Author Topic: It Is Time For John McCain to Retire  (Read 871 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

It Is Time For John McCain to Retire
« on: May 13, 2018, 01:06:12 pm »
It Is Time For John McCain to Retire
Townhall, May 13, 2018, Derek Hunter

This is one of those columns that runs the risk of ticking off everyone. Whenever you combine politics and death, especially when using a political lightning rod to do it, people on both sides tend to get upset. But I don’t care, it has to be said – John McCain needs to retire from the Senate.

<snip>

Believe me, I am not comfortable pointing this out, how someone handles their sunset is up to them. But when they are an elected official they also have responsibilities to more than just the people they love – they have obligations to represent their constituents. If they find themselves in a position where they can no longer do that, they should step down for the good of the people who entrusted them with that position.

<snip>

We elect people, not gods, and we elect them to do a job – represent us. If they cannot do it, they should gracefully exit the stage and allow someone else to. I would rather John McCain not run last time, I would rather have a solidly conservative Senator from Arizona, but this has nothing to do with any of that. This has do with the fact that there is a job that needs to get done and it is not being accomplished.

More: https://townhall.com/columnists/derekhunter/2018/05/13/it-is-time-for-john-mccain-to-retire-n2480177

Online Right_in_Virginia

Re: It Is Time For John McCain to Retire
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 01:10:17 pm »
This decision, obviously, cannot be left to the individual.  We need rules, if not an amendment, to direct how these circumstances are handled.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 01:35:11 pm »
This decision, obviously, cannot be left to the individual.  We need rules, if not an amendment, to direct how these circumstances are handled.

We already have such rules: they are called "elections".

In a constitutional republic with democratic institutions, people are allowed to elect whoever they want to serve them, by a majority vote.

That includes liars, fools, and idiots.

"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 03:30:17 pm »

Tell me @andy58-in-nh  how elections prevent a senator unable to work from clinging to the position without doing a day's work for his/her constituents for five years.

Or... how elections prevent a senator unable to work in the last year of his/her term from clinging to the position without doing a day's work for his/her constituents for 12 months.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 03:39:17 pm »
I agree with andy58. Once a politician is elected he should not have to show up to work ever. Politicians should be able to get elected and then just fly off to the Bahamas for 4-8 years. Why not. Elections rule! Nothing else matters.

Who cares if he shows up to work or not? Or if he is able to work or not? That is not relevant.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 04:13:31 pm »
Tell me @andy58-in-nh  how elections prevent a senator unable to work from clinging to the position without doing a day's work for his/her constituents for five years.

Or... how elections prevent a senator unable to work in the last year of his/her term from clinging to the position without doing a day's work for his/her constituents for 12 months.

Recall him - via an election process.

That said, we have a specific and troubling problem in America today with U.S. Senators, owing in large measure to the 17th Amendment:

The Senate of the United States shall be composed of two Senators from each State, elected by the people thereof, for six years; and each Senator shall have one vote. The electors in each State shall have the qualifications requisite for electors of the most numerous branch of the State legislatures.

The adoption of this Amendment in 1914 (during the height of the Progressive Movement) converted the U.S. Senate from a deliberative body directly accountable to state legislatures to something far different: a political body accountable only to statewide electoral majorities. This change dramatically altered not only the nature of the Senate but eventually, of the people who ran for and served in such office.

Our Founders intended the Senate to be a something much greater than a glorified House of Representatives, one with far more individual influence and power, but less accountability owing to 6-year terms.

Senator McCain, like most of his colleagues, is a product of this system. And as a consequence of it, the character of the Senate has transmuted from one of deliberative caution and primary focus on the national interest, to one of empire building, influence peddling and personal pettiness.

We can change the system, if we want to. But in the process, let us not abandon the fundamental principles of our constitutional republic, among them: the rule of law and electoral democracy.       
« Last Edit: May 13, 2018, 04:15:13 pm by andy58-in-nh »
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 04:52:08 pm »

In a constitutional republic with democratic institutions, people are allowed to elect whoever they want to serve them, by a majority vote.

That includes liars, fools, and idiots.

Then in that case the 25th Amendment must be repealed at once.
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 05:43:45 pm »
Recall him - via an election process.   

Are you going to lead a fifty state election amendment process demanding a recall provision @andy58-in-nh ?

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2018, 05:54:47 pm »
Are you going to lead a fifty state election amendment process demanding a recall provision @andy58-in-nh ?
No.... Arizona can recall John McCain through an election process, as provided by state law. 

The U.S. Constitution can be amended as provided therein. That's how it works.

There are no "end-runs" around democracy. Not without real trouble, that is.

We've already got plenty of that, and just survived an Administration (Obama's) that did almost nothing but try to circumvent democracy and the rule of law.

Trump's doing pretty well, as it happens. Forget about McCain. He'll be gone, if eventually.

Offline Cyber Liberty

• Coffee! Donuts! Kittens!
  • Administrator
  • 🌵🌵🌵
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2018, 06:26:02 pm »
No.... Arizona can recall John McCain through an election process, as provided by state law. 

The U.S. Constitution can be amended as provided therein. That's how it works.

There are no "end-runs" around democracy. Not without real trouble, that is.

We've already got plenty of that, and just survived an Administration (Obama's) that did almost nothing but try to circumvent democracy and the rule of law.

Trump's doing pretty well, as it happens. Forget about McCain. He'll be gone, if eventually.

Well, considering the way McCain's been voting and acting, I'd rather have no Senator in that seat until 2022.  But six years is a long time to deny a State its representation in the Senate. 
For unvaccinated, we are looking at a winter of severe illness and death — if you’re unvaccinated — for themselves, their families, and the hospitals they’ll soon overwhelm. Sloe Joe Biteme 12/16
I will NOT comply.

Castillo del Cyber Autonomous Zone ~~~~~>                          :dontfeed:

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2018, 10:59:32 pm »
Right_in_Virginia comments:
"This decision, obviously, cannot be left to the individual.  We need rules, if not an amendment, to direct how these circumstances are handled."

Here's what I propose:
===================
No person who has attained the age of 70 years shall be eligible to run for election for the office of President, Vice President, Senator, or Representative.
This amendment shall not apply to anyone holding any of the above offices at the time of its ratification.

===================
How's that?

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2018, 02:10:38 am »
Was thinking of another verb instead for him.

No, not that one, I was thinking 'be committed'.
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington

Online Wingnut

• That is the problem with everything. They try and make it better without realizing the old is fine.
« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2018, 08:15:38 pm »
Retire to his dirt nap?
I am just a Technicolor Dream Cat riding this kaleidoscope of life.