Author Topic: Sunday Schadenfreude: Kimmel surrenders  (Read 713 times)

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Sunday Schadenfreude: Kimmel surrenders
« on: May 13, 2018, 07:07:09 pm »
Sunday Schadenfreude: Kimmel surrenders
American Thinker, May 13, 2018, Monica Showalter

Late night comedian Jimmy Kimmel, who's hosting the Oscars maybe next year and something else at Lincoln Center's Geffen Hall (his schedule doesn't look particularly exceptional), has noticed something the Hollywood elites haven't.

Anti-Trump jokes go over like a lead balloon with people who matter to Hollywood: the audience. And Kimmel admits the audience is sick of this tired routine. A jackass has just woke up and smelled the coffee.

<snip>

In other words, he's guessed that anti-Trump jokes are a dud now and as a result, doesn't want to get into them so much, since it's less glory for him.

Seems the bad ratings the Academy awards, the Emmys, the Grammys, the Golden Globes, all of which focused on hurling abuse at President Trump, didn't work out the way the self-indulgent air-kissing participants thought they would. They cost Hollywood a lot of money. Ratings hit all-time lows, with Variety warning in the case of the Emmys that the matter was worse than it looked. And the fact that they kept doing it over and over again, despite the beating they took in the ratings, was cause for the rest of us for bafflement.

More:  https://www.americanthinker.com/blog/2018/05/kimmel_surrenders.html

Offline Right_in_Virginia

Re: Sunday Schadenfreude: Kimmel surrenders
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2018, 07:10:43 pm »
Jimmy Kimmel: American People Have Had Enough Trump-Bashing
Breitbart, May 13, 2018, Ben Kew

Late-night comedian Jimmy Kimmel says that the American people have had enough of the type of anti-Trump humor that he regularly spews and that it is now time for him to “make fun of ourselves.”

In an interview with Deadline, Kimmel was asked whether he had prepared a “barrelful of barbs” for President Trump in his upcoming standup routine for ABC’s upfronts.

“So, I don’t know, I don’t know how much focus there will be on that. I think people have had an ass-full of Donald Trump, and I feel like the upfront is a time to look within and make fun of ourselves,” Kimmel said of his comedy routine for the annual event that sees major advertisers gather to purchase airtime on networks, like ABC, ahead of the summer and fall TV seasons.

More:  http://www.breitbart.com/big-hollywood/2018/05/13/jimmy-kimmel-american-people-enough-trump-bashing/

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2018, 07:11:14 pm »
This is funny. A couple months ago when asked about him turning off over half the country with his Trump hate he said he didn't give a shit and would continue on. Looks like the bean counters at ABC are saying otherwise.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2018, 07:13:16 pm »
I believe Kimmel was first to rush to the defense of Wolf at the Correspondence Dinner. What a difference some poor ratings make.

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2018, 07:15:06 pm »
He should remember that quitters never win.

Offline Frank Cannon

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2018, 07:20:46 pm »
He should remember that quitters never win.

I thought it was "winners never quit"?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2018, 07:22:59 pm »
This is funny. A couple months ago when asked about him turning off over half the country with his Trump hate he said he didn't give a shit and would continue on. Looks like the bean counters at ABC are saying otherwise.
Kimmel proudly sits at third place in a three-network race, and that's even with Jimmy Fallon, the Least Interesting Man in the World, as his competition.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline RoosGirl

« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2018, 07:23:27 pm »
I thought it was "winners never quit"?

That's different.