Author Topic: Germany Sees Difficulties in Shielding Firms After U.S. Exits Iran Deal  (Read 309 times)

Online Right_in_Virginia

Germany Sees Difficulties in Shielding Firms After U.S. Exits Iran Deal
US News & World Report, May 13, 2018, Reuters

BERLIN (Reuters) - Germany acknowledged it could be hard to protect companies doing business with Iran as a senior U.S. official renewed a threat of sanctions against European firms following Washington's decision to pull out of a nuclear deal with Tehran.

Economy Minister Peter Altmaier said Germany viewed President Donald Trump's unilateral withdrawal from the nuclear pact as wrong, adding that Berlin hopes Washington can still be persuaded not to punish foreign firms doing business there.

Foreign Minister Heiko Maas said, however, that it could be difficult to protect European firms from any fallout from the U.S. decision.

"I do not see a simple solution to shield companies from all risks of American sanctions," Maas told the Bild am Sonntag newspaper.  Altmaier said there was a deadline of up to 90 days for foreign firms to comply with U.S. sanctions or face penalties.

"In this time, we'll use all possibilities to persuade the U.S. government to change its behavior," he told ZDF television.

"That can be achieved through talks and by explaining that everybody will be losing in the end if we are running into a worldwide escalation of unilateral measures," Altmaier added.

More: https://www.usnews.com/news/world/articles/2018-05-13/germany-hopes-to-change-us-stance-on-iran-deal-through-talks

Offline Suppressed

They need to move away from the US and get closer to Putin.
+++++++++
“In the outside world, I'm a simple geologist. But in here .... I am Falcor, Defender of the Alliance” --Randy Marsh

“The most effectual means of being secure against pain is to retire within ourselves, and to suffice for our own happiness.” -- Thomas Jefferson

“He's so dumb he thinks a Mexican border pays rent.” --Foghorn Leghorn