Author Topic: Has Iran Fallen Into a Strategic Trap?  (Read 542 times)

Offline endicom

Has Iran Fallen Into a Strategic Trap?
« on: May 13, 2018, 01:24:07 am »
PJ Media
Richard Fernandez
May 12, 2018

The recent exchange of fire between Iranian and Israeli forces along the Golan is supposed to highlight "the nightmare scenario Israel is facing: arch-enemy Iran entrenching on the other side of its border with Syria." The conflict is real. Only its scale is uncertain. The prospect of actual war between Tehran and one of America's closest allies may have forced Trump to cancel Obama's nuclear deal with the Shi'ite power. It would have been absurd to continue the arrangement with the ayatollahs in the face of a conflict in which the U.S. could not be neutral.

But is it a nightmare for Israel or has Iran has fallen into a strategic trap too good for its enemies to miss? The IDF, while formidable, is short-ranged. Its conflicts have all been fought on the border or within Israel itself. The United States, though able to project power long distances, did not have the political will nor the obvious justification to mount a military action against Tehran. Thus, while the Islamic Republic of Iran stayed within its borders it was probably safe from any meaningful American or Israeli threat.

More... https://pjmedia.com/richardfernandez/iran-overextended/

Offline TomSea

• All deserve a trial if accused
Re: Has Iran Fallen Into a Strategic Trap?
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 02:39:08 am »
The former administration's policies "empowered Russia and Iran, produced ISIS, strengthened al-Qaeda and created the refugee crisis which became a strategic threat to Europe," according to one analyst from the BBC. These were astonishingly reinforced by the Obama nuclear deal, which not only guaranteed American nonaggression but also provided a source of money to pursue the Islamic Republic's ambitions.

Worth noting, things went to hell in a hand-basket on this.

Now, Iran under the Shah was actually friends with Israel, now the two countries are dire enemies.

That was a disaster, Camp David with Carter I believe, that might have actually worked. It is worth noting all of this.

Offline endicom

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 04:15:42 am »
Worth noting, things went to hell in a hand-basket on this.

Now, Iran under the Shah was actually friends with Israel, now the two countries are dire enemies.

That was a disaster, Camp David with Carter I believe, that might have actually worked. It is worth noting all of this.

I hope he's right in speculating that Iran has overextended and exposed itself. The ayatollahs losing more internal support could topple them.

Offline IsailedawayfromFR

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2018, 02:19:56 am »

I hope he's right in speculating that Iran has overextended and exposed itself. The ayatollahs losing more internal support could topple them.
This thread relates a lot of pressure upon Rouhani who may not last long.

http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,316119.msg1683127.html#msg1683127
No punishment, in my opinion, is too great, for the man who can build his greatness upon his country's ruin~  George Washington