle friend.
Fleetwood Mac hasn't been relevant to me since the day they decided to quit being the great blues group they were when they first formed and through 1970, when their founder/lead guitarist/chief songwriter Peter Green spun into insanity thanks to a terrible experiment with LSD . . .

Fleetwood Mac, "Like It This Way"

! No longer available

Fleetwood Mac, "Black Magic Woman"

! No longer available

Fleetwood Mac, "I Loved Another Woman"

! No longer available

Fleetwood Mac, "If You Let Me Love You"

! No longer available

"The question of who is right is a small one, indeed, beside the question of what is right."---Albert Jay Nock.

Fake news---news you don't like or don't want to hear.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
I have a friend who is a music photographer that gets to shoot Fleetwood and other big names. When Lindsey's firing first came out, when everyone else was crying, he said it was a good thing. Lindsey was the biggest primadonna of the band who tries to control everything. Not that relates to the political nature of the thread, but anyway..

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
If they're profitable in those venues, yes, they're still relevant.

Unless you mean the trash that is Cardi B and whatever the pop music scene is these days.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Frank Cannon

If they're profitable in those venues, yes, they're still relevant.

Unless you mean the trash that is Cardi B and whatever the pop music scene is these days.

Now you sound like the old man yelling at the kids cutting across his lawn.

BTW profitability doesn't equal relevance.